Gaming Thread

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Looking for a new switch game, particularly an older one that will be cheap. Any suggestions?
I would highly recommend Dead Cells if you don't have it yet? Side scrolling rogue like with awesome variety and replayability through unlocks and difficulty settings as you progress. Easily the best value for money game I've ever purchased on the switch.

Highly recommend Katana Zero, Hotline Miami collection (though you'll have to access via an overseas store as not availability on AU) and Hyper Light Drifter.

I got very good mileage out of Steamworld Quest also. Fun little indie title mixing up JRPG combat with deck building. Lots of depth in the combo system and synergies.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
I would highly recommend Dead Cells if you don't have it yet? Side scrolling rogue like with awesome variety and replayability through unlocks and difficulty settings as you progress. Easily the best value for money game I've ever purchased on the switch.

Highly recommend Katana Zero, Hotline Miami collection (though you'll have to access via an overseas store as not availability on AU) and Hyper Light Drifter.

I got very good mileage out of Steamworld Quest also. Fun little indie title mixing up JRPG combat with deck building. Lots of depth in the combo system and synergies.
Thanks mate, big sale on at the moment on the Nintendo e-store so I’ll see what they are on there.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Skyrim? It’s pretty cheap atm.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
I think the regular BR mode is shit, but Kimlo Kimlo and Harry Sack Harry Sack like it. They wear helmets to the shops though.
I took wearing protection to the shops a little too far admittedly.

roo-ted roo-ted the vanilla BR isn't particularly good IMO but the mode where you just gather and deposit cash is pretty great. Same map, you drop with a loadout that you create and you can respawn. Comes with the free part of the game too. That 110GB though...

roo-ted

NRL Player
I took wearing protection to the shops a little too far admittedly.

roo-ted roo-ted the vanilla BR isn't particularly good IMO but the mode where you just gather and deposit cash is pretty great. Same map, you drop with a loadout that you create and you can respawn. Comes with the free part of the game too. That 110GB though...
Yeah man 110GB is hectic, must be a well built game. I currently live on a farm so I don’t have nbn, but in a few weeks will be moving back to the suburbs, so I’ll down load it then if you play PS4 and are up for a game. I’m not to bad at battle royal, as I’ve been a H1Z1 freak for the last couple of years

roo-ted

NRL Player
Thanks mate, big sale on at the moment on the Nintendo e-store so I’ll see what they are on there.

If you play PS4, they have call of duties black ops 4 for 60% off $35 down from $100 I’d jump on that if you don’t already own it. It’s on PlayStation plus so you just pay for it and download

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane

$80 on the E-Shop? Unless you're talking about a different platform?

I've never played it, but it's reputation precedes itself as one of the greatest Western RPGs of all-time. The Witcher 3 has since come along and stolen it's thunder, but in 2011 Skyrim was massive and just dominated the conversation as far as Western RPGs go.

Mario & Rabbids for $15 is a steal on the EShop. On paper it sounded like a disaster but it's meant to be a strong entry in the strategy genre and plays very similarly to XCom with all the Ubisoft/Nintendo charm. They also got the guy who did the music for Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64 and GoldenEye to work on it so as an overall package it's really charming.

It sounds like you're in the mood for an adventure I would personally recommend Dragon Quest XI: S, Astral Chain and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

DQ XI -DQ is an instintution and the best turn-based JRPG series ever made. XI is the most realised, especially since the Switch version restored the orchestral soundtrack and added a ton of QoL features that sped the gameplay up.

Astral Chain - A really interesting take on the hack and slash genre where you're constantly calling on these living weapons to fight alongside and using your chain to counter enemies and lasso them up. I think the open world is just as strong as the actual combat and it's really easy to get addicted to all the side stuff with each level.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Love the world design in this. Big open areas filled with secrets and you're constantly encouraged to return to worlds and explore like a Metroid game. I really enjoyed it, but it's for everyone. Combat is like an MMORPG and the anime influence can be too much so feel free to 'nope' out of it if you don't like what you see. Otherwise I think it's a fantastic adventure and once you get a handle on combat it's really fun and chaotic.

$60 is too much but keep an eye on Ni No Kuni. I'm not sure if you played it on PS3 but it's a AAA Pokemon clone with Studio Ghibli assets. It's not quite the home run it should have been, but it's still a good time.

Astral Chain -

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
It doesn't mean Clint Eastwood western, it means western hemisphere i.e. not Japanese.
This man gets it.

It came into vogue after every Japanese developer started copying Dragon Quest. Essentially they're more streamlined JRPGs with a linear path.

Alec

International Rep
Personally, as a pretty big RPG fan, I thought Skyrim was very medicore - stripped down from Oblivion and Morrowind, very glitchy, but I can see the massive appeal to someone who isn't a big RPG fan, or as someone's first entry into the series. At the time, with its huge marketing push, it was probably many peoples first look at the open world genre too. Open world games are probably the perfect thing to play when you are isolated, can just watch the hours go by.

Last edited:

Renegade

NRL Captain
I just couldn't get into Skyrim. Maybe I'm more of just a fallout guy than an actual RPG gamer.

On another note, bought the two Civ 6 DLC's - pretty much had to relearn how to play the game as it's changed a fair bit since vanilla - once you get the hang of it though it's pretty fun.

The only issue I have is it's slowly creeping towards grand strategy games like Crusader Kings with the amount of micromanging you have to do. Grand Strategy games are fun but **** they're full on.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Skyrim is pretty fun but enormously overrated. I've constantly read it's one of the best games ever blah blah, Assassin's Creed is a more interesting game.

It's a fun story and all but the actual main story line is like barely 3 hours? And a lot of the missions are repetitive run here, do this, then do it again. The graphics suck and there's a lot of bugs even to this day.

Good game for sure but hugely overrated. Given I got it for like $10 bucks though, I'm not complaining. I'll definitely play ES6 but I'll wait 6 months or a year for it to go on a significant discount.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
Thanks all. Gonna hold off at the moment, still smashing through Witcher Wild Hunt Ultimate edition and loving it. Will try to finish this first.

Allo

NRL Captain
broncos4life broncos4life

Skyrim is my happy-place game. I’ve poured thousands of hours in to it.

I don’t have a large experience with RPG’s but while Skyrim is a little bare-boned, it does have a very open pathway to play however you want. It’s set in some form of medieval era, so sword and shield/mage/archer/stealth assassin etc are your play styles but you can tailor these to be single skill, in between, or an all-round. Skills increase based on use and by power level, ie block a high damage attack and your block skill goes up higher than from a low damage attack. Use a high cost/damage magic and your skill goes up quicker than a low cost/damage one. And so on.

To get full access to everything on the vanilla version you will need to do one of the main storylines to a point, but you can do everything else at your own pace in your own way (there are ideal ways to get the best versions of gear and stuff). There’s a tonne of mods available to enhance your experience but unfortunately for Switch they can only work with a hacked Switch it seems. PS and Xbox have access to some but PC will obviously have all of them. You’ll still get the official DLCs with the base game though

The bajillion side missions are at times basic like many other rpg’s, but relatively speaking there’s only a few monotonous quests.

The game is almost a decade old, so it will feel it’s age a little to a newcomer, but it’s still a lot of fun imo. The game does have its fair share of bugs and glitches, because it has to constantly populate the giant sandbox world, but a lot of the game breaking ones are gone since the current gen re-releases, but you should always be able to reload a working save file if anything goes wrong

I’m playing through it again now seriously for the 7th or 8th time.

Allo

NRL Captain
PSA

The Last of Us 2 has been leaked and spoiled apparently. I don’t know anything yet, and hope not to, but I don’t think I’ll be let down as I’ve already been skeptical for a while already

Fozz

International Rep
Staff

Seinfeld may have ended over 20 years ago, but two superfans have made it their mission to create an official game for Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld‘s beloved sitcom.

Helmed by Paradigm creator Jacob Janerka and animator Ivan Dixon (Childish Gambino‘s “Feels Like Summer” and pixel intros for The Simpsons, Adventure Time and Rick & Morty), Seinfeld Adventure is pitched as a point-and-click adventure game that perfectly captures the sitcom’s ’90s themes, aesthetics and premise of being “a show about nothing.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teak1983

Members online

Twitter