Gallen's poor sportsmanship

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Gotta say, despite his great performances this year, I still cant respect gallen as a captain for his pathetic sportmanship. After game 1 and also game 3, the first thing he mentions in the post match interview is how NSW got bad calls from the ref. Didnt mention QLD were the better team first, didnt congratulate his team for a good effort, nup, straight to how bad the refs were.

Is this Ricky stuart's influence? Is he just a ****ing bad loser?

To add to that.. what calls went against NSW in the decider? I can think of them getting a few nice calls for them, such as Hayne's penalty try.

I respect him as a player, but as a captain, he is a terrible embassador for the game.

Yep, exactly. Only bad call I could think of was when Myles got a penalty for having the ball raked out in the 2nd half. Didn't look to be a rake in it. That's one call out of 80 minutes. Seriously.

The refs were brilliant. He shouldn't blame anyone except the QLD Forwards coach.

I'd prefer if he didn't mention the refs at all. Just congratulate QLD, compliment his own players, and leave the whinging to the Telegraph. But I suppose when you've just lost an Origin match you tend to be a bit emotional and maybe a bit defensive. Still, I've been happy with his captaincy. He leads by example on the field and speaks well off it.

I've never heard a QLD captain, or even another NSW captain complain about the refs, especially as the first thing he says after a game, until this year. Pathetic. If other captains can contain the disappointment, then Gallen should be able to as well

Exactly. Let coaches and journalists do the complaining. That's what they're paid for.

If the refs did make bad calls that cost a team a match, then I have no problem with players saying so, and in some respects would rather them be honest rather than just toe the line and come out with the usual post match BS, but it just seems the usual excuse for a loss these days is always the refs, even when they've had a decent game.

Speaking of poor sports though, not sure I agree with the QLD crowd booing Gallen when he came to make a speech. I know it was probably in jest more than anything, but if QLDers are going to come out and label NSW as arrogant/poor sprts etc, it's not exactly a great look.

disagree. gallen showed he is a poor sport, he deserved to get booed.

Yeah, and I'm sure everyone booing heard his post match interview too.

Love the sentiment that it's ok to stoop to their level, just because they did it first.

Agree. I think it reflects the lack of respect Gallen commands due to his history of ****ty on field behaviour and record recently of shooting off at the mouth. Queenslanders haven't previously booed the likes of Trent Barrett, Kurt Gidley or Danny Buderus as captains of losing Origin series at Suncorp.

Yeah, and I'm sure everyone booing heard his post match interview too.

Love the sentiment that it's ok to stoop to their level, just because they did it first.

We all heard his post match interview in game 1... and it went exactly the same way

Queenslanders haven't previously booed the likes of Trent Barrett, Kurt Gidley or Danny Buderus as captains of losing Origin series at Suncorp.

No we cheered Barrett & Gidley for being shyte.

I remember the NSW crowds booing Lewis when he ran out as Australian Captain.

You know who else is a poor sportsman Jarryd Diver Hayne. Staying down for that. Gah! Go play soccer. Where's the Jarryd Hayne in a skirt picture, it needs to be resurrected.

The way Hayne stayed down after the knees last night, I think, he believes the crowd think he is hurt.

The way Hayne stayed down after the knees last night, I think, he believes the crowd think he is hurt.

That pissed me off. He's such a ****ing cat. Deadset biggest fairy in the game.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.