NEWS Fitler: Haas and Lodge need to fire up

If Haas and Lodge need to drag the Broncos to wins, why do NSW choose players like Klemmer? Has pretty much always played for bottom 8 teams. Or Saifiti, who plays for a shit team and doesn't even stand out?

There was not much more Lodge or Haas could have done, short of defending on the edges as well as in the middle (simultaneously ), or literally wrapped their arms around Oates so he couldn't drop the ball.
Lodge was close to our best player last year, he was probably our second best Forward and the only reason he wasn't on top is because his mate Haas produced one of the most stunning rookie seasons in recent memory.

Obviously with Fittler there is an underlying motive as he's clearly trying to fire them up for Origin time, but realistically his comments just make him sound uninformed. Hardly a single player in the NRL worked harder than Payne Haas in 2019.

Last edited:
Lodge was close to our best player last year, he was probably our second best Forward and the only reason he wasn't on top is because his mate Haas produced one of the most stunning rookie seasons in recent memory.

Obviously with Fittler there is an underlying motive as he's clearly trying to fire them up for Origin time, but realistically his comments just make him sound uninformed. Hardly a single player in the NRL worked harder than Payne Haas in 2019.

Agree. I also agree with what was said earlier - that their roles in Origin won't be starting, it'll be off the bench. Hence why he wants them to show they can be impact players and not just big-minute solid middles.

In my view, that will be of detriment to how they are best utilised, and not what the Broncos need of them. So Fittler can go shove it. If he wants to select them, great, but I don't want the Broncos to compromise at all how they're being used.

Agree. I also agree with what was said earlier - that their roles in Origin won't be starting, it'll be off the bench. Hence why he wants them to show they can be impact players and not just big-minute solid middles.

In my view, that will be of detriment to how they are best utilised, and not what the Broncos need of them. So Fittler can go shove it. If he wants to select them, great, but I don't want the Broncos to compromise at all how they're being used.
100% agree. Couldn't care less what Fittler wants and I'd guess Siebold probably feels the same way.

NSW can go and get fucked.

Last edited:

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
He genuinely sounds like he's got his head screwed on straight. I hope he has a long and satisfying career (edited so as to not jinx anything).

Last edited:
He genuinely sounds like he's got his head screwed on straight. I hope he has a long and satisfying career (edited so as to not jinx anything).

With a mentality like the one above, if he does play to his best or close to it year in year out, he will be one of the games greats.

Haas is going to quickly become my favourite ever player if he keeps up. He's an unbelievable talent really, I might be biased but I've never seen a more impressive young forward and he could easily end his career as an all time great if his attitude is as impressive as it appears from the outside looking in.

Here's hoping he'll stay a one club player and isn't cursed by injuries.

I hope we ease him back on his time on the field in some ways. Just because he can play big minutes doesn't mean he should. We dont want to burn him out by making a bloke of his size do too much.

I hope we ease him back on his time on the field in some ways. Just because he can play big minutes doesn't mean he should. We dont want to burn him out by making a bloke of his size do too much.
This is a really good point. It's not like we don't have enough quality guys around him to pick up the slack too, so there really should be no need for him to churn out 80 minute games or anything like that this year.

Agreed... I got the sense last year that Seibs was relying on him in the same way that Green relies on Lolo.

When things are looking dire for the cows Green usually has Lolo playing far more minutes, because he knows the cows can't win when Lolo is off the field.

I don't think that is the same for us with Haas as we do still have quality on the bench.

I suspect at times Haas was effectively playing lock as part of the middle rotation... from memory it would be TPJ off first at around 20mins (returning at about 35mins) with Lodge next at about 30mins (returning around 55min mark).

Offa and Flegs/Carrigan would come on as props... with the other held back until the second half or late in the first half.

At times Haas first break would be around the 50min mark with Carrigan/Flegs coming on... whichever wasn't used in the first half.

I suspect this year we will see more minutes out of Carrigan at lock so hopefully that eases some of the pressure on Haas.

I also recall Seibs mentioning that he believes TPJ works best with 3 stints on the field, but there has been some mentioning of improving his fitness so potentially increased minutes from TPJ will also help to ease Haas workload.

Matt Lodge Modus Operandi:

Pick on the smallest player on the opposing team.
Wait til the game is decided before finally getting aggressive
Never take on an opposing front rower.

He will go down along with the other greats who had size but no ticker.
Willie Mason
T=Rex
Dane Carlaw

Willie Mason
T=Rex
Dane Carlaw

What, like such greats as Kenny Edwards. Sees a winger lying on the ground. Not in a position to really defend himself. Smash him with a shoulder. Classy.

Willie Mason
T=Rex
Dane Carlaw
What is it with parra fans. They are unbelievably painful as fans when the eels win or have a good season like the other 20 bad seasons didn't happen and they are premiership favourites. And they do it again and again despite their history. Luckily for other fans parra don't have too many good, or even decent, seasons.

Active Now

• Dash
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.