General Tech Recommendations

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Just lost my beloved Dell U3011 Monitor.

It just powers off after a few minutes, can't turn it back on, unless I unplug the power cord from the powerboard and then replug it back in. It then works for somewhere between a few seconds and a few minutes, then powers off, with the power button not responding.

I replaced the jug cord, no difference.

I changed powerboards and power outlets on a different laptop in a different room and it actually worked for 15 mins making me think it was the powerboard in my office. Then it did the same thing in the other room.

It must be the power component in the monitor...

Any ideas? Is it potentially able to be fixed? I can solder, somewhat...

Elsewise, what's a great 30"+ IPS (or whatever the tech is these days) monitor for around/under $500? I use it primarily for design-based stuff, but may purchase a gaming rig in the next few months for gaming, but predominantly design/animation.

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Just lost my beloved Dell U3011 Monitor.

It just powers off after a few minutes, can't turn it back on, unless I unplug the power cord from the powerboard and then replug it back in. It then works for somewhere between a few seconds and a few minutes, then powers off, with the power button not responding.

I replaced the jug cord, no difference.

I changed powerboards and power outlets on a different laptop in a different room and it actually worked for 15 mins making me think it was the powerboard in my office. Then it did the same thing in the other room.

It must be the power component in the monitor...

Any ideas? Is it potentially able to be fixed? I can solder, somewhat...

Elsewise, what's a great 30"+ IPS (or whatever the tech is these days) monitor for around/under $500? I use it primarily for design-based stuff, but may purchase a gaming rig in the next few months for gaming, but predominantly design/animation.
Same thing was happening to me. Except when I plugged it back in it’d work for 0.0001 seconds. Turns out it’s the backlighting. If you look really close, even when it’s “off”, you can see the faintest image on there. It’s not fixable unless you’re good at microsoldering and have spare parts.

Strangely my one still works. It’ll shit itself for 10 minutes and I have it now set up to easily switch to 1 monitor. When it comes back on I switch back to 2. Only stuffs up maybe once every 3 months.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Same thing was happening to me. Except when I plugged it back in it’d work for 0.0001 seconds. Turns out it’s the backlighting. If you look really close, even when it’s “off”, you can see the faintest image on there. It’s not fixable unless you’re good at microsoldering and have spare parts.

Strangely my one still works. It’ll shit itself for 10 minutes and I have it now set up to easily switch to 1 monitor. When it comes back on I switch back to 2. Only stuffs up maybe once every 3 months.
Sucks, I loved that monitor. More than is fair when your talking about a piece of technology.

I’m sure monitors have come a long way since, so it’s probably not a big deal, and I have enjoyed about 8 or so years of joy from it, so can’t be too pissed off.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Well AMD appears to have taken a dirty big dump on the juggernaut that is Intel. Right on time too, definitely time to upgrade the spine of my PC.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Has anyone got a recommendation for a tablet? After getting a Oneplus phone, I was interested in steering away from Samsung or Apple. Kimlo Kimlo ,any ideas mate?
I still think the iPad is the best tablet full stop and at $469 brand new, they're pretty reasonable but as far as alternatives go, the Xiaomi Mi Pad - for the price - is very good.

Samsung has finally updated their tablet line though so they're actually not terrible value anymore - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/tablets/samsung/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-10-1-wi-fi-32gb-black-2019/382170/ That in particular is reasonably priced for something with a local warranty.

That being said, the $260ish (Aliexpress, pay more for DHL shipping for sure) is still a stupidly good price and absolutely a better tablet than the $350 Samsung. I think getting a better tablet for $100 less is worth the potential warranty risk but obviously it's your call, I've personally bought/recommended them to at least 5 people and no one has reported back with any issues. Xiaomi are pretty good with making reliable stuff.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Has anyone got a recommendation for a tablet? After getting a Oneplus phone, I was interested in steering away from Samsung or Apple. Kimlo Kimlo ,any ideas mate?

This is $279 until June 19 midnight. For that price, I'd seriously consider the Samsung.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

This is $279 until June 19 midnight. For that price, I'd seriously consider the Samsung.
Old man has one of these. Very good tablet.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Can anyone recommend any parts? Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I've got $600 to spend. Not looking for anything high end. I don't play games on the computer anymore but I do a lot of video editing.

The parts in my computer are on their way out which doesn't surprise me. I've had them for over 10 years.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Can anyone recommend any parts? Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I've got $600 to spend. Not looking for anything high end. I don't play games on the computer anymore but I do a lot of video editing.

The parts in my computer are on their way out which doesn't surprise me. I've had them for over 10 years.
Kimlo Kimlo Morkel Morkel -- Ryzen up.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Now is certainly a good time to upgrade. Lots of MB, CPU deals clearing out the last gen stuff. At least there was a month or so back. I recommend not purchasing through Harvey Norman though. Cunts

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter