Full strength lineup round 1 2020

We can't win a premiership with him at dummy half even if it's only Seib's regulation 50 minutes. He sucks all the life out of the attack. Might as well support the Storm if that's to be our 2020 season.

Good luck with that...

Defended well (I didn’t see him miss a tackle), had a few try assists bombed by Gillett and others, kicked well, and organised the side well enough (subjective I know, but we looked more assured in attack with him). He didn’t let tries in like Turpin has or come up with the wrong option such as kicking it dead: he just filled his role which was to be the steady hand and lead the side around.

Edit: Waynesaurus said it best.
Not doubting you, but can anyone remember the other times we bombed tries that Dearden set up? I only clearly remember the Gilett one.

Posted this team in the ‘we need a halfback’ thread but thought it would be appropriate to post it here

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Boyd
4. Staggs
5. Isaako/Farnworth/Coates
6. Maloney (Offload Bird)
7. SOS/Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Gillett/Fifita
12. Glenn
13. TPJ

14. Segeyaro
15. Ofahengaue
16. Flegler/Carrigan
17. Fifita/Gillett

18. McCullough

In a perfect world, if we could somehow move on Boyd we could keep Bird at centre and use Boyd’s funds to purchase Maloney for 12 months whilst Dearden or SOS continues to develop for 12 months whilst learning under one of the current best big game experience game managers currently in the NRL.

Also in a perfect world you probably could retire Gillett if he doesn’t rediscover some sort of irresistible form and use his money to maybe bring in another forward leader. Fifita is too good to keep on the bench anyway and is now an Origin rep.

It’s amazing to think most of our problems could be solved by getting rid of Boyd, Gillett and McCullough freeing up in the vicinity of somewhere in the $1.8 million dollars. You could use $500,000 to get Maloney for 12 months whilst Panthers will chip in the rest. Use $400,000-$500,000 (roughly Macca’s contract) to upgrade Turpin and Segeyaro and then use $800,000 to bring in a marquee player preferably a forward leader (Arrow would have been ideal to bring back) then use the change to upgrade Fifita.

If we did get rid of those 3, we could still use the $200,000 long term clubman allowance to offset Alex Glenn’s contract.

Now imagine this team if we were able to offload Boyd, Gillett and McCullough

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Isaako/Farnworth/Coates
6. Maloney
7. SOS/Dearden
8. Lodge (VC)
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita/TPJ
13. Arrow (C)

14. Segeyaro
15. Fifita/TPJ
16. Ofahengaue
17. Flegler/Carrigan

It’s strange to think Petero, Lockyer, Hodges, Parker, to some extent even Scotty Prince are how I remember players retiring. Never have we had so many players in row that people actually want to retire.

People are holding the door open for Boyd, Macca, Gillett, and Thaiday couldn’t leave fast enough. That must be like 1000 games for the broncos and we all want them gone to one extent or another.

I think dearden is laying a good platform on which to build his game on. Doing the core things right, reading the attack well, making his tackles, talking and taking his kicks (although admittedly milf was the primary kicker at that time). I rather that he get this right rather than have great step and flick pass leading to a try during a game, whilst 3 more tries are scored by the opposition running over him.

It was funny that on tv, cronk was asked what advice he would offer to ash taylor and it was to focus on these things, then worry about the rest.

If dearden is strategically working his way into his career like cronk did and shows similar high footy iq (which seibs has indicated he has), works hard on his game and kicking he has some real potential.

Dont get me wrong i think SOS is good too and showed a lot (but as i said in a previous post, it is hard to compare them because they were asked to do different jobs) but seibs must see something in dearden.

I'm actually not hating the Boyd to 6 move. I called for it earlier in the year but I still think he's a centre. That being said, surprisingly anyway, his defence at 6 has been fucking excellent, he's put in a few short kicks that have been really nice and he reads the game very well. Keep in mind it's his first 2 games in the position and he's playing alongside a guy who should be playing 9.

If he ends up playing 1 more year, alongside a proper half, who IMO should be SOS, I reckon he can offer a lot of value from the 6 position. As long as he doesn't go back to 1, I'm happy. Although I must say he ran the ball back harder than Milford but I don't want to critic Milford yet, just like Boyd he's going back to a position he hasn't played in 5 years so it'll take him time to retrain himself to the kick return aspect. If Milford can regain his running game in addition to all the skills he picked up while being a 6, he could easily be the best fullback in the competition.

It’s strange to think Petero, Lockyer, Hodges, Parker, to some extent even Scotty Prince are how I remember players retiring. Never have we had so many players in row that people actually want to retire.

People are holding the door open for Boyd, Macca, Gillett, and Thaiday couldn’t leave fast enough. That must be like 1000 games for the broncos and we all want them gone to one extent or another.

Leave 'em wanting more.

I'm actually not hating the Boyd to 6 move. I called for it earlier in the year but I still think he's a centre. That being said, surprisingly anyway, his defence at 6 has been fucking excellent, he's put in a few short kicks that have been really nice and he reads the game very well. Keep in mind it's his first 2 games in the position and he's playing alongside a guy who should be playing 9.

If he ends up playing 1 more year, alongside a proper half, who IMO should be SOS, I reckon he can offer a lot of value from the 6 position. As long as he doesn't go back to 1, I'm happy. Although I must say he ran the ball back harder than Milford but I don't want to critic Milford yet, just like Boyd he's going back to a position he hasn't played in 5 years so it'll take him time to retrain himself to the kick return aspect. If Milford can regain his running game in addition to all the skills he picked up while being a 6, he could easily be the best fullback in the competition.
He's definitely been a lot better at 6. I just want him to do more. We have a young team that lacks leadership and he doesn't get enough touches. He seems to just sit out there on the left and wait for the ball to come to him. Never seems to call plays or anything like that, which really isnt good enough for a 300+ gamer on 800k...

He's definitely been a lot better at 6. I just want him to do more. We have a young team that lacks leadership and he doesn't get enough touches. He seems to just sit out there on the left and wait for the ball to come to him. Never seems to call plays or anything like that, which really isnt good enough for a 300+ gamer on 800k...
I agree but I think you're being a little harsh. A lot of 5/8s look like lost ducks while they're learning the ropes and I think he'll be burdened by trying to direct the team around with rookies everywhere while he himself is new to the role. I do agree that he needs to touch the ball more though but I think we'll get a much better indication of how the switch is going to work when he has a proper 7 next to him, hopefully next week.

I love Turps but he's not a 7. Having a spine of
1. Milf
6. Boyd
7. Dearden/SOS
9. Turpin
14. Segs

29. Macca

Looks a lot better to me.

Last edited:
Barring a complete 180 in longterm form I still want him gone by next year. The laws of chance dictate that it's only a matter of time before he costs us another game with his diving and weak as piss efforts.

Lockyer is my all time favourite player but if had of had an 18 month stretch at the back of his career like Boyd has I’m sure he would have copped his fair share.

The difference is a lot of the guys above had earned enough credits to prevent a lot of criticism at the back end of their careers. Lockyer, Hodges and Parker were almost still playing like they were in their prime when they retired. Petero was on the way out but was still doing a job, had earned enough credits and wasn’t playing an important position on the field structurally. Another factor too is we were super successful during those players careers and winning solves all problems.

It’s when players on big money are preventing the current team having success with declining form with no semblance of improvement that pisses people off. And the climate is different with social media fuelling an outrage culture.

Gillett is a different case to McCullough and Boyd as he isn’t playing an all important spine position and us still a current rep player. The only reason why he is being discussed in this way is because a lot of us fear that neck injury may never see him get back to what he is capable of and there is no shame in that. He has no semblance of an attacking game anymore and I don’t think his defense is so good that it completely makes up for his lack of go forward, hole hitting or ball playing. He can still do a job though.

Boyd being moved from 1 and actually defending decently in the front line has silenced a lot of his criticism but his value is still a problem. Everyone loves Macca as a person and club man but putting up with his slow service and deficiencies year after year has lost patience with the fans.

All would still get a decent send off but can’t help but feel it would be a feeling of relief.

Barring a complete 180 in longterm form I still want him gone by next year. The laws of chance dictate that it's only a matter of time before he costs us another game with his diving and weak as piss efforts.
Yeah, hes still not w orth anything close to 800k a season and wouldn't be in the top 10 5/8ths.

It's not really his forte to call plays... plus if Boyd was touching the ball 50-60 times a game and demanding all the good ball you sure as hell know you along with 90% of this forum would be calling for him to f.ck off and stop stifling the attack.

At this stage he's basically playing his fullback role in attack and defending in the line which is allowing Milf to free himself of defensive duties and attack both sides of the ruck

I don't want Boyd overplaying his hand because he simply can't. His entire career has been finishing off set pieces not orchestrating them.

It's not really his forte to call plays... plus if Boyd was touching the ball 50-60 times a game and demanding all the good ball you sure as hell know you along with 90% of this forum would be calling for him to f.ck off and stop stifling the attack.

At this stage he's basically playing his fullback role in attack and defending in the line which is allowing Milf to free himself of defensive duties and attack both sides of the ruck

I don't want Boyd overplaying his hand because he simply can't. His entire career has been finishing off set pieces not orchestrating them.
That's exactly the issue though. It's why our attack is all over the place and we have no shape.

What I think we will see

1 - Milford
2 - Oates
3 - Bird
4 - Staggs
5 - Isaako
6 - Boyd
7 - Deardan
8 - Lodge
9 - McCullough
10 - Haas
11 - Gillett
12 - Glenn
13 - TPJ

14 - Turpin
15 - Offahengaue
16 - Fifita
17 - Flegler

No room for Carrigan, Segs or Kennedy

My wishful thinking lineup

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Isaako/Coates/Farnworth
6. SOS
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. TPJ
12. Glenn
13. Flegler

14. Segeyaro
15. Offa
16. Fifita
17. Carrigan/Kennedy

I agree but I think you're being a little harsh. A lot of 5/8s look like lost ducks while they're learning the ropes and I think he'll be burdened by trying to direct the team around with rookies everywhere while he himself is new to the role. I do agree that he needs to touch the ball more though but I think we'll get a much better indication of how the switch is going to work when he has a proper 7 next to him, hopefully next week.

I love Turps but he's not a 7. Having a spine of
1. Milf
6. Boyd
7. Dearden/SOS
9. Turpin
14. Segs

29. Macca

Looks a lot better to me.

...just a slight touch up required here....

534. Macca

Better......
[automerge]1563592202[/automerge]
with all these team lists being discussed seems no-one wants to be bothered to include Jesse Arthurs at all..

Did we poach him to play Q-cup or something..?

If not...then he has to fit in their somewhere next season...

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.