General Tech Recommendations

soup

State of Origin Rep
Y'all wireless haters need Jesus.
Charging is a pain in the arse. So many batteries as it is.

I’m real keen to jump on wireless charging for all devices as soon as the tech matures a bit more.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Charging is a pain in the arse. So many batteries as it is.

I’m real keen to jump on wireless charging for all devices as soon as the tech matures a bit more.
I don't get that at all. You convert your wireless headphones to wired headphones for an hour, and then convert them back to wireless. As opposed to constantly having that wire there.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Love my Arctis 7's but if you have a massive melon like Kimlo, they may not be comfy.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Sennheiser all day every day. I don't even care which one, they are the best.

I personally have had the Sennheiser Game Zero since 2015 and I still think they are 10/10. I've tried heaps since, Logitech G533, Arctis Steelseries 7 and a few others and none of them come close.

10/10 comfort
9/10 sound
10/10 microphone (for a gaming headset anyway)

They have the GSP 300 which is their cheaper model which would easily be my pick under $150

GSP 500/550/600 are the next tier up and definitely in the super premium gaming headphone market. If you shop around you can probably get the 500s under $300. Open back sounds better but everyone around you can hear your headphones too.
500 = open back
550 = open back but connects with USB
600 = closed back

I'd personally never choose USB headphones as I like being able to use them on my phone occasionally, the game zero anyway had two cables in the box one split for PC and one single connector for phone use.
I've also used the Sennheiser Game Zero's since around that time, and before them I used the Sennheiser Game One's (Same headset except open backed & velvet ear cushions instead of leather). I recently bought 2 new sets of ear cushions for them, good as new. Got the One's in my drawer as a back-up / spare in case of emergency. Might even switch back to them in Summer, they're a bit more comfortable when it's hot :P

soup

State of Origin Rep
I don't get that at all. You convert your wireless headphones to wired headphones for an hour, and then convert them back to wireless. As opposed to constantly having that wire there.
If it’s just a matter of that, then sure. But these headphones cost me about $400 5 years ago and they don’t need replacing.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
View attachment 5990

I’ve had a set of these for the past 5 years and couldn’t be happier. The workmanship is second to none as I’ve used and abused them plenty over that time and they are as if I bought them yesterday. I use them when mowing lawns and everything. They probably aren’t around anymore so this is more seconding Kimlo’s suggestion of Sennheiser.
You should check out the Massdrop Sennheiser 6XX. They are basically the Sennheiser 650, modernised for about 300 dollarydoos. For comparison sake, the 650s in Aus are $600.

If I didn't need a mic for gaming I'd have already purchased it.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It's not the charging part at all, although saying you convert them to wired is a little misleading. Having a shit arse inflexible short micro USB cable hanging off is not in anyway comparable to a super flexible light analogue cable. Even using them like that for 10 minutes is annoying.

But the real reason I haven't went wireless is the quality isn't there. The actual top tier stuff doesn't exist in wireless although now Sennheiser finally have a wireless set of fans with the GSP700 but there's no way I can justify $500 for what is essentially a bit of an upgrade sound wise and ditching a cable.

If my headphones break one day and I had to buy new I'd very highly consider those wireless senns. Or if you give me 200 bucks because you're a good guy

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I've also used the Sennheiser Game Zero's since around that time, and before them I used the Sennheiser Game One's (Same headset except open backed & velvet ear cushions instead of leather). I recently bought 2 new sets of ear cushions for them, good as new. Got the One's in my drawer as a back-up / spare in case of emergency. Might even switch back to them in Summer, they're a bit more comfortable when it's hot :P
Funny story actually, my original pair the war pads were kind of falling off after 6 months, emailed Senn with some pictures, they asked for my address and sent me a brand new sealed retail package as a replacement and told me I don't need to return the old pair. Great guys.

Can you link me the replacement cushions? Mind are slowly wearing out so I wouldn't mind replacing them so they look new again.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Funny story actually, my original pair the war pads were kind of falling off after 6 months, emailed Senn with some pictures, they asked for my address and sent me a brand new sealed retail package as a replacement and told me I don't need to return the old pair. Great guys.

Can you link me the replacement cushions? Mind are slowly wearing out so I wouldn't mind replacing them so they look new again.
I just bought the replacement cushions directly from the Sennheiser website. They were a bit expensive, and there's quite a lot of negative reviews saying that they're nowhere near as high quality as the original cushions, but meh, they seem fine to me.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Has anyone used any of the 'budget' bluetooth wireless airbuds?
If so - any recommendations?

Not needed for phone calls etc - just for listening to music etc at work.

I can't justify forking out $200 for the Galaxy buds.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Has anyone used any of the 'budget' bluetooth wireless airbuds?
If so - any recommendations?

Not needed for phone calls etc - just for listening to music etc at work.

I can't justify forking out $200 for the Galaxy buds.
Bought these and they came in about a week, brilliant quality when you factor in the price. Even had some bass which really surprised me.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Bought these and they came in about a week, brilliant quality when you factor in the price. Even had some bass which really surprised me.

Yeah I was looking at those, the Xiaomi Redmi AirDots and the Tronsmart Spunky Pro. Happy to go with your recommendation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter