CRICKET General Cricket Discussion - 2023/24

Interesting point on Paine stepping aside after this summer. I am personally in the camp that he needs to go but I think there will be plenty that call for him to stay.

However, I think the better question is has enough water gone under the bridge for Steve Smith to regain the test captaincy?

I think it'll be one of the big media talking points in coming months.

I think it is ok, he's already captaining in 20/20 tournaments here and there, so yeah, why not.

I think it is ok, he's already captaining in 20/20 tournaments here and there, so yeah, why not.
I would have no issue with it. I don't think he should have been stripped of it in the first place.

I do however think there will be a vocal few in the media that oppose him being reinstated and CA might not be prepared to put themselves in the firing line.

I would have no issue with it. I don't think he should have been stripped of it in the first place.

I do however think there will be a vocal few in the media that oppose him being reinstated and CA might not be prepared to put themselves in the firing line.

But what other options are there?

I just happened to stumble upon a documentary about Muttiah Muralitharan, very good watch. One of the nicest guys in cricket imo.

I hate that there's always comparisons to him and Warne when talking about the best spin bowler ever, I think they're both at the top. The best off-spinner ever & the best leg-spinner ever. Warne had 92 fewer wickets, but also bowled 3,300 fewer balls and had an elite bowling attack around him taking far more wickets than Murali's supporting cast.

I just happened to stumble upon a documentary about Muttiah Muralitharan, very good watch. One of the nicest guys in cricket imo.

I hate that there's always comparisons to him and Warne when talking about the best spin bowler ever, I think they're both at the top. The best off-spinner ever & the best leg-spinner ever. Warne had 92 fewer wickets, but also bowled 3,300 fewer balls and had an elite bowling attack around him taking far more wickets than Murali's supporting cast.

In defense of Murali, it also meant batsmen were also less likely to take risks against him. I feel privileged to have seen both.

Keen for the Sheffield Shield to start back up with all of the Test players returning. Unfortunately we'll be without the guys in the T20 squad travelling to NZ until mid-March or so.

Thought I'd take the opportunity to list what I perceive to be the best possible Shield line-up for each state.

New South Wales Blues -

1. David Warner
2. Daniel Hughes
3. Kurtis Patterson
4. Steve Smith
5. Moises Henriques
6. Peter Nevill (c) (wk)
7. Sean Abbott
8. Patrick Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

Depth: Adam Zampa, Trent Copeland, Daniel Sams, Ben Dwarshius, Harry Conway, Chris Tremain, Nick Larkin

Queensland Bulls -

1. Bryce Street
2. Joe Burns
3. Marnus Labuschagne
4. Usman Khawaja (c)
5. Matthew Renshaw
6. Jimmy Peirson (wk)
7. Jack Wildermuth
8. Michael Neser
9. Mark Steketee
10. Mitchell Swepson
11. Xavier Bartlett

Depth: Billy Stanlake, Brendan Doggett, Sam Heazlett

South Australia Redbacks -

1. Jake Weatherald
2. Henry Hunt
3. Callum Ferguson
4. Travis Head (c)
5. Tom Cooper
6. Alex Carey (wk)
7. Chadd Sayers
8. Joe Mennie
9. Daniel Worrall
10. Wes Agar
11. Lloyd Pope

Depth: Kane Richardson, Jake Lehmann

Tasmania Tigers -

1. Jordan Silk
2. Alex Doolan
3. Matthew Wade (c)
4. Ben McDermott
5. Jake Doran
6. Tim Paine (wk)
7. Beau Webster
8. Peter Siddle
9. Jackson Bird
10. Nathan Ellis
11. Riley Meredith

Depth: Charlie Wakim, Caleb Jewell, Mac Wright

Victoria Bushrangers -

1. Marcus Harris
2. Will Pucovski
3. Peter Handscomb (c)
4. Nic Maddinson
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Jake Fraser-McGurk
7. Sam Harper (wk)
8. James Pattinson
9. Will Sutherland
10. Scott Boland
11. Jon Holland

Depth: Aaron Finch, Mackenzie Harvey, Seb Gotch

Western Australia Warriors -

1. Cameron Bancroft
2. Sam Whiteman
3. Shaun Marsh (c)
4. Mitchell Marsh
5. Hilton Cartwright
6. Cameron Green
7. Josh Inglis (wk)
8. Ashton Agar
9. Jhye Richardson
10. Matthew Kelly
11. Jason Behrendorff

Depth: Marcus Stoinis, D'Arcy Short, Cameron Gannon, Ashton Turner, Josh Philippe, Joel Paris

Bit rough on Hazlewood he can't even crack the NSW squad.

If all test players are available, NSW should be $1.05 with the bookies.

If all test players are available, NSW should be $1.05 with the bookies.
While they do have the entire Test bowling attack, the India series has shown that they can be a bit average at times. Cummins and to a lesser extent Hazelwood are the consistent performers. Starc and Lyon on the other hand.

But jeez it'd be nice to see an entire Shield season with those teams. When was the last time Australia vs Australia A played as a Probables v Possibles to decide some spots

Last edited:
While they do have the entire Test bowling attack, the India series has shown that they can be a bit average at times. Cummins and to a lesser extent Hazelwood are the consistent performers. Starc and Lyon on the other hand.

But jeez it'd be nice to see an entire Shield season with those teams. When was the last time Australia vs Australia A played as a Probables v Possibles to decide some spots

Pre-Ashes I believe this occurred.

I want it to have a bit of niggle/ plying for sheep stations.

Luke when McGrath cracked cos Haydos was belting him around the ground

That is some side that NSW one though.

Also arguably the 2 best batsmen in Warner and Smith.

Joe Root's last three test first innings:

204* (and counting)

And he has the highest ever score in his 100th test AND they have all been in the subcontinent. This year's Ashes could be really interesting if he can maintain this form.

England are currently making India look like a second rate team in India, really puts into perspective just how bad Australia was in that Brisbane test and how much India's reserve team played above their skin.

Should be a very interesting Ashes:

Smith v Root
Sibley v Warner
Pope v Pucovski
Archer v Cummins
Butler v Paine
Bess v Lyon
Stokes v Green

The key will be the supporting casts, does England have anyone to match Hazlewood or Labushagne? Can Green provide anything like Stokes can? It will be fascinating.

England are currently making India look like a second rate team in India, really puts into perspective just how bad Australia was in that Brisbane test
Sure does, really rams home to me that difficult decisions needed to be made for the South African series that weren’t made. It was a shocking loss that shouldn’t be ignored.

England out for 578, I’d do cartwheels around the loungeroom if we went to India right now and scored 578 across two innings.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.