Game 3 - Post Match Discussion

Apart from the first 20mins of the game QLD were the more dominant team.They looked more dangerous on attack and apart from one or two lapses on defence,I knew they would bring it home.

For the Broncos boys...they played ok,not the best but did enough to help the cause.Parker is still frustratingly cutting back in on the 4th/5th tackle when the overlaps are on the outside.He did that a couple of times last night,lucky one of those times it led to a try when he had a clear two man overlap outside him.He does this in club footy too but apart from that it was a typical performace from him.Te'o wasnt out there for that long so just did the basics.Gillet....Im yet to see his form at club footy carry over to the Origin games Ive seen him play.Thaiday some good touches and some bad but contributed well.Hodges was the pick of the lot for me,he had a couple of good runs from dummy half to get QLD good front foot ball not to mention the solo effort for his try.Finally,its good to send off one of the greatest QLD forwards of all time the way he deserves to be sent off as a winner.First Lockyer,now Bula...Congrads boys!

Last edited:
From what I can gather on twitter it looks like Hayne plane on had a minor engine problem and didn't suffer a really bad injury. He sure went down like he had his wings clipped though.
Its called choking....he knew they werent going to win so his emotions got the better of him so faked it.

I don't think Taylor is giving them the bird, he is telling them, we won by one. :haha:

525747-taylor.jpg

Typical NSW crap making a big deal of that. How do you know he wasn't giving the finger to a particular person who was giving him shit all night? Could've all just been good natured ribbing. Not a good look, no, but who cares, really?

Overall, the scoreline flattered NSW big time. QLD had total control of that game for the majority of it and really should have run away with it. Kudos to NSW for not letting them, but I also think QLD perhaps shot themselves in the foot too. I think had QLD gotten a penalty after Inglis nearly scored and NSW were so clearly offside, they probably would have put NSW away right there and then.

Mitchell Pearce - will he ever play another origin? I hope so. God he was terrible. Went missing for most of the match. And can someone please explain the tactics in their kicking game? If you're going to kick early in the tackle count, you'd want to make sure it was a good kick, not a kick that gives QLD the ball, on the full, on the 30 or 40 metre line. Bizarre. And surely Beau Scott and Ben Creagh have done their dash too?????

Petero was just on fire out there last night. Can't think of a better game from him in recent memory. He played a worthy farewell to origin. I've been critical of Parker in recent years and aside from a few times where he cut back inside (and nearly bombed that try!) I thought he was one of the best out there. His offloads were smart, not just hail marys out the back. Thurston. What more can be said? He played the game we all knew he had in him. The show and go was just vintage Thurston. I said a few times last night that I'm pretty sure that was the best game I've seen Hodges play in origin too. He looked dangerous every time he touched the ball.

It was a tough game and in the end I think QLD's experience won out. It appeared at times that NSW either couldn't conjur up any kind of structure or when it looked like something might be on, they just panicked and didn't quite know what to do. Either way, it was way too close in the end for my liking!!!

So funny that NSW has found things to whinge about.

Apparently myles tackes head first now.
Apparently tate fighting back from a head high is a sin binnable offence lol.
Maybe if the blues didnt give up and put their hands in their as soon as they had a chance the 3rd ref MAY have considered a shephard, but they gave up immediately and in the end got nowhere near hodges. Stop sooking and play footy you big girls!

Geeze there are some sore losers out there!

I'd say the reason they lost was the lack of direction/creativity in the halves.

Was a sensational game, we bombed about 3 tries and for the first time in a few years I thought we were going to lose the series and remembered how much I HATE LOSING SOO!

Well done to the greatest sporting team I've ever seen. Well done to Bulla. Well done Mal Meninga.

Geeze there are some sore losers out there!

And some sore winners, too.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised at the Telegraph today. They've focused on what the Blues did right, paid tribute to the Maroons, and barely mentioned the refs. Out of character.

firstly, well done to the Queensland team, they gave it their all.

well apart from Gillett, yet again. 2 runs in 22 minutes, 1 knock-on. showed yet again for the third game in a row that he should not have been there.

Thaiday did everything in his power to hand NSW that game on a platter, was painful to watch. couldnt tackle to save his life, and gave away an absolutely ridiculous penalty on 4th or 5th tackle on a good defensive set. he played well with ball in hand so credit to him for that.

Thurston really stepped up, was awesome to see the famous show-and-go back in his game and working like it always used to.

Cronk defended brilliantly, did a mountain of work. his kicking game was poor though, apart from that pearler of a field goal. wont see a better one than that for a long time.

Civoniceva really stepped up like the champion he is, played a great game. congratulations to the big fella. but to those saying "who wanted him dropped?" etc, him playing well doesnt mean he deserved to be there over McGuire.

Gillett was useless yet again. needs to go, but we won so that means he was the best man for the job, hey jeb? ;)

Hodges probably played his best origin, got involved at the right times.

Boyd and Nielsen were looking shaky in defense quite often, and boyd didnt show enough urgency to clean up a few kicks, morris' "try" for one. i say "try" because deadset, thats not a try. you cant push the ball against a defender then roll it back into your arms and it not be called a knock-on. if boyd wasnt there, morris drops it cold. boyd made some good strong hitups and kick returns though, and nielsen did what was needed.

i dont understand the criticisms of Shillington coming from QLD supporters though, he was huge in that game. made our second most metres behind Myles, who was brilliant yet again, and absolutely charged on to the ball for his hitups.

Myles was epic again. he is deadset the epitome of "made for origin".

Inglis was outstanding, and honestly i think we need to look at a sort of dual fullback setup next year. inglis' kick returns are just incredible and get our set off to a great start. but his defensive positioning left a lot to be desired. slater is the best positional and defensive fullback the games ever seen, and in origin that means a lot.

Parker played one of the best games ive ever seen from him. 2 offloads leading to 2 tries (although one of them he almost bombed before he offloaded) and was a handful for the defense every time.

Te'o didnt get much time, but showed hes probably going to be in the team for a while.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised at the Telegraph today. They've focused on what the Blues did right, paid tribute to the Maroons, and barely mentioned the refs. Out of character.

really? all ive seen is whinge whinge whinge. classic DT example:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/du...te-of-origin-iii/story-fndv2twz-1226417349523

You must be reading different articles to me. I've seen ones where they said myles intentionally led with the head. ones where they said they were robbed by 2 bad calls in the series and another where they said the hodges try was the worst ruling in history

AP I think Boyd and Nielsen were good in defence until Gillette was put on the left edge.

Also not sure what people were expecting from Nielsen

Thanks everyone for noticing I can be gracious in defeat and can give praise when it's deserved.

Rothfield & Bird are trying to change history.

No mention that Jennings ran several metres to throw the punch.
__________________________________________________-

Bird was also the victim of the game's violent flashpoint - a point-blank range punch to the head from Maroon winger Brent Tate.

The fiery lock copped the treatment while being held down by two Maroons and afterwards questioned why they received the penalty.

His bewilderment was made even more acute by the fact Michael Jennings was sin-binned - and later suspended for one week - for throwing a punch in Melbourne.

"It was very similar to game one, where a bloke (Jennings) was suspended for a week," Bird said. "It was heat of the moment - I didn't know what was going on.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...te-of-origin-iii/story-e6frexv9-1226417349523

What Tate did was wrong but the Punch they kept showing wasn't a real punch IMO. He seemed to act out the punch but hold the punch back and then just push his fist against his head. That is how I saw it anyway. Pretty close to being in the sin bin IMO.

The media aren't saying why Tate punched him.

If was an earlier tackle Bird did on Tate, that caused Tate to punch him in the head.

Bird wouldn't have felt the punch. (no brain no pain)

I have to say that whilst it wasn't a good look, I saw it exactly the same way as you did Beads. Didn't really look like a proper punch. Which I would have to think must have taken some restraint, who wouldn't want to just unleash a few fists on Bird?!

I have to admit that Myles does lead with his melon, no doubt, he has done it heaps of times. I have no doubt he deliberately aimed at Farrah but I don't really care either because Farrah was a grub all series with his tactics in tackles.

The Hodges try was a shepherd pure and simple, it was a terrible decision but let them cry about it we've had plenty more go against us than to us over the years.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • lynx000
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Nerd
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.