General Tech Recommendations

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
What are the Ryzen 5's like? I was looking at the Ryzen 5 3400G for $239.
3400G is a waste of money, if you're going that direction I'd suggest the 2400G since it's like $80 cheaper and just about the same performance.

Otherwise I'd highly recommend a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 3600 CPU. Just ask whoever you buy it from to update the BIOS, if it's Ryzen 3 ready it'll have a sticker on the box saying "RYZEN 3000 READY".

That's pretty much the ideal value combo, but you do need a graphics card. 2400G you don't need a graphics card.

3600 - $300
B450 - $100
16GB decent 3200MHz ram - $120
Case with a PSU built in - $100ish

You'd only need a storage drive after that really and a basic GPU which you can upgrade later if you need some heavier graphics horsepower.

That's pretty damn high end at a nice budget.
If you want to save a hundred or two, I'd go the same motherboard with a 2600 instead, or even a 2400G which are $199 $180 respectively, I would still keep the same motherboard though. With the 2400G you're saving $120 + the cost of a basic GPU so it's a decent budget option.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Does video editing require GPU or is it just CPU?
In general it's usually much more heavily weighted towards a CPU. Only some video editing makes any use of the GPU to assist in performance but in general CPU is much more important.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
So Super Freak Super Freak can go balls-out on his CPU and not have to worry about a decent graphics card? If that's the case, I know someone who has a very cheap but useable card spare so you can spend the money where it's needed :)

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So Super Freak Super Freak can go balls-out on his CPU and not have to worry about a decent graphics card? If that's the case, I know someone who has a very cheap but useable card spare so you can spend the money where it's needed :)
I'm all good with the graphics card. Got a spare one lying around.

The main focus is the CPU. I was just thinking of getting a cheap board (under $100) so I can put more money towards the CPU. That's probably the most important part considering the stuff I do on the computer.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I'd go with Kimlo's suggestion above for the 3600. Just be careful of the board, needs to be upgraded, or from a store that will upgrade it for you.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
I think my monitor or video card are on the way out. My video card is an Nvidia 1080 GTX and my video card is an Asus 27 inch 144hz g-sync monitor. Today I noticed after coming home on the bottom right corner of my monitor I'm getting bright white flicker flash and everywhere else it's flickering but nothing like that. I tried turning g-sync off that did nothing, tried cleaning out my current drivers and installing new ones that did nothing. I tried replugging all my cables from my monitor(including plugging into different display ports), nothing. Took my video card out, cleaned it and put it back in no change. The temperatures of the video card and the cpu are fine and I'm not overclocking.

The only thing I can do to improve it is turn the refresh rate down from 144, the more I turn down the refresh rate the less I can see the flicker and the bright white flash in the corner seems to disappear. If I put it down to 60hz you can't really notice it.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I think my monitor or video card are on the way out. My video card is an Nvidia 1080 GTX and my video card is an Asus 27 inch 144hz g-sync monitor. Today I noticed after coming home on the bottom right corner of my monitor I'm getting bright white flicker flash and everywhere else it's flickering but nothing like that. I tried turning g-sync off that did nothing, tried cleaning out my current drivers and installing new ones that did nothing. I tried replugging all my cables from my monitor(including plugging into different display ports), nothing. Took my video card out, cleaned it and put it back in no change. The temperatures of the video card and the cpu are fine and I'm not overclocking.

The only thing I can do to improve it is turn the refresh rate down from 144, the more I turn down the refresh rate the less I can see the flicker and the bright white flash in the corner seems to disappear. If I put it down to 60hz you can't really notice it.
I'd say monitor over GPU.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Case wise, anyone know another place that sells them that you can pick up from?

MSY and Umart were slim pickings. Didn't really have what I was looking for.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Now onto headsets.

Can anyone recommend a good pair? Budget would be up to $300.

I usually got the Razen headsets but looking for a change. Haven't really tried many others apart from them.

Not a fan of wireless.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Sennheiser all day every day. I don't even care which one, they are the best.

I personally have had the Sennheiser Game Zero since 2015 and I still think they are 10/10. I've tried heaps since, Logitech G533, Arctis Steelseries 7 and a few others and none of them come close.

10/10 comfort
9/10 sound
10/10 microphone (for a gaming headset anyway)

They have the GSP 300 which is their cheaper model which would easily be my pick under $150

GSP 500/550/600 are the next tier up and definitely in the super premium gaming headphone market. If you shop around you can probably get the 500s under $300. Open back sounds better but everyone around you can hear your headphones too.
500 = open back
550 = open back but connects with USB
600 = closed back

I'd personally never choose USB headphones as I like being able to use them on my phone occasionally, the game zero anyway had two cables in the box one split for PC and one single connector for phone use.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
D194D4CD-ED18-444E-ADC9-8D13AECC1329.jpeg

I’ve had a set of these for the past 5 years and couldn’t be happier. The workmanship is second to none as I’ve used and abused them plenty over that time and they are as if I bought them yesterday. I use them when mowing lawns and everything. They probably aren’t around anymore so this is more seconding Kimlo’s suggestion of Sennheiser.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter