CRICKET First Test- Australia v South Africa

No joke, England might have found the next Warney. 18 year old kid just took five in Pakistan, he looks like he is going to be something special.

Even the curator has admitted he made a mistake prepping the pitch.

I get the defence of it, I love the Gabba test as much as anyone, but lets be real we would all be up in arms if that sort of green deck was rolled out at Trent Bridge or Edgebaston (admittedly maybe not so much these days with our bowling depth haha).

Can only speak for myself but I was disappointed it was over in two days. The batsmen do have to take responsibility for that but against world class attacks on that pitch almost every third ball was unplayable.

Hopefully we can redeem ourselves next test but for now probably just have to cop the criticism.

You could say that it was a pitch made to suit us, however that's hard to buy into when you consider South Africa have just as good a bowling attack.

The difference was Travis Head, not the pitch.

No joke, England might have found the next Warney. 18 year old kid just took five in Pakistan, he looks like he is going to be something special.

His numbers in FC aren't too special, probably got a pitch to suit, especially in Pakistan.

His numbers in FC aren't too special, probably got a pitch to suit, especially in Pakistan.

He’s 18 mate, he’s barely played any first class cricket at all. But you don’t often have any non-Asian spinner (I’m aware of his cultural background) go to a place like Pakistan on their roads and take a five-for on debut and you certainly don’t have 18 year olds doing it. He’s the youngest bowler ever to take 5 wickets and he’s done it on debut.

England are looking pretty solid heading into the Ashes.

1. Problem area, Crawley just doesn’t look like he has it
2. Duckett - he’s looking a find
3. Root
4. Brook
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Foakes
8. Robinson
9. Broad
10. This new kid
11. Anderson

And you have Wood and maybe Archer if he’s fit plus Woakes is a different beast in England. They are suddenly looking pretty strong but they said, Australia’s bowling is a class above what Pakistan has been able to roll out due to injuries for them.

He’s 18 mate, he’s barely played any first class cricket at all. But you don’t often have any non-Asian spinner (I’m aware of his cultural background) go to a place like Pakistan on their roads and take a five-for on debut and you certainly don’t have 18 year olds doing it. He’s the youngest bowler ever to take 5 wickets and he’s done it on debut.

England are looking pretty solid heading into the Ashes.

1. Problem area, Crawley just doesn’t look like he has it
2. Duckett - he’s looking a find
3. Root
4. Brook
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Foakes
8. Robinson
9. Broad
10. This new kid
11. Anderson

And you have Wood and maybe Archer if he’s fit plus Woakes is a different beast in England. They are suddenly looking pretty strong but they said, Australia’s bowling is a class above what Pakistan has been able to roll out due to injuries for them.

They are roads but they are spinner-friendly pitches as well, always have been.

As for their batting, I will make judgement when we get them in England, they won't be going at 5/6 runs an over against our attack and that's where players like Crawley, Duckett and Brook will come under the microscope.

They are roads but they are spinner-friendly pitches as well, always have been.

As for their batting, I will make judgement when we get them in England, they won't be going at 5/6 runs an over against our attack and that's where players like Crawley, Duckett and Brook will come under the microscope.
On the flip side our bowling attack does struggle when being attacked. 4th innings against India @ The Gabba, Stokes' miracle in the Ashes are prime examples. It doesn't happen that often, but it will make for an interesting series that is for sure.

Had a bit of a giggle seeing Virender "the flat track bully" Sehwag having a go at the pitch

If you get a shocking pitch, you'd rather it be shocking in terms of it being a bowlers paradise as opposed to a Mumbai road where bowlers do themselves in bowling 5 days straight with minimal reward

He's right; if India made a raging turner and won in two days, we'd all complain and have all complained for 40 years about it. His point about hypocrisy is well made.

Sehwag got 100 on debut in SA against Kallis, Pollock Nitii and Klusener- his average away from home was still 44 and he got 10 100's out of 23 out of India. He performed all round the world on all different surfaces.

47% of his 8586 runs came away- which is a pretty good split.

He's right; if India made a raging turner and won in two days, we'd all complain and have all complained for 40 years about it.

That literally happened the last time England toured India, it's rarely even spoken about.

People have complained about India's conditions/pitches for 40 years like I said.

You've shifted the stumps a bit there but that's fine, I didn't expect you to concede you were wrong.

Said the same thing twice- haven't changed at all.

Try again.

No, you made special mention of the fact if it happened in India (which it did) we'd be complaining for 40 years, it's rarely ever mentioned. I only mentioned it because you made direct reference to "if it happened in India".

To which you went with the much broader perspective, obviously quite keen to get away from the "if it happened in India", given it did happen. No "if" about it. However, people rarely speak about it.

Apology accepted.

No, you made special mention of the fact if it happened in India (which it did) we'd be complaining for 40 years, it's rarely ever mentioned. I only mentioned it because you made direct reference to "if it happened in India".

To which you went with the much broader perspective, obviously quite keen to get away from the "if it happened in India", given it did happen. No "if" about it. However, people rarely speak about it.

Apology accepted.

Wrong. Never changed anything. I said the same thing twice. Australian's have complained since 1969. We stopped complaining in 2004 and then started again for the next 18. So 40 years wasn't really right. I should have said 53.

He's right; if India made a raging turner and won in two days, we'd all complain and have all complained for 40 years about it. His point about hypocrisy is well made.

People have complained about India's conditions/pitches for 40 years like I said.

My two statements- exactly the same. If you don't think India's pitch conditions have been spoken about much in that time I am not sure what to say.

Wrong. Never changed anything. I said the same thing twice. Australian's have complained since 1969. We stopped complaining in 2004 and then started again for the next 18. So 40 years wasn't really right.

My two statements- exactly the same.

We're talking about a single pitch, nobody spoke about conditions or an overall set of pitches.

Sehwag was directly referencing the 2 day green top. You're just including the general conditions now to save yourself from obviously being unaware that India dished up a 2 day turner last year.

We're talking about a single pitch, nobody spoke about conditions or an overall set of pitches.

Sehwag was directly referencing the 2 day green top. You're just including the general conditions now to save yourself from obviously being unaware that India dished up a 2 day turner last year.

Narendra Modi got bgged to high hell.

You've used past tense there.

Cause the tour has happened. It was bagged at the time. I bet it comes up when Australia are there in February and I bet things are written about it again.

142 overs and not even lasting 2 days and they have the audacity to lecture on what kind of pitches are needed. Had it happened in India, it would have been labelled end of test cricket, ruining test cricket and what not. The Hypocrisy is mind-boggling .

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.