Gaming Thread

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Is the gameplay short?

I keep hearing it's a full game but EB Games not selling it for $99.95 makes me suspicious.
yeah, it is short...

to me it has the feel of an expansion rather than a full game. I picked it up for $59 from EB (price matched).

having said that, i still enjoyed it ... they made some decent changes that they need to build on in the next installment.

The Saw launcher launcher was by far my favourite weapon ... that thing was a beast

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
One thing I don't like about Red Dead Redemption 2, it's the honor system.

I do like the idea of it, good deeds increases your honor while bad deeds decreases it. However, what they deem to be a bad deed is sometimes a little ridiculous.

I went through Van Horn Trading Post. Some guy didn't like me, started punching into me which grabbed the attention of a few bystanders who joined in. Then suddenly they pull out pistols and start shooting and that's when all hell breaks loose and I have the entire town (30-40 men) trying to kill me.

I defend myself, but because of that it lowers my honor for defending myself? That's ridiculous. You can lower your honor level quite significantly and very quickly walking through that town. All it takes is one guy to not like what you're doing and it's on.

I also find it ridiculous that even when people start shooting you, you cannot defend yourself without having the cops chasing you down trying to kill you for murder. Since when aren't you allowed to defend yourself?

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Actually, while I'm on my rant I'm going to bag out Rockstar for not allowing us to visit the far south west part of the map as Arthur, as well.

There was a glitch that allowed you to visit that part of the map as Arthur without the bounty hunters being on your ass and being automatically killed by an invisible sniper. All you had to do was do the Angelo Bronte mission where you kill those grave robbers, purposely get spotted by the police and finish off the mission and if you went on a certain road to visit that part of the map you could explore the area without worrying about any bounty hunters or being killed by the fuckwit ghost sniper. You could even do the stranger missions there however there were no dialogue lines for Arthur. When word got out about that, Rockstar patched it pretty quickly and now you're no longer able to.

Like, what the ****? Who cares if we want to visit that part of the map early on? Just let us play the game how we want to play it. It's ridiculous that they have closed that off until the Epilogue part of the story.

There is meant to be an Arabian horse that is apparently the best in the game on that part of the map and I wanted to finish off the Legendary Animals quest while as Arthur but nooo, Rockstar want to be cunts and make you wait until the Epilogue.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
I picked up wwe 2k19 from EB games today for $39 ... I went in there fully intending to price match it, but it turned out to be cheaper than Big W or Jb Hi-fi.

first time ive ever seen it cheaper in EB

Alec

International Rep
I got Sekiro on day 1, played 2 and a half or so hours since yesterday. It seems considerably tougher than any other Souls game so far, for mini-Bosses at least (haven't fought any real bosses yet) you really have to approach it differently. Also doesn't seem quite as good as them either, and not because of difficulty. Still a lot of fun, even with dying. I'll see how it holds up over the next dozen or so hours, should at least hopefully get easier once I get the timing spot on.

Last edited:

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
I got Sekiro on day 1, played 2 and a half or so hours since yesterday. It seems considerably tougher than any other Souls game so far, for mini-Bosses at least (haven't fought any real bosses yet) you really have to approach it differently. Also doesn't seem quite as good as them either, and not because of difficulty. Still a lot of fun, even with dying. I'll see how it holds up over the next dozen or so hours, should at least hopefully get easier once I get the timing spot on.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
I had an absurd love of the first in the series, even though it was clunky as hell. Must be 20 years ago now... I was heavily into Brian Lumley’s ‘The Necroscope’ series at the time and this game complemented it so well.

I will be buying a new PC especially for this sequel. **** Mac!

Last edited:

Alec

International Rep
I had an absurd love of the first in the series, even though it was clunky as hell. Must be 20 years ago now... I was heavily into Brian Lumley’s ‘The Necroscope’ series at the time and this game complemented it so well.

I will be buying a new PC especially for this sequel. **** Mac!
Do you mean Redemption (the first VTM game, it was pretty shitty I think) or the first Bloodlines, which was fantastic (especially once fixed up with unofficial patches)?

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Do you mean Redemption (the first VTM game, it was pretty shitty I think) or the first Bloodlines, which was fantastic (especially once fixed up with unofficial patches)?
It would have been the very first one in about 1999/2000. It was real shitty but I saw so much potential.

Alec

International Rep
Compared to other recent games I've played, including the Souls series and Hollow Knight, so far pretty much every boss and mini-boss in Sekiro has been like learning to ride a bike when you were young, to varying degrees of failure.

It gets to a stage where you start to get frustrated, but then you end up winning. Definitely the toughest game I've played in a long time, 7 or 8 hours in. Hopefully I'll git gud eventually.

Last edited:

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Compared to other recent games I've played, including the Souls series and Hollow Knight, so far pretty much every boss and mini-boss in Sekiro has been like learning to ride a bike when you were young, to varying degrees of failure.

It gets to a stage where you start to get frustrated, but then you end up winning. Definitely the toughest game I've played in a long time, 7 or 8 hours in. Hopefully I'll git gud eventually.
Haven't played it but I was actually hoping for more Tenchu less Dark Souls tbh. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
With Tropico 6, they decided to stick to the same model. So it's pretty much the same as every other Tropico release, except it came out this year.

Alec

International Rep
I'm close to the end of Sekiro. I feel like I've gotten pretty good, beat the supposed toughest or 2nd toughest boss earlier today after 5 or 6 or so attempts. It only takes a few seconds to get back there though, so it's not frustrating. It's so enjoyable though, once you learn the boss movements and finally beat them, it feels so good.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Just bought a 2TB WD USB 3.0 Portable HD for $59.

Now I can finally record my gameplay on my Xbox without the 2 and 5 minute bullshit restrictions you get if you use internal storage to record the gameplay.

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
I'm close to the end of Sekiro. I feel like I've gotten pretty good, beat the supposed toughest or 2nd toughest boss earlier today after 5 or 6 or so attempts. It only takes a few seconds to get back there though, so it's not frustrating. It's so enjoyable though, once you learn the boss movements and finally beat them, it feels so good.
This is my first foray into From Software territory and I'm quite enjoying it so far. Certainly requires a different mentality particularly as far as boss fights go.

The first couple took me some time but I nailed the mounted boss on the third try. Certainly each seems to require a different approach and rhythm. Once you're committed to wearing a few failures in the pursuit thereof, it's quite satisfying when it all clicks.

Alec

International Rep
This is my first foray into From Software territory and I'm quite enjoying it so far. Certainly requires a different mentality particularly as far as boss fights go.

The first couple took me some time but I nailed the mounted boss on the third try. Certainly each seems to require a different approach and rhythm. Once you're committed to wearing a few failures in the pursuit thereof, it's quite satisfying when it all clicks.
I've finished with the (cryptic) best ending recently, I thought it was a fantastic game all the way through. It probably won't have the replay value of the previous games, but the combat is definitely more tense and better IMO.

Most bosses have the same basic approach really - be super aggressive and defensive at the same time lol. A lot of them you wanna stick close to them, and attack just enough times until you see them parry, then get ready to parry yourself. But at the same time you kinda need to know the timing of their moves, how many times they attack for each of their numerous combos, how to avoid the perillious moves, when the best time to start attacking yourself is etc.

The game gets harder and harder as you go on, but eventually everything clicked for me, and I felt like I was really getting good. I died to the first real boss (the horse guy, Gyobu) about 2 or 3 times, but now I think I might not even get hit if I went back. Some of the final few bosses will still test you all the way through. I've heard of people being stuck on them for hours lol.

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
I've finished with the (cryptic) best ending recently, I thought it was a fantastic game all the way through. It probably won't have the replay value of the previous games, but the combat is definitely more tense and better IMO.

Most bosses have the same basic approach really - be super aggressive and defensive at the same time lol. A lot of them you wanna stick close to them, and attack just enough times until you see them parry, then get ready to parry yourself. But at the same time you kinda need to know the timing of their moves, how many times they attack for each of their numerous combos, how to avoid the perillious moves, when the best time to start attacking yourself is etc.

The game gets harder and harder as you go on, but eventually everything clicked for me, and I felt like I was really getting good. I died to the first real boss (the horse guy, Gyobu) about 2 or 3 times, but now I think I might not even get hit if I went back. Some of the final few bosses will still test you all the way through. I've heard of people being stuck on them for hours lol.
So far I feel the learning curve is steep but fair. Interested to see how iterative the process is as the game progresses.

It's certainly been a nice switch up from the tragedy in motion that is Anthem. Some of the core mechanics and game play are fantastic but the lack of content is a real issue (not to mention loot and scaling). Would be great if it could get the extra content and polish it needs but it's a huge road back from the public shitstorm surrounding it. Damn shame.

Aside from Sekiro I'm revisiting Bayonetta on the Switch before I get into the sequel. Nice little distraction perfect for the commute. Never quite finished it back in the day, looks dated but combat is still tight, par for the course for Platinum Games.

Interested to see how Days Gone turns out. I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic survival, but hoping there's some meat on it's bones. Likely I'll still be blundering through Sekiro by the time it drops, so can wait and see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter