Five things we learnt from Broncos v Bulldogs clash
September 7, 2019 8:18pm
The Broncos were shabby against the Bulldogs in a game where a win would have sealed a finals spot.
And even though they’ll still likely make it in, they won’t be going overly far based on this performance.
Read that and the other things we learned here.
BRIDGE TOO FAR
1. THE Broncos can’t beat the top-four teams when it matters if they reach the sudden-death stage. Brisbane’s forwards were badly beaten last night and Matt Lodge needs to lift. Brisbane’s senior prop made just 95 metres and was well outpointed by Dylan Napa, who charged for 171 metres.
David Fafita tries to punch through the Bulldogs defence. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images
2. BRISBANE must wait until the final day of the regular season to learn if they will play finals football. The Broncos should have finished off the Bulldogs to wrap-up seventh spot but if the Sharks and Tigers draw today at Leichhardt, Brisbane will sensationally crash out of the finals race.
SPINE MISSES AGAIN
3. THE Broncos need to find more fluency in their playmaking spine if they want to be a serious finals threat. Halfback Jake Turpin was solid in his return from suspension but some of their service was clunky. One Boyd short ball which hit Matt Gillett by accident in the second half underlined why their scrumbase needs more polish.
Matthew Lodge looks to offload. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images
4. ANTHONY Seibold’s troops must address their poor performances on the road. The Broncos have been towelled up by Souths, Parramatta and now the Bulldogs on Sydney soil this season. A possible sudden-death showdown with the Eels next week will ring alarm bells after Parramatta flogged them 38-10 at Bankwest in round 14.
5. THE Broncos must secure Kotoni Staggs to a long-term deal. While the 20-year-old made some second-half errors, he scored two superb tries, including a marvellous leap to outjump Will Hopoate in the 39th minute. Staggs is off-contract next year and NRL rivals will be gunning for him.