Gaming Thread

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
So, I’ve got two wireless Xbox One controllers now and a 5m HDMI cable to go from my PC in the office to the Tv in the lounge. Haven’t set it up yet to test the TV output, but concerned that it’s a non ARC HDMI cable. Should be able to output audio from my PC to my Sonos system in lounge regardless. Ideally, I’m trying to turn my PC into a lounge room console type experience for the family.

If anyone has some tips about this sort of setup, I’m all ears. Obviously trying to avoid lag.

Second question, I’m looking for games that my 5 year old, my partner and I can play together. Two players is fine, though we do have three controllers (one wired). We’ve been playing Ninjago in two player mode and have loved it, but the game constantly crashes at certain points and drives us crazy.

Need 2 player games that we can have heaps of fun in that’s adventure based. Platformers would be fine too.

What’s your best suggestions?

Financeguy

QCup Player
Second question, I’m looking for games that my 5 year old, my partner and I can play together. Two players is fine, though we do have three controllers (one wired). We’ve been playing Ninjago in two player mode and have loved it, but the game constantly crashes at certain points and drives us crazy.

Need 2 player games that we can have heaps of fun in that’s adventure based. Platformers would be fine too.

Whilst not adventure based, Rocket League and Overcooked can be fun couch co-op games.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So, I’ve got two wireless Xbox One controllers now and a 5m HDMI cable to go from my PC in the office to the Tv in the lounge. Haven’t set it up yet to test the TV output, but concerned that it’s a non ARC HDMI cable. Should be able to output audio from my PC to my Sonos system in lounge regardless. Ideally, I’m trying to turn my PC into a lounge room console type experience for the family.

If anyone has some tips about this sort of setup, I’m all ears. Obviously trying to avoid lag.

You may struggle with 4K on a large screen like that with your setup. Your HDMI ports should come up in windows, allowing you to select them as an audio output device. The only thing will be having to change that in Windows when you are back on the PC.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
You may struggle with 4K on a large screen like that with your setup. Your HDMI ports should come up in windows, allowing you to select them as an audio output device. The only thing will be having to change that in Windows when you are back on the PC.
Cheers mate, ended up being an ARC + Ethernet HDMI, so audio to Sonos through Samsung Tv is fine. I’m running a 10 year old Samsung TV so it’s 1080p, 100hz.

Worked great on Ninjago but refused to see the Xbox controllers unless they were cabled with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. So strange.

Need to put a bit of time and effort into configuring my system for this.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Cheers mate, ended up being an ARC + Ethernet HDMI, so audio to Sonos through Samsung Tv is fine. I’m running a 10 year old Samsung TV so it’s 1080p, 100hz.

Worked great on Ninjago but refused to see the Xbox controllers unless they were cabled with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. So strange.

Need to put a bit of time and effort into configuring my system for this.
I'm not sure if Windows can handle two controllers or not?

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I'm not sure if Windows can handle two controllers or not?
Yeah it can handle up to eight without headsets. I’m also using the PC dongle that utilises Microsoft’s proprietary wireless setup. Bluetooth pisses me off.

Ninjago had no problems with dual wireless in the lounge, but Ori couldn’t even handle the single wireless controller - had to be plugged in. Frustrating as Ori is an Xbox game...

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I’ll be testing Forza tonight in the lounge. If I can’t get that working, I’m gonna blow my top.

Allo

NRL Captain
Just buy a PS5 instead

on a related note, I’m going to have to buy and finish TLoU2 purely to avoid being spoiled rather than playing it in my own time 🙄

Rally Towel

NRL Captain

I would weigh in and recommend Minecraft Dungeons. Essentially Diablo lite with the Minecraft aesthetic. Have been having a blast with our 3 and 5 yr old.

Simple game play, build choices are defined by gear and quite flexible. Drop in/drop out co-op with mob quantity scaling accordingly.

Despite the simplicity, it does touch on key systems and concepts from more complex titles. Kite bosses, burn the adds, don't stand in the fire. Prioritise mobs based on type (caster>ranged>melee). CC is king. Utilise choke points. Stack bonuses and synergies wherever possible.

Don't expect great depth but it's clearly designed for a younger audience and does so admirably.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Volvo Driver

Twitter