CRICKET General Cricket Discussion - 2023/24

Stoinis isn’t in the best 11 anymore. Cummins has to come back and Green is the better batter and bowler. Tim can go have his fun in the t20 World Cup and finish at that. I don’t think you realise how bad the batting depth in Australia is. Like I mean genuine batters. Tim David does not rank whatsoever in one day discussions. I agree with you I think Stoinis fucken sucks but he will be in the squad inevitably. But there isn’t really great options running around that aren’t all rounders who kind of just fill a gap.

Well Zimbabwe embarrassed us and our bowlers had to be at their elite best to get the series win over NZ.

Just think it's worth a crack at some point, see how he goes.

No. We need top order batsman and I think a bloke who is probably pretty lucky to get his way into a reigning t20 World Cup side within 12 months won’t force his way into the one day top order off t20 performances. Yeah he has been good but not at one day level, completely different mindsets and especially requirements for the way Australia’s lineup is structured. We aren’t England our bowling side isn’t gonna concede 400 so we dont need to play risky to score it. We need blokes who can get big scores not quick ones. 300+ runs should win Australia almost every one day game. For mine Travis has one spot either opening or 4 and either Marnus or someone else snags the other. I don’t love Marnus in one day so I would rather Travis play 4 and find ourselves an opener but really that shouldn’t ever be Tim David. Also no space in the middle-lower order. A million blokes are ranked above him in that department. It would have merit if the only 2 avenues into the team weren’t opener and 2nd drop. Especially when Marnus is the current 2nd drop. Tim is nowhere near Marnus’ level despite the fact I don’t want him in the side.

You are underrating David man, he's EXACTLY what you want as a lower middle order finisher.

I'd go:
1. Warner
2. Wade
3. M.Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. David
7. Green (I'd actually be tempted to go REALLY left field and give Sams this spot but I am president of Green's fan club, so can't do that)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

You are underrating David man, he's EXACTLY what you want as a lower middle order finisher.

I'd go:
1. Warner
2. Wade
3. M.Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. David
7. Green (I'd actually be tempted to go REALLY left field and give Sams this spot but I am president of Green's fan club, so can't do that)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood
1-7 I can’t get behind. David isn’t even the worst of that. Wade can open if you really like but he isn’t at a standard to be a 50 over gloveman anymore especially in India with spin. Can’t have him without Carey.

Actually something I haven’t considered either until now is that Carey is a white ball opener. Could we see him open? I don’t really like that idea cause inevitably stoinis will find his way into the side again considering his stature.

Mitch Marsh would have to have last years t20 World Cup form for mine to consider his just sheer lack of technique to bat at 3. But even then if he does get back to that form this summer I can’t see it being at the top of the order in the one day squad.

I can’t see McDonald taking many risks in the next 12 months so for 3 blokes who haven’t been making one day squads: David ever and Marsh and Wade for years is pretty unlikely. I can’t help but think everyone will be pretty underwhelmed with the side/squad that ends up getting picked. It will be a safe option side that will be enough to get to the semis and keep his job but not enough to win it.

I'd go:
1. Warner
2. Wade
3. M.Marsh
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. David
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood
Me and sprojy are twins, Daniel sams is such a good shout, but my love for sams isn't compatible with greens skill level

You just beat me to it. Strange one and I probably won’t stay up to watch that late but it sure is interesting. I’m assuming since he replaced Dave they just didn’t want to ruin the continuity of the sides functionality. On top of that get to trial something we usually otherwise wouldn’t.

Nice to see Nathan Ellis get a run as well. Been playing well for a couple years and gets another game in the green and gold to back it up.

Tim David, despite my sheer distaste for any thought of him being in the one day side, he can hit a ball well and will be good to see him at this level.

You just beat me to it. Strange one and I probably won’t stay up to watch that late but it sure is interesting. I’m assuming since he replaced Dave they just didn’t want to ruin the continuity of the sides functionality. On top of that get to trial something we usually otherwise wouldn’t.

Nice to see Nathan Ellis get a run as well. Been playing well for a couple years and gets another game in the green and gold to back it up.

Tim David, despite my sheer distaste for any thought of him being in the one day side, he can hit a ball well and will be good to see him at this level.

You realise this is T20 and not ODI right?

Just because he is listed there doesn’t mean he will. Wade is in the team and has opened plenty of times.

You realise this is T20 and not ODI right?
Yes champion. Only stated ODI to demonstrate the fact that despite not wanting him in the ODI team as we discussed 2 days ago, I am still excited to see how he goes for the t20’s as he does deserve it. Probably not worded perfectly but really nothing else about what I said would suggest you thinking otherwise whatsoever.

Well I think Cam might have just given the selectors some food for thought for the opening spot, that was destructive!

No doubt this will be a wildly unpopular suggestion for many, but I reckon we should be looking past Glen Maxwell in both forms of white ball cricket now.

A few years ago when he was in and out of our short form teams, there was a suggestion he wasn't being given enough opportunity & confidence to succeed. Well, the selectors have rectified that in recent times and he's still proven to be wildly inconsistent and unreliable.

For someone touted as a matchwinner, imo Maxwell (with the bat) opens the door for opposition teams to win matches, more often than he wins matches for Australia.

No doubt this will be a wildly unpopular suggestion for many, but I reckon we should be looking past Glen Maxwell in both forms of white ball cricket now.

A few years ago when he was in and out of our short form teams, there was a suggestion he wasn't being given enough opportunity & confidence to succeed. Well, the selectors have rectified that in recent times and he's still proven to be wildly inconsistent and unreliable.

For someone touted as a matchwinner, imo Maxwell (with the bat) opens the door for opposition teams to win matches, more often than he wins matches for Australia.
I think a little bit to early to call for that. 100% see where you are coming from but I think this is more so a spurt of bad form rather than coming over the bridge a little bit. But in saying that his form at the minute has left a lot to be desired.

Well I think Cam might have just given the selectors some food for thought for the opening spot, that was destructive!
Best batswing i've ever seen, what a gun. Kinda hope the Stoinis injury doesn't heal in time for the T20 World Cup and he gets in.

It is good in theory but who are you replacing him with? The reality is, this side is getting pretty old now, they do need to regenerate to an extent but I suspect this will occur after the WC. Finch will retire, Warner maybe, Starc possibly, Wade at some point soon. Smith, Stoinis and Maxwell aren't getting any younger.

If Cummins is in the ODI or T20 side, he should be the captain. I'd be using a bloke like Head as VC if he is in the side, as he's probably the best cricket captain in the side but just can't be made captain of a side he isn't a lock in.

Best batswing i've ever seen, what a gun. Kinda hope the Stoinis injury doesn't heal in time for the T20 World Cup and he gets in.

I thought it was a brilliant tactic, it won't work every time and we'll have to live with that but when you get a guy who can put a side like India under pressure right from the get go, who wouldn't want that in their team?

I thought it was a brilliant tactic, it won't work every time and we'll have to live with that but when you get a guy who can put a side like India under pressure right from the get go, who wouldn't want that in their team?
I think he's just too good to leave out, wherever he bats. Recently he's got Man of match in Sri Lanka in a test match and ODI, man of the match vs the kiwis and man of the match vs India. Most recent scores are 89*, 25* and 61 and then there's his bowling and fielding. I know he's young and they gotta manage his workload but not for a T20 World Cup.

Sure as shit better than Finch and sure as shit better than him coming in at 6 or lower like he had him doing in the one dayers earlier on as if he wasn’t one of the best batsman in the country. As you said won’t work all the time and I’d probably steer clear of that being the opening replacement for one dayers but at t20 it seemed to have worked and I like it. Only thing is that heaps of Aussies are excelling in the opener position domestically and will probably snag it over him. Find him a place I. The top 6 in the t20 side for sure though. That hitting was not only destructive but beautiful.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Hoof Hearted
  • RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  • Manifesto
  • leon.bott
  • Jedhead
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Organix
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • LittleDavey
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.