Gaming Thread

Alec

International Rep
My biggest worry about Zen 2s is...are they just gonna break after a year or 2? If Intel couldn't go 7nm, and AMD did, maybe it's just being held together by sticky tape (1nm stickytape). I'm just guessing though, but something about it makes me a bit suspicious.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
My biggest worry about Zen 2s is...are they just gonna break after a year or 2? If Intel couldn't go 7nm, and AMD did, maybe it's just being held together by sticky tape (1nm stickytape). I'm just guessing though, but something about it makes me a bit suspicious.
Or maybe Intel are a bunch of cunts who never felt the need to innovate because they had such a large market share and AMD just could not compete with them? Suddenly they hear about AMD working on a 7nm chip, shit themselves and start trying to catch up. Surely extensive testing has been done on the chips by AMD...I can't see them hinging so much on an untested product.

What I'm skeptical about is the new 12 and 16 core CPU's that they're releasing. I have no doubt they work, but will they be worth the price premium for gamers? We'll see.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
AMD get companies who specialize in wafers to do their work, they just design them. Intel attempts, and fails, year after year after year to do it all in house. The chips are made by some very, very, very respected companies.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
That's not how CPUs work.

If it passes testing it's one in a million to ever fail. They practically last forever.

AMD don't make the 7nm wafers, they give a chip design and TSMC make them, the same guys who design the chips for iPhones, and a bunch of other companies. iPhone XS is on the same 7nm process.

Intel can't move to 10nm because they bit off more than they can chew but have thrown 10s of billions into it and can't abandon project without shareholders suing them left and right.

Alec

International Rep
Well, I don't claim to be an expert haha 😜. I just felt it was a bit suspicious at the time, thanks for the explanation guys. I've definitely been waiting for it too, I still have a 3570K, so I just wanted to make sure it's something I won't have to upgrade for years.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Well, I don't claim to be an expert haha . I just felt it was a bit suspicious at the time, thanks for the explanation guys. I've definitely been waiting for it too, I still have a 3570K, so I just wanted to make sure it's something I won't have to upgrade for years.
I'm waiting for independent reviews myself but some early leaked reviews are showing the $250 AMD beating Intel's current $600 i7 in most ways. So the value proposition is the best it's been in like 10 years where Intel was pumping out a 5% performance bump every year.

Myself, Nashy and Harry are all jumping on the Ryzen train soon.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
I'm waiting for independent reviews myself but some early leaked reviews are showing the $250 AMD beating Intel's current $600 i7 in most ways. So the value proposition is the best it's been in like 10 years where Intel was pumping out a 5% performance bump every year.

Myself, Nashy and Harry are all jumping on the Ryzen train soon.
Would this $250 AMD be worthwhile for someone like me? My FX-4100 has been great for the price and age but as has been pointed out, is not really suitable for proper gaming. I'm assuming the Ryzen will be a straight plug-in too, AMD out, AMD in?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Would this $250 AMD be worthwhile for someone like me? My FX-4100 has been great for the price and age but as has been pointed out, is not really suitable for proper gaming. I'm assuming the Ryzen will be a straight plug-in too, AMD out, AMD in?
No, you will need a new board and new ram. And those are USD prices.

But yes. You need to upgrade, and consult actual nerds to make sure you get value, not Google.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
No, you will need a new board and new ram. And those are USD prices.

But yes. You need to upgrade, and consult actual nerds to make sure you get value, not Google.
Because the rest of my system is old and slow and will need upgrading? Or because it's literally incompatible?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Because the rest of my system is old and slow and will need upgrading? Or because it's literally incompatible?
Literally not compatable. Zen uses a different socket to your FX, and your ram will be too slow.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
This feels like 2004 when AMD vs Intel was actually a thing.
It's fucking great man. It's been quite literally about 13 years where Intel has had zero competition at the high end so they could just charge whatever they want and just make token improvements.

Now we just need AMD (or Intel next year) to make awesome graphics cards again to get some price competition there.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You would need new RAM, new motherboard and a new CPU.

The 199USD processor is essentially matching the current flagship $499USD Intel CPU for all round performance and only about 5% behind in games. In AUD that's about $300 and $900 at retail here.

That being said it's not the best time to upgrade if you want pure value. Only flagship motherboards are being released at launch with the regular motherboards coming out at the end of the year which should be about $150 cheaper.

If you are keen to upgrade at some point hit me up and I'll link you the best value stuff.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
You would need new RAM, new motherboard and a new CPU.

The 199USD processor is essentially matching the current flagship $499USD Intel CPU for all round performance and only about 5% behind in games. In AUD that's about $300 and $900 at retail here.

That being said it's not the best time to upgrade if you want pure value. Only flagship motherboards are being released at launch with the regular motherboards coming out at the end of the year which should be about $150 cheaper.

If you are keen to upgrade at some point hit me up and I'll link you the best value stuff.
For argument's sake, is this new stuff going to bring down prices across the board? As in, will it mean that something that is compatible with my system will also come down in price? Or is it only going to affect top-end stuff?

Point being, I can maybe justify working a few more weekends to throw $200 - $300 at it for a useful improvement. But a new CPU, board & ram will likely be out of my budget.

Remembering of course I only play for fun and am actually quite content with how my system goes on 90% of games.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
For argument's sake, is this new stuff going to bring down prices across the board? As in, will it mean that something that is compatible with my system will also come down in price? Or is it only going to affect top-end stuff?

Point being, I can maybe justify working a few more weekends to throw $200 - $300 at it for a useful improvement. But a new CPU, board & ram will likely be out of my budget.

Remembering of course I only play for fun and am actually quite content with how my system goes on 90% of games.
There isn't really a viable economical upgrade path for your platform but it will absolutely bring down prices across the board.

Previous gen AMD gear which is still very good I think will see steep price drops to clear out stock so for a budget upgrade I'd be keeping an eye out on motherboard/CPU bundles being cleared out in the next month. Ryzen 2600 CPU or along those lines at clearance prices would still be an enormous power upgrade and probably very cheap.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
I'll add to that Morkel Morkel I have 16gb of DDR4 spare that I will be happy to part with for the measly sum of a beer at the next game we attend. It's not especially fast, 2400MHz, but it would be compatible with a new board and would be adequate until you can afford newer, faster ram.

Alec

International Rep
I'll add to that Morkel Morkel I have 16gb of DDR4 spare that I will be happy to part with for the measly sum of a beer at the next game we attend. It's not especially fast, 2400MHz, but it would be compatible with a new board and would be adequate until you can afford newer, faster ram.
People still pay for RAM? This had been around for years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter