Finals Week 1 Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Allianz Stadium, Friday 12 September 2014
Kickoff 7:55pm

Referees: Shayne Hayne, Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials: Russell Turner, Dave Munro; Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Luke Patten;
MAN-LUteams.png

1. Brett Stewart 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Jamie Lyon 4. Steve Matai 5. Peta Hiku 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Josh Starling 9. Jayden Hodges 10. Brenton Lawrence 11. Anthony Watmough 12. Justin Horo 13. Tom Symonds
14. Jesse Sene-Lefao 15. Dunamis Lui 16. James Hasson 17. Jason King
SOU-LUteams.png

1. Greg Inglis 2. Alex Johnston 3. Dylan Walker 4. Kirisome Auva'a 5. Lote Tuqiri 6. Luke Keary 7. Adam Reynolds 8. George Burgess 9. Issac Luke 10. David Tyrrell 11. Kyle Turner 12. John Sutton 13. Sam Burgess
14. Jason Clark 15. Chris McQueen 16. Luke Burgess 17. Thomas Burgess 18. Bryson Goodwin 19. Ben Lowe 20. Joe Picker
Official Match Hashtag: #NRLFinals

Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers
Allianz Stadium, Saturday 13 September 2014
Kickoff 5:50pm

Referees: Jared Maxwell, Henry Perenara; Sideline Officials: Jason Walsh, Michael Wise; Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea;
SYD-LUteams.png

1. Anthony Minichiello 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Michael Jennings 4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall 5. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 6. James Maloney 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Mitchell Aubusson 10. Sam Moa 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Sonny Bill Williams 13. Isaac Liu
14. Jackson Hastings 15. Remi Casty 16. Dylan Napa 17. Kane Evans 18. Heath L'Estrange
PEN-LUteams.png

1. Matt Moylan 2. Josh Mansour 3. Dean Whare 4. Jamal Idris 5. Dallin Watene Zelezniak 6. William Smith 7. Jamie Soward 8. Sam McKendry 9. James Segeyaro 10. Brent Kite 11. Sika Manu 12. Matt Robinson 13. Nigel Plum
14. Lewis Brown 15. Jeremy Latimore 16. Ben Murdoch-Masila 17. Sam Anderson 18. David Simmons

North Queensland Cowboys v Brisbane Broncos
1300SMILES Stadium, Saturday 13 September 2014
Kickoff 7:55pm

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Ben Cummins; Sideline Officials: Steve Carrall, Brett Suttor; Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Luke Phillips;
NQL-LUteams.png

1. Michael Morgan 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Tautau Moga 4. Kane Linnett 5. Antonio Winterstein 6. Robert Lui 7. Johnathan Thurston 8. Matthew Scott 9. Rory Kostjasyn 10. Ashton Sims 11. Gavin Cooper 12. Tariq Sims 13. Jason Taumalolo
14. Ray Thompson 15. Scott Bolton 16. Glenn Hall 17. James Tamou
BRI-LUteams8.png

1. Justin Hodges 2. Daniel Vidot 3. Corey Oates 4. Dale Copley 5. Lachlan Maranta 6. Ben Barba 7. Ben Hunt 8. Josh McGuire 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Corey Parker 11. Alex Glenn 12. Matt Gillett 13. Sam Thaiday
14. Jarrod Wallace 15. Martin Kennedy 16. Ben Hannant 17. Todd Lowrie 18. David Hala

Melbourne Storm v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
AAMI Park, Sunday 14 September 2014
Kickoff 4:10pm

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Gavin Morris; Sideline Officials: Nick Beashel, Grant Atkins; Video Referees: Steve Clark, Luke Patten;
MEL-LUteams.png

1. Billy Slater 2. Sisa Waqa 3. Will Chambers 4. Mahe Fonua 5. Marika Koroibete 6. Ben Roberts 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith 10. Bryan Norrie 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Ryan Hoffman 13. Ryan Hinchcliffe
14. Tim Glasby 15. Tohu Harris 16. Junior Moors 17. Jordan McLean 18. Dayne Weston 19. Justin O'Neill
CBY-LUteams.png

1. Sam Perrett 2. Corey Thompson 3. Josh Morris 4. Timoteo Lafai 5. Mitch Brown 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Trent Hodkinson 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Michael Ennis 10. James Graham 11. Josh Jackson 12. Tony Williams 13. Greg Eastwood
14. Dale Finucane 15. David Klemmer 16. Frank Pritchard 17. Moses Mbye 19. Reni Maitua 20. Harlan Alaalatoa 21. Pat O'Hanlon

After a crazy round of footy, we finally have our Top 8 teams who will battle it out for the opportunity to declare that they're the best. The stakes are higher, the footy is a lot more focus and teams very rarely die wondering - welcome to Finals 2014.

It all kicks off on Friday with Manly taking on Souths in a match that will see the victor advance to Week 3 of the finals. It's a fantastic prize at this stage of the season and I'm sure neither team will leave anything in the tank in this one. A lot has been made about the status of Manly, but they typically revel in these sort of conditions and still have plenty of class in Lyon, Foran, DCE & Watmough. For mine, this is Souths premiership to win and they really need to make a statement here after a fairly indifferent month of footy. The key for them will be starting each half strongly. If they give this Manly team a sniff, they'll take it but if they crush their spirits early, I can see Souths taking this game rather comfortably.

My Tip: Souths by 8.

On Saturday we have the other Qualifying Final as the minor premiers the Sydney Roosters face off against the plucky Penrith Panthers in what should be an intriguing clash. A few weeks ago, I looked at the Penrith Panthers similarly to the Oakland A's in so much that they have a nice story but when it comes down to crunch time, they'll be found wanting. However, in recent weeks they've displayed some tremendous resolve and with the likes of Moylan, Segeyaro, Soward etc. all stepping up I can actually envision a bit of a boil-over in this game. In the end, I've gone the Roosters as I believe they have too much class around the field for Penrith to handle but I truly believe the Panthers will give them plenty to think about.

My Tip: Sydney by 4.

We then travel up North to our first Elimination Final of the weekend as traditional rivals North Queensland host Brisbane in a game that has an eery sense of deja vu from 2012. On that night, the Cowboys handed Brisbane a reality check and outside of Hodges setting up a few tries from fullback, there wasn't a whole lot for Brisbane fans to cheer for. I believe the Broncos head into this game in better shape than on that occasion but still it's very difficult to see them being anything more than fodder for the Cowboys who will be heading into these finals to make a statement. I suspect it will be a close tense game but the Cowboys will be too strong across the 80 minutes and put Brisbane away in the second half.

My Tip: Cowboys by 14.

Then on Sunday we have the second Elimination Final with Melbourne hosting Canterbury. I won't mince my words with this, Melbourne will win and win comfortably. The Bulldogs have done incredibly well to make it as far as they have - Des has well and truly gotten the most out of his squad but they're a spent force and the Origin period that was once so kind has proven a real hindrance on his men. The only question I have heading into this match is Storm by how many? If they can rack up a score, it may just give them the confidence to make a real impact in the finals. If they just squeak by or coast, I believe they'll be out in Week 2.

My Tip: Storm by 12.

Of course one of the best parts of Finals Footy is the uncertainty and unpredictability of the occasion. Anything can happen - key injuries, 7 tackle sets, video referees pushing the wrong button - we've seen it all and hopefully we'll see plenty more this weekend. I hope all you join us as we digest all the games as they happen and even post updates on all the other competitions such as the NYC, ISC & NSW Cup...but mostly the former two.

I don't think Cowboys will be as strong as people suggest.

Apart from Rabbitohs & Panthers, they haven't had a tough run and haven't exactly been playing teams at the top of their game.

Bulldogs
Titans
Tigers
Panthers
Rabbitohs (with help from the refs and video ref)
Sharks
Manly (a bit out of form & missing players that are a crucial part of their attack and go forward)

They will more than likely beat the Broncos, but I can't see them making it to the preliminary final.

There is usually an upset or two, and I think the upset will be Bulldogs beating Storm.

Last edited:
As I said earlier, when it comes to the finals, it isn't all about the NRL - I really enjoy following the other competitions and watching all the other talent do their thing so I'm hotly anticipating the Tigers v Rabbitohs NYC clash in a few hours time.

I know last week all eyes were on the make-up of the NRL table, but any NYC fans (all 3 of us) could tell you that the final round was just as influential and intriguing. 11 teams had a chance to qualify with the final spot in the 8 being determined by a Mason Lino sideline conversion right on the hooter. It sunk the Panthers and gave Souths their opportunity.

It's been a fairly topsy turvey season for Souths as a lot of their better juniors in Dylan Walker, Alex Johnstone, Cam McInnes & Aaron Gray have all been promoted and one of their more exciting prospects in Irae Simone, who participated in the Auckland 9s, suffered an injury which I believe will keep him out for the rest of the season. However, over the recent weeks the likes of centre John Olive and backrow Tulsa Saumamao have stood up and really helped carry Souths over the line in their encounters with the Cowboys, Bulldogs & Roosters.

Meanwhile, the Tigers continue their good run in their juniors, qualifying for their 5th NYC finals campaign from 7 seasons. They're another club that has been hamstrung by promoting their best talent - the likes of Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses & Matt Lodge but they still have so much talent in the likes of Cherrington, Milone, Liolevave & Maire Martin that they've still been able to qualify quite comfortably.

It appears Wests will be missing Cherrington for this do or die clash but in a timely boost will welcome Matt Lodge from first grade duty as I believe he JUST qualifies for the NYC on the back of playing 13 games, which is more than he played for Easts & the Tigers NSW and NRL side.

This will be my first proper look at both teams and of course I'll be loading this thread up with thoughts. Really looking forward to see some of these young Tigers but also want to keep an eye on Olive who's been receiving a lot of hype lately amongst the junior ranks.

Manly are such a tough team but are missing too many tonight, I'm expecting 13+ from Souths.

Ballin & Buhrer will be sorely missed, plus compare Souths' forward rotation to Manly's for a mismatch, there wont be any heroics from last years prelim and they'll most likely go down to the Storm next week.

Mitchell Moses named at fullback for the Tigers NYC side.

Will need to check the eligibility rules because I was certain that he hadn't played enough games to qualify. He only played 8 games prior - I was certain he played more in the NSW Cup/NRL.

EDIT: Cam McInnes comes in for John Olive. Disappointed to see Olive drop out but that's a big in for the Rabbits.

Last edited:
Manuleleua drops Martin bomb straight into the hands of Funaki who passes it onto Hoeter who scores in the corner.

6-0 Tigers.

While the video referee was looking at it, all Braybrook did was bitch about the referee having the audacity to refer to it upstairs. FFS...

12-0 Tigers

Very soft try - Levido accepts a pass from Lodge, takes it to the line and puts Funaki over on the fringe.

9 minutes in and the Rabbits have yet to have a set.

17 - Martin throws a long pass to Ogden who scores a fairly comfortable try down the corner. Tigers 16-0.

Souths had their opportunities after two consecutive penalties but Saumamao bombed it going himself instead of passing when Souths created the overlap.

29 - Good second-man spread down the left provides Makoare-Boyce time and space to set up his winger Manuleleua who brushes off Moses as he plants the ball over.

Tigers 16-6.

Is this game even a contest?

I've been trying to watch it, but unfortunately the storm here is interrupting with the signal.

Half-Time 16-6.

Started terribly for Souths but they've dug deep and while it may not come across on the scoreboard, the game has been pretty even since they've been able to hold onto the ball.

Just a couple of poor last tackle options have hurt Souths - they've run from dummy half and put through a few chips when they should have gone the bomb or grubber.

Stand outs for me have been Souths: Makoare-Boyce, McInnes, Whitelaw & Williams.

For the Tigers: Lodge, Liolavave, Funaki, Graham & Grant were their strongest. Martin has done a couple of good things too - Moses has been a bit disappointing.

45 - From the tap, Brock Gray just smashes his way through Marshall-King and Moses to score underneath the posts

Tigers 16-12

This game reminds me a lot of the last EF the Tigers NYC side participated in. Blew Brisbane off the park in the opening few minutes until the Broncos bench of Ofahengaue and co. came on and got them back into it.

48 - West Tigers No Try.

Well that was something. Makoare-Boyce lets Levido's bomb to drop which bounced straight back to the field of play eventually to Kazzi to score but he was deemed off-side.

Now Moses knocks on.

51 - Souths Try

Tangitii throws a face ball to Gosiewski who charges through on the right fringe and scores a fairly soft try. Bit of controversy surrounding the play the ball where the ref should have called a penalty one way or another but it's been let go.

18-16 Souths.

58 - Tigers No Try

Martin throws a forward pass to Heleta who was looking for try no 21 for the season.

Score remains 18-16

Big pause in the game as Cassel hits Tangitii late with a shoulder charge.

Very lucky to be on the field.

59 - Souths No Try.

Felila crashes over but in trying to plant the ball loses it.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Alec
  • johnyE
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Griffo
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • bazza
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.