Forum Censorship

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Rocky had a massive "discussion" about this in the Broken topic, but looking at some of the crap being censored lately i think we need to have an open discussion.

I can deal with words like **** and **** and **** being censored, but Bas****s? I respect the work Nashy is doing for the forum and all but bas****s?

Coxy

International Captain
Rocky had a massive "discussion" about this in the Broken topic, but looking at some of the crap being censored lately i think we need to have an open discussion.

I can deal with words like **** and **** and **** being censored, but Bas****s? I respect the work Nashy is doing for the forum and all but bas****s?
It's not Bas****s that's censored, it's the 4 letters in the middle that is often used as an insult which many find insulting and disrespectful.

I don't necessarily have a problem with modifying/softening the censor, but who makes the decision what is and isn't offensive? There's people who comfortably use the C word that rhymes with hunt in normal conversation...

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Put it this way Coxy. Stuff like sh1t and c0ck and bastaarrrd wasn't censored before, so why is it all of a sudden censored now? Was there some decision to change it?

I think it depends on how it's used. If it's used in context then it's fine. For example, if Coxy says, "Man I'm buggered from that 100+km Kokoda trek.." and I reply with "Lolz, you're such a softc0ck coxy." THAT'S in context and I don't see why we should censor the word c0ck for those sorts of things.

But if someone says "Rocky, shut up - you're such a c0ckhead". Then That's not in context (Although debatable...:haha:) And thus PM warning or whatever should go to the offender. That's how it should be dealt with.

IMO, censoring words eliminates any form of disrection for the admins and that's crap. You should be able to use your discretion when required.

I can understand words like **** and **** being censored, fair enough. But Barstaarrrd? It's in the English dictionary even! And C0ck doesn't always refer to penis either, it has other meanings. But sh1t is the biggest lol. Just a casual word.

ALso, don't forget that when you have words that are censored with Stars (***) it looks WORSE because EVERY word then looks like **** lol.

A massive relaxtion of the word censor is required IMO.
Don't you like the word censor?

I think it is soft but who cares, surely we all have bigger problems than a word censor..
This.

So no debate about it nothing? Just a "Hmmm..... No" ?
No. Debate away, I'm reading.

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Oh i know you will be reading. but what about the other admins?

As for "Bigger problems." What problems do we actually have? Can we have some of these bigger problems named so maybe we can discuss them as well? Because last i checked the beauty of a forum was the ability to discuss numerous topics at once. But for now I'm gonna go have a ****.. or is that a ****? Ahh who knows.

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Who cares. Just think of it as BHQ promoting a more eloquent forum experience.

Just a word censor. Jeez.
Do we censor every word that offends someone? T a r d gets banned because some people use it as an insult. Some people also use the word Bogan as an insult and some people use the words "NSW Origin Supporter" as an insult, Do we censor them as well?

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
^^^ this.

Next person who whinges about the word censor, I will add their name to the word censor.

So then ****** and *** **** can argue about it all they like :P
Sounds like something a certain government would do..... Coxy has red hair?

Coxy

International Captain
It does actually. It's very annoying and hard to read with all the stars repalcing a general word like sh1t. It makes the forum look povo and makes it look like a Nazi training camp.

I remember visiting a forum where they would censor out the word crap. And Poo. And Idiot. I was like wtf? And didn't bother returning because it's just ridiculous.

One of the best things about this forum previously was how casual it was, without being over the top. That's gornskies now.
Feel free to leave.

Yes, I'm serious. You're doing nothing but bitch and moan lately and frankly it's **** **** **** **** **** ing me off

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

As for "Bigger problems." What problems do we actually have? Can we have some of these bigger problems named so maybe we can discuss them as well? Because last i checked the beauty of a forum was the ability to discuss numerous topics at once. But for now I'm gonna go have a ****.. or is that a ****? Ahh who knows.
Database Connectivity Issues
Forum Design
Website Design

Nothing major unless others have other issues that I haven't been made aware of at this point in time. I'm happy to listen, and then respond to the admins in private to discuss it. We make a decision based on the majority of users. At this point, the majority of users seem to be happy with the censor.

By all means, if you guys can convince us that something should be removed from the censor, then by all means we will change it.

There seems to be a big misconception on BHQ that the admins don't care about what the users have to say. That can't be further from the truth. Every year we have a feedback survey, which I am currently seeking questions for from the other admins. Last year for example, I reckon about 90% of suggestions and ideas in that survey were implemented.

However, when we have merry-go-round threads like the Broken Stuff thread recently, we tend to pay less attention, because certain forum members will continue to argue the point and never, ever give in, or see our point of view.

That is totally and utterly irrelevent. If they are too busy working on other issues to change the word censor then sure, that's a valid point. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take longer than 1 minute to make adjustements to it.
You're right. It doesn't take long. The problem is, we haven't seen one good reason to change it. We have maybe three users at most complaining about it. And the only real reason to change it back is your opinion that forums look stupid with stars everywhere. My response. Don't use the swear words in the first place, and it won't be an issue.

Do we censor every word that offends someone? T a r d gets banned because some people use it as an insult. Some people also use the word Bogan as an insult and some people use the words "NSW Origin Supporter" as an insult, Do we censor them as well?
Those words are derogatory words towards people with down syndrome, and other mental issues. It's not a joke like calling someone a NSW Supporter, it actually offends, and hurts people. I'm not offended by the C word. Shall we un-censor that too?

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
There seems to be a big misconception on BHQ that the admins don't care about what the users have to say. That can't be further from the truth. Every year we have a feedback survey, which I am currently seeking questions for from the other admins. Last year for example, I reckon about 90% of suggestions and ideas in that survey were implemented.
Tee isn't help to combat the misconception imo.

As for **** (the T word) it's not a word thrown around a lot outside of 1 or 2 people, The amount of times you'll see that word censored will be less than the amount of times you'll see stars thrown in the middle of other words that don't deserve to be censored at all. bas****s being one of them.

S*** F*** and Hunt are words i can understand and won't debate them, But surely some other words are better left as warnings for constant use on the rare occasion they might pop up twice in one week.

schmix

NRL Player
Hi, I'm reading. I generally only comment if I have something new to add.

For what it's worth, I will go on record as agreeing with Clintos, Coxy and Beads. Sure it may be slightly over the top but it really just doesn't matter. Consider it an opportunity to expand your vocabulary.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The problem is, we warned people for using the T word. And it's pretty unfair, IMO, that a warning be given for one word that is used often by certain people. So to be fair, we added it to the censor.

As for bas****s. I will have a look.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DollyHurst

Members online

Twitter