General Tech Recommendations

soup

State of Origin Rep
Recording music you probably don't want a USB microphone at all.

The short answer is a Blue Yeti is probably more than good enough for all but the most fussy audiophiles.

The AT+ is slightly better but IMO not worth the extra investment.

If you wanted to a level higher, realistically you absolutely want an XLR microphone rather than a USB one which takes you to something like a Blue Yeti Pro and then you need an XLR interface https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Focusrite-Scarlett-Solo-2nd-Gen-USB-Audio-Interface-NEW-DJ-City/162142217346?epid=1178255136&hash=item25c06de482:g:lLkAAOSw6n5XqRhO:rk:1:pf:0 which something like that is really good without spending a ton.

The way I see it, for 99% of people, spending about $150 on a Blue Yeti is more than enough and you'd be thrilled with the results. To get a real step above that recording live music, you want what I listed above, but even then you'll probably only hear the difference on a really good sound system. Listening from average speakers, you likely can't discern the detail difference.
Thanks mate, really appreciate it. Really!

Blue Yeti it is ;)

To my soul’s pain, she isn’t recording music atm. It’s what made me fall in love with her, but there’s a billion other reasons since.

She just wants to sound professional recording (through Camtasia) video tutorials.

I can see a viable business for me via the same path, but through design (I know, saturated), but I have an insider‘s knowledge for those don’t want to go to uni, yet want to compete with graduates.

Last edited:

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
So apparently my 4th gen ipad can't update anymore so I am looking for something similar, but preferably not Apple. Any recommendations for tablets that don't suck and run out of storage as quickly?

soup

State of Origin Rep
Is it bigger than you thought? I was surprised by the size, it's about double the size I was expecting it to be.

Haha. This post sounds terrible.
We were both surprised tbh, it’s massive. The microphone was too, haha!

But yeah, huge and heavy. Looking forward to doing some recording. Thanks for the recommendation mate.

Fozz

International Rep
My nokia wireless charging pad kicked the bucket overnight. I got it for my Lumia 920 (in 2013, I think) so that really shows it's age.

Any good wireless pads out there at the moment?

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
My nokia wireless charging pad kicked the bucket overnight. I got it for my Lumia 920 (in 2013, I think) so that really shows it's age.

QI is a standard, so they should all be pretty much the same except for the looks. I use a Samsung one, but it was free.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane

Pretty much any brand name and 10 or 15W rating is what you want.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anker-PowerPort-10W-Wireless-Qi-Charger/372557122691?epid=13015310106&hash=item56be228c83:g:WtkAAOSwgzBcLyrF:rk:1:pf:0

Something like that will be good at a reasonable price. They usually won't come with their own charger, so you will need to use the one with your phone.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Samsung-Fast-Qi-Wireless-Charger-Pad-Duo-Galaxy-Note-9-S9-Gear-S3-Watch/263893077384?epid=26022312666&hash=item3d7140cd88:m:m_w5Q_JsiE4xuD1g_GhiNGQ:sc:AU_RegularParcelWithTracking!4114!AU!-1:rk:3:pf:0

The Samsung one is awesome if you want to charge 2 at once and does come with the wall charger/cable kit as well.

Any 10W charger will do the job though, only if you're fussy about getting "fast charge" to work on a Samsung phone do you need to be a bit more careful about what you're buying.

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
Looking to replace some parts in my computer.

The two things I’m looking to replace are the motherboard and ram. Getting a lot of errors regarding the ram so my guess is they are on the way out. Currently working on confirming that.

I know the processor, video card and HDD’s are still good.

Looking for parts under $200 each. On a bit of a budget at the moment so if you’ve got parts under that you know are quite good than let me know.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
What CPU are you running, we need to know to pick a board.

Have you done an actual memtest?

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
1st gen? Dude bin it.

Get a new motherboard/cpu/ram combo, spend an extra $100 and you could probably easily get something 6th or 7th gen if you're going second hand. You can't re-use DDR3 RAM when you get a new desktop later.

Without even looking too hard - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kedron/components/i5-7600k-msi-z270-sli-plus/1207349016 That's a 7th gen i5 with a good motherboard. Add RAM and you've got a huge upgrade.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
1st gen. @Porthoz friend would confirm you've probably blown your wafers or something ;-)

But like spwn says, not viable repair. Should have kept the super computer your friend kept you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter