Future Broncos

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Seeing as we have a lot of young players, we may as well talk about what the line up should be in the future.

I’ll start with the spine.. I think we have the players we need already in the long term to create a more than competitive spine. I’d like to see Herbie at fullback. I think he could be good there. Niu could easily play 6, he did it for Tonga fairly well.. He couldn’t possibly have worse form than Milford has shown. Paix at hooker looks good to me. He has bulked up yet retained speed.

1. Herbie Farnworth
6. Tesi Niu
7. Thomas Dearden
9. Corey Paix

As much as I like the idea of developing our youth, I think we need to look at bringing in an experienced 5/8 from another team to help Dearden. Keary would be the logical choice but whether he'd leave a team that regularly wins premierships and hands out lucrative incentives under the table makes me question whether he'd want to leave them.

Honestly, it's difficult to say if we are speaking 5+ years into the future. Our future premiership winning halfback could be in year 10 at the moment. We just don't know how the future is going to play out. I know this isn't helpful to the discussion but this sorta topic has been raised many times over the years on this forum and no one has really gotten close from memory.

Walsh is apparently our gun fullback in waiting, but then Niu is the new Lockyer. Will Dearden wait around for one of the halves to shit themselves so badly they're forced to be dropped, or will he take another offer elsewhere if he's promised a starting role?

Controversial opinion: Farnworth is poo.

He's not a great mover, can't bust a tackle to save his life. Not a great metre eater, gets drilled and pushed back nearly every hit-up. Not overly fast, seems to lack acceleration as well as top speed. Is mediocre at best defensively. Haven't seen anything that would indicate he's got potential to be a great ball player or in-play kicker.

I haven't seen a single thing out of him so far in his young career that would indicate he's going to be a valuable first grader, let alone the starting Fullback at the Broncos.

Perhaps you could argue that he's got a nose for chasing grubbers, I'll let you have that. He looks a whole lot like Corey Allan out there. Tall, lanky, weak, not the quickest, not the most skillful.

As much as I like the idea of developing our youth, I think we need to look at bringing in an experienced 5/8 from another team to help Dearden. Keary would be the logical choice but whether he'd leave a team that regularly wins premierships and hands out lucrative incentives under the table makes me question whether he'd want to leave them.

I think we definitely need to recruit a big name for the spine. Ideally that player replaces Milford at 6.

I like the idea of Dearden and Keary as a halves combination. That would definitely work. Keary grew up in Ipswich too.

I’d also not be opposed to a Munster and Dearden combo.
[automerge]1594716125[/automerge]
Controversial opinion: Farnworth is poo.

He's not a great mover, can't bust a tackle to save his life. Not a great metre eater, gets drilled and pushed back nearly every hit-up. Not overly fast, seems to lack acceleration as well as top speed. Is mediocre at best defensively. Haven't seen anything that would indicate he's got potential to be a great ball player or in-play kicker.

I haven't seen a single thing out of him so far in his young career that would indicate he's going to be a valuable first grader, let alone the starting Fullback at the Broncos.

Perhaps you could argue that he's got a nose for chasing grubbers, I'll let you have that. He looks a whole lot like Corey Allan out there. Tall, lanky, weak, not the quickest, not the most skillful.

Manly fans probably said the same things about Gutherson. Now he’s leading the Dally M’s at Parra as a fullback.

I do agree that Farnsy is not the most powerful of all the outside backs in the league. But he is an athletic build that could have done well in any sport he put his mind to really. Seems like he’d have the motor to go all day at fullback.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't been impressed with Farnworth either.
We were originally happy to play him in the side because Coates was very, very raw and Farnworth was serviceable for a rookie. Now Coates looks like he's quickly on the rise, while Farnworth still looks serviceable/mediocre. He just hasn't shown anything in attack so far. Nothing to speak of in terms of working the ball out, and it's not like he's been some brilliant defender or anything, just serviceable (at best) here too.

He's only 20, but he's a back, not a half. If you can run fast and break tackles, we'd know by now.

Idk I think he still has some size to put on and could make a go at center.

If that's our future spine there's an even worse 10 years ahead.

It won’t be our future spine but why play these guys if we don’t feel that they will live up to their full potential?

We’ll obviously have to make a few good signings. It would have been nice if we could have released Boyd, Macca, Milford and Bird in order to make a big money play for both Ponga and Munster. Wish we never signed Croft.

1. Ponga
6. Munster
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

Would have made us instantly competitive.. I think Ponga re-signed with Knights though. Dunno about Munster’s contract position.

Last edited:
1. ?
6. ?
7. ?
9. Grant

Just build the team around him. The current spine is a total joke, I doubt they’d stand out much in QCup.

Walsh does look really good but he is probably years away.

i suspected Arthurs being brouhgt in meant that the coaching staff werent particular enthralled with Herbie....cant prove that but perhaps this explains why we brought him in..?

I wouldnt bother with tryign to work out where the club goes next; i mean it has no idea itself so we are all wasting our time..

We need to know what Fifita is doing first. He seriously needs to do one...come back here in 5 years maybe...if things have been fixed....but dont waste your prime years here Dave...

...go waste them on the Gold Coast instead.....let us do what the Bulldogs are doing and build a war chest...

Then we can vomit cash everywhere and see if some of it actually sticks..?

Farnworth isn't good - not a fan of any of our young backs - our recruitment is poor in this area.
None of them are elite nrl athletes - they are good junior athletes but not NRL.

Seeing as we have a lot of young players, we may as well talk about what the line up should be in the future.

I’ll start with the spine.. I think we have the players we need already in the long term to create a more than competitive spine. I’d like to see Herbie at fullback. I think he could be good there. Niu could easily play 6, he did it for Tonga fairly well.. He couldn’t possibly have worse form than Milford has shown. Paix at hooker looks good to me. He has bulked up yet retained speed.

1. Herbie Farnworth
6. Tesi Niu
7. Thomas Dearden
9. Corey Paix

2. Coates
3. Staggs

There were people on here so obsessed with throwing in all these kids ( who they probably have never seem play, they just follow the hype ) and thought they would achieve great things. I've always said its a plan for failure. It was never going to work and it could quite possibly hamper the progress and development of some of these blokes.

We are desperate now simply for some solid NRL players to supplement our better kids. Our main issue is we need a new 1,6,7 and 9. Probably a center and a prop as well. That's going to take a lot of creative cap management.

it starts with keeping Fifita; you know he wants to stay, but then again the money on offer means he should arguably go...

But; take half of Offas and Fleglers contract, and hand that to Fifita...and we match any rival offer...

But, well....do you know what "actually"happened...!

Whoever ever said Farnworth lacks acceleration and speed should go and watch Coates intercept try against knights. Herbie gains on Coates before he realises Coates will go the full way himself

1. ?
6. ?
7. ?
9. Grant

Just build the team around him. The current spine is a total joke, I doubt they’d stand out much in QCup.

Walsh does look really good but he is probably years away.
100% Give milf the ass and try and lure Grant up here with milford’s mill. At the least make Melbourne pay a million plus for him..

Wouldn’t mind Bird sticking around as I think he is exactly the type of player the broncos need to recruit more of. Super competitive. Aggressive. premiership winner experienced tough bastard who hates losing with a passion. Surely his shit injury run can’t continue..
Don’t see him sticking around though..
Staggs at 6 would be next best option. Probably the most aggressive ball runner out of all the backs and has looked great in the 6 the last 2 times he’s played there..
He needs to have his hands on the ball as much as possible.

Deardon at 7, mentored by lockyer.

Niu might look better at fullback with more room to move, after the forwards lift their intensity and start being competitive.

Lose Oates, offa, milf, Glenn and anyone else who has been too deeply effected by the entitlement Maccas card regime.

Recruit experienced forwards, a few old school players with highly competitive nature and that don’t give a flying **** about instagram etc..
Getting Moose back wouldnt be a bad thing.

I don’t think Glenn should be captain next year.
Start again. Maybe TPJ if he can mature a bit and get the dumb shit out of his game. More experience than Carrigan who should be vice, both really aggressive and inspirational to the team.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.