Finals Week 1

Broncos win by 16 against the Titans

Sharks score 16 against the Raiders

Storm score 16 against the Cowboys

Panthers win by 16 against the Dogs

**** I love finals footy, so good.

If the NRL was drawing big crowds, I could understand it. But I'd be surprised if the game draws more than 30K.

I said this last week.

The crowd was 22 631.

I think it would be a negative move to go back to smaller venues for the NRL, but they've got to market these games better.

Thank god the fucking Dogs are knocked out. Grubby as ****, and don't have the talent of even the Titans.

Trying to get a read on the Canberra/Cronulla game...

Is it just me, or was neither side that impressive?

I thought the Raiders went in with the right attitude, but the loss of Austin and eventually Hodgson was telling. I didn't think they used their biggest strength, their right edge enough and found it odd how little Leilua in particular received the football. If you could pick one defensive flaw in the Sharks, it would be their left edge with Maloney and Leutele yet they rarely targeted that space.

For mine, they looked like a team that was short on finals experience. They did enough to stay in the contest (good completions, some desperate cover defence) but not enough to put the Sharks to the sword.

Meanwhile, I thought the Sharks were incredibly bipolar on the evening. Like the Storm game, their execution at critical moments let them down and they kept the Raiders in the contest with their poor play. In fact, had it not been for Sezer's awful attempt at field goal, I struggle to see how they get to the other side of the field. Fifita was already beginning to throw miracle offloads just to keep his side in the game at that point.

It wasn't a good performance by Cronulla, but it was enough to put them in the driver's seat heading into the prelim final. With Gal and Graham back, they should be more effective in the ruck and you'd have to think they'll have more room for improvement. It's just a matter of how they'll go with either North Queensland or Brisbane. They'd fancy their chances, particularly against Brisbane where they should be able to win the ruck with ease, but they're going to have to produce their best 80 minute performance in months.

As for Canberra, I think they'll struggle against the Panthers, especially given the form of Matt Moylan. I just think the Panthers have more direction at this stage and the loss of Hodgson is massive. I think they're only hope is if they roll the dice with Leilua and just have him go ham on Tyrone Peachey. If they can use the likes of Shannon Boyd, Juniour Paulo and Joseph Tapine to create the space for Leilua that will be the go. Otherwise, I just think the Panthers will have too many points for them. Either way, it should be a cracker of a game.

Trying to get a read on the Canberra/Cronulla game...

Is it just me, or was neither side that impressive?

The media have been going on about the Sharks performance ... saying how impressive they were against the Raiders.

I only saw the second half but didn't think either side were overly good.

The NSW side of the finals draw definitely seems much lower in class and performance at present. I think you are looking at the winner coming from the three non-NSW teams left...unless they blow each other away first.

Sharks and Raiders both ran out of steam in that second half. Compare to the other games which were full-bore for 80 minutes...and I think both will be knocked out in their next games. Panthers will win and face Melbourne; Sharks will get taken down by the winner of Broncos/Cows, unless the NRL has their say.. :spy:

If the Raiders are without Hodgson for Saturday I think the Panthers will knock them out. Hodgson has been the heart of the Raiders this year and they will be brought down a fair few pegs without him.

If the Raiders are without Hodgson for Saturday I think the Panthers will knock them out. Hodgson has been the heart of the Raiders this year and they will be brought down a fair few pegs without him.

I'm not so sure. I think they can cover him for a week, now that they're expecting it. They can't play Hodgson this week imo, no way he goes for 3 games with that injury after only having a week off.

Active Now

• john1420
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • Fatboy
  • Swordfish
  • Big Del
  • Browny
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • azza.79
  • kman
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • porouian
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Broncs1459
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Rambstien
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.