Finals Week 1

**** I hate the NRL. It is just fucking choreographed. As much as I wanted the Cows to win, and as awesome as it was for Fifita to want to have all the glory and not just run hard to set up for the FG, the Cows were gifted the score-evening goal.

If the scores were locked up, the "strip" would have been called a knock-on. It was a knock-on, Fensom just lost it. But because the two points would even up the scores, the refs were aching for a potential penalty to be found. Bingo.

Lo and behold, a couple of minutes later, Gallen ***** up. It was called a lost ball as it should have been, but nine times out of ten they blow that as a penalty and ping the defence for holding on too long. But because the scores were already even, no penalty. Because that would decide the game and the refs don't want to be seen as deciding the game via penalties.

Which is the other thing that shits me. What's the difference between deciding the game via a penalty, and denying a team legitimate victory by blowing a penalty to even up the scores? Sure they get to play the game out longer and the dudded team get some right of reply, but the game should have been over.

**** I hate the NRL. It is just fucking choreographed. As much as I wanted the Cows to win, and as awesome as it was for Fifita to want to have all the glory and not just run hard to set up for the FG, the Cows were gifted the score-evening goal.

If the scores were locked up, the "strip" would have been called a knock-on. It was a knock-on, Fensom just lost it. But because the two points would even up the scores, the refs were aching for a potential penalty to be found. Bingo.

Lo and behold, a couple of minutes later, Gallen ***** up. It was called a lost ball as it should have been, but nine times out of ten they blow that as a penalty and ping the defence for holding on too long. But because the scores were already even, no penalty. Because that would decide the game and the refs don't want to be seen as deciding the game via penalties.

Which is the other thing that shits me. What's the difference between deciding the game via a penalty, and denying a team legitimate victory by blowing a penalty to even up the scores? Sure they get to play the game out longer and the dudded team get some right of reply, but the game should have been over.
They were trying all weekend to get games close enough to go to extra time and they got there eventually.

Come on Dex, not even his biggest fan could have predicted he was capable of this.
I'll be the first to put my hand up. Never thought he would take it to this level. Always saw him as a FB or centre, 5/8 at a pinch, but credit where it's due.

The best part is that he's another Qld'er, and alleviates the concern about losing JT and Cronk soon after, because we will still have the best halves in Origin with Milf, Munster and Morgan playing at their best.

I just watched a replay of the Storm v Eels game and I have got to say, barring a sudden miracle from the Broncs actually playing to their potential, I just watched the Grand Final dress rehearsal. We know the Storm are amazing but I also think the Eels are not getting the credit they deserve, they are one heck of a team and the clear number two behind the Storm with daylight third.

I want to be wrong because the only other team that can rise to the level those two are playing at is us but we just haven't put it together all season, it is unlikely to happen now so I really think that was your dress rehearsal right there because the quality of that game was about ten levels higher than anything else I saw this weekend.

The Eels are grossly underrated but I also feel the same for the roosters. They have just chipped away all season, nothing special and they now have their full side back on the park, I think.

Did anyone see their stats this year, something like 12 games they won 1-6, 7 games they won 1-2 and 3 games they lost 1-6. That's 22 out of 24 games where they got down in the trenches and fought hard. Imagine when they finally play 80 minutes. Kinda reminds me of the Dragons premiership year.

If they finally click in the prelim, the storm should be worried if they square off in the GF.

Yeah those stats are interesting but I feel the Roosters are in the same boat as us, they clearly are top three in terms of talent (along with the Storm and us) but like us, they just haven't put it all together so far this year, maybe they can do so but they haven't yet and difficult to see it happening. That said, I feel they are more likely to do so than we are.

FB IMG 1505096916139

Shane Flanagan didn't exactly go well in the press conference.

He talked about the James Maloney sin bin. Saying how it wasn't a sin bin, that it's a penalty. But that's fine. It was a sin bin as Maloney deliberately went out of his way to impede Lowe and stop him from getting to the ball.

Then he tells the media to look at the footage. This part is what cracks me up.

He mentioned that the touchie was calling to the ref, "Lachlan Coote offside, Lachlan Coote offside." And he asked what comes first? Penalty to the Sharks for Coote being offside.

However, if you look at the footage which he clearly didn't, Coote was a good 5 metres behind Morgan when he kicked it.

So obviously Flanagan didn't look at the footage himself.

And then Paul Green saying the calls finally went the Cowboys way..

He must have been asleep the whole season.

The TV ratings aren't flash either. The networks will be kicking themselves for committing so much for the game as well. RL is a great sport but until it appeals to a broader audience, it will always have it's struggles. Getting rid of fighting and shoulder charges is a step in the right direction but it still has some way to go to attract the mainstream.

Shane Flanagan and Trent Barrett will be hit with breach notices for separate referee tirades after their sides were dumped from the finals, with NRL boss Todd Greenberg telling the game to "grow up" and stop its officials-blaming culture.
The Sharks and Sea Eagles coaches will have salt rubbed into the wounds when their clubs are issued with fines on Monday afternoon as a forthright Greenberg launched a passionate defence of the men in the middle, slamming coaches for their treatment of referees.

"Unfortunately we've developed a culture in our game of blaming match officials for a loss," Greenberg said. "It sets a terrible example to fans and a terrible example to grassroots and it's got to to stop. It's time for the game to grow up.
"I'm not saying referees are perfect. They never have been and they never will be. I'm not saying our referees got every call right [in the first weekend of the finals], but I've reviewed the games and the vast majority of the calls were spot on.
"The disputes we're talking about are on some really tight calls – 50-50 calls. There will be debate and there will controversy no matter which way they go. That is the game.
2.png

"We expect a lot more from people in influential positions. Our coaches have a responsibility to the game as well as their clubs and their actions and comments must reflect that always. Emotion, passion and the heartbreak of your season ending is not an excuse. The game really does need to grow up."

The finals began with a weekend of high drama involving whistleblowers and NRL Bunker officials, most notable for stinging assessments of officialdom after the two elimination finals.
Both Flanagan and Barrett were livid with contentious calls which went against their sides as Cronulla and Manly were dumped out of the finals by North Queensland and Penrith respectively.

It's understood Flanagan and Barrett will be hit with large fines, possibly bigger than the standard $10,000 which the NRL usually dishes out for inappropriate referees comments.
"What I saw [on Sunday] was not on and we can't allow that to happen," Greenberg said. "The players make mistakes too and that's what costs games. That's why teams lose, not the referees. That culture has to change.
"The refs are far from perfect and they need to be better. Everyone under the game is under pressure and the referees are no different. They've been held to account like never before in the game.
"But to suggest a team won't be playing finals football this weekend only due to refereeing errors is ridiculous and it needs to be called out."
Greenberg said referees boss Tony Archer has a "difficult job" and the game was facing a shortage of officials at a junior level.
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor and Cowboys clipboard carrier Paul Green have already been fined this season for post-match comments about referees.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ined-for-referee-tirades-20170911-gyeya9.html

Rothfield on NRL360 trying to prove that the Sharks were indeed robbed.

Great viewing.

Rothfield on NRL360 trying to prove that the Sharks were indeed robbed.

Great viewing.

He's Annoying, I hate when it is his turn to speak, I like the show as well they just get to political and into stuff to much sometimes to the point where they are arguing with each other.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.