General Tech Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Harry Sack, May 6, 2015.

The CPU I have does what I need it to do.

The cheaper CPU’s even being 6th or 7th gen aren’t going to make much of a difference for what I use the computer for. The ones that would make a huge difference are well out of my price range at the moment.

What I do need at the moment is a motherboard and RAM, memory is the one thing I’m a bit short on.

1. Can you still buy motherboards for it?

2. Morkel

Morkel

Any reccomendations on voip or alternatives?

Currently paying $10 a month for a basic service through Dodo, but they're discontinuing their voip services.

We have fixed wireless NBN, but it's two separate houses, so the other house has the connection and the standard phone (now through the nbn instead of through the ye old phone line) and our house is connected via hardwiring to theirs. Now that I think of it, as their house doesn't use a physical line for the phone, does that mean that we can do the same without having to go down the voip route?

MyNetPhone. Worth talking to your ISP though. They may allow more, usually costs more than a VOIP account.

Mate. 1. Who the actual **** uses anything with the DoDo brand. 2. Who the hell admits it?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Aldo likes this.
  3. Morkel

Morkel

This fucker. They were cheap, and it's been flawless. Can't complain except for the fact they're, like, not doing it anymore.

4. [​IMG]

5. I use MyNetFone https://www.mynetfone.com.au personally for my business line and I have it running as a VOIP app on my phone. Don't need to keep a crappy old school phone in the house and don't need to have a second phone/sim card to do business.

I think I pay $20 a month which includes unlimited calls, probably $10 if you only care about receiving calls.

No idea on setup or anything, it's literally an app on my phone that is linked to my proper business landline number.

6. You know with video like that, they'll take care of old school ADSL & Dodo customers.

They've even got this guy recommending them, so they have to be good guys.

Harry Sack likes this.
  7. Wolfie

Wolfie NRL Captain

1156 motherboards arent that cheap because they are hard to find unless you can drop lucky and pick one up used.

Harry Sack likes this.
  8. Smartseal

Smartseal QCup Player

Are wifi range extenders able to be used in sequence(?). Eg; Modem to extender 1 to extender 2.... or do they only connect to the original source?
    I live in a highset house (circa late 70's) my fritzbox modem is situated downstairs front corner. Currently using an EoP device to extend to upper opposite end of house, this has been wigging out a bit lately so leads me to think its on its way out (same happened to last one).
    So looking for a non cable way to extend net access & wondering what might be best.
    Was thinking of multiple wireless extenders but not sure.
    Anyone have any ideas of good or alternate solutions.

9. The best option is to replace your router first with something much better. Then you might not need an extender at all.

Extender on an extender is likely going to be a world of headaches in real world use.

10. Important to note for those who aren't super nerds. Fritzbox will have tonnes of excellent reviews online, because back in the day when the internet was new, they were one of the best brands available. But now days, they simply do not compete.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM
  11. Morkel

Morkel

What device are you trying to get the internet on, and what's your line of sight?

When we were building our house and living on a site shed, we had one of those directional antennas pointing from the house down to the shed, approx 150 metres away. It could see through most walls, but not metal walls. On the receiving end, I had a wireless USB plugged in to my computer. The reason for this was the shed was made of metal, so I had to put the USB on an extension and drop it down a hole in the floor so it had direct line of sight to the antenna.

If you used one of those directional antennas, and it just needed to point through a floor, it'd probably work if you can point it vaguely in the direction of where you want the internets. If it's for a phone that you walk around with a lot (and therefore can't "point" to it as easily), it might not work so well.

The antennas are cheap (>$100) and plug in to the modem by a cable that plugs in there the stock black antennas normally are. The cables are normally ~5 metres so you can put them and aim them where best suits.

[​IMG]

Smartseal likes this.
  12. Smartseal

Smartseal QCup Player

I sort of wondered if the modem was getting a bit long in the tooth, I originally got it when I got nbn in Dec 13 from internode.
    I know sfa about this sort of shit but can muddle my way with the help of YouTube.
    What would be a top level modem to suggest.
    Mainly smart TV with Netflix, but I also have solar inverter which uses net, mainly just so I can see output & other data, it's downstairs but opposite end of house on brick wall.
    I also have a shed (15m from house) & would like to increase WiFi reception there as well.
    Would I be better to try run a cable & use another modem as a bridge (if that's what it's called)????

13. Morkel

Morkel

That's what we've done with our house. We have two houses on the property, and the internet is connected at the other house. I plan to actually run it underground (I have the stuff to do it) but have been putting it off for coming on 7 years now...

But if you do hardwire it, you can either just use a network switch at the other end, or what's called an "access point", which broadcasts its own wireless signal.

Smartseal likes this.
  14. Morkel

Morkel

I know when @Nashy@Nashy and @broncospwn@broncospwn get here they'll have something to say about my suggestions.

15. Jesus **** Morkel. He needs a better router, calm your tits.

Edit: I use Netgear and Spwn has just upgraded to them too. Nighthawke range is excellent.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    Smartseal and Morkel like this.
  16. Morkel

Morkel

Told you.

broncospwn and ChewThePhatt like this.
  17. Smartseal

Smartseal QCup Player

D7000 is $278 at officeworks. Is that a fair price.
    Is changeover straight forward, like swap plugs & away I go or do the need to configured?
    Sorry for being a pita

@broncospwn@broncospwn will be best on current pricing. He bought his within the last week I believe so has been looking around. Compared to what I paid about 1.5 years ago, it's a good price. But there is a new model out since then.

What NBN technology do you have? Do you know? If it's fiber to the property, you may be able to save money. If you're on copper phone lines with fiber to the node / VDSL, it will be a matter of plugging in, setting up, and away you go.

Smartseal likes this.