Ghosts of 2015 still haunt Brisbane

Gallen ahead of Thurston...

giphy.

Decent bloke these days. But in his early years there would have been quite a few people wanting to put some concrete boots on him.
The reason his parents sent him to Toowoomba was because he was getting up to no good in Sunnybank.

He was a ratbag in his younger days, but apart from the occasional blow up at the referee, he's as good a role model as any these days.

Last edited:
He's great with the kids and fans, and granted they got aresholed out of the finals two years in a row, but the whinging and bleating of 'refs fault' or whatever it may be that's come out of him in recent years has put a lot of people offside. Especially because he is such a good player he comes across as expecting the game to bend to his will and blows up when it doesn't.

You never saw Locky or even Cam Smith doing shit like that. Green becoming his coach has only amplified it because he's just as bad and made Thurston worse

The reason his parents sent him to Toowoomba was because he was getting up to no good in Sunnybank.

He was a ratbag in his younger days, but apart from the occasional blow up at the referee, he's as good a role model as any these days.

Early days at the Cowboys too.

He's great with the kids and fans, and granted they got aresholed out of the finals two years in a row, but the whinging and bleating of 'refs fault' or whatever it may be that's come out of him in recent years has put a lot of people offside. Especially because he is such a good player he comes across as expecting the game to bend to his will and blows up when it doesn't.

You never saw Locky or even Cam Smith doing shit like that. Green becoming his coach has only amplified it because he's just as bad and made Thurston worse

One year imo. The final they lost to Manly was atrociously reffed and they had every right to bitch about that one but I am sick to death about hearing about that 7 tackle try. It happened in the 9th minute or something, they had 70 minutes to come back from that one. In literally 75% of games there is a poor ref's decision that leads to points being scored but Cow players and supporters would try to have you believe that the 7 tackle try is one of the only times in the history of RL that a poor decision has led to points. It's not like it happened right at the death, one of the biggest beat-ups I have seen and still to this day it gets carried on about.

but I am sick to death about hearing about that 7 tackle try. It happened in the 9th minute or something, they had 70 minutes to come back from that one.

They also scored an illegal try themselves after JT stuck the foot out and tripped Gallen which denied him a chance to regather the ball and as a direct result of that, Taumalolo picks up the ball and scores.

And let's not forget that Linnett had a golden opportunity to score the match-winning try in the final play of the game but he fucked up and didn't keep his feet in the air. He blew it.

I think the 7th tackle try is such a sore point because it's indisputable - the ref didn't subjectively get it wrong, they 100% ballsed it up. You can't say it cost them the game, but you can guarantee it changed things.

Having said that - living in NQ, I see a client of mine (Broncos supporter) changing a Cowboys supporters computer login name to "CowSooks", and I don't really have a problem with it.

And let's not forget that Linnett had a golden opportunity to score the match-winning try in the final play of the game but he fucked up and didn't keep his feet in the air. He blew it.

That guy loves trying to lose them games. Almost did in the GF from memory too

One year imo. The final they lost to Manly was atrociously reffed and they had every right to bitch about that one but I am sick to death about hearing about that 7 tackle try. It happened in the 9th minute or something, they had 70 minutes to come back from that one. In literally 75% of games there is a poor ref's decision that leads to points being scored but Cow players and supporters would try to have you believe that the 7 tackle try is one of the only times in the history of RL that a poor decision has led to points. It's not like it happened right at the death, one of the biggest beat-ups I have seen and still to this day it gets carried on about.

Fair enough. I honestly didn't even watch that game and just knew the 7 tackle thing happened at some point.

I think the 7th tackle try is such a sore point because it's indisputable - the ref didn't subjectively get it wrong, they 100% ballsed it up. You can't say it cost them the game, but you can guarantee it changed things.

Having said that - living in NQ, I see a client of mine (Broncos supporter) changing a Cowboys supporters computer login name to "CowSooks", and I don't really have a problem with it.

No different to the hundreds of other indisputables that have happened every year to every team. We were similarly robbed in 2008 when Slater prevented the match-winning try to Hannant by illegally leading with his boots.

The Cows were robbed once. Everything else has been bullshit media pressure designed to make everyone feel sorry for JT because he's never been able to lead the Cowboys to the premiership despite being "the best player in the world". And it worked. Handed to him on a platter during the final episode of the 2015 season of the hit reality TV show "NRL - History Being Made".

Morkel said:
We were similarly robbed in 2008 when Slater prevented the match-winning try to Hannant by illegally leading with his boots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the rule only come in after the 2008 Grand Final? Everyone applauded Slater for stopping Brisbane, but then when they saw how harmful it could be they decided to outlaw it from the game.

Were the Cowboys even robbed in 2012? As bad as the Foran decision was, the game was practically over ahead of time. It was just the salt in the wound and the Cowboys decided to focus on that instead of their lackluster defence and lack of intent with the footy. The real killer for them was with around 15 to go and Tate decided to dummy and go himself instead of putting Graham over in the corner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the rule only come in after the 2008 Grand Final? Everyone applauded Slater for stopping Brisbane, but then when they saw how harmful it could be they decided to outlaw it from the game.

Were the Cowboys even robbed in 2012? As bad as the Foran decision was, the game was practically over ahead of time. It was just the salt in the wound and the Cowboys decided to focus on that instead of their lackluster defence and lack of intent with the footy. The real killer for them was with around 15 to go and Tate decided to dummy and go himself instead of putting Graham over in the corner.

It must have been before that that the Slater rule was brought in because I was raging about it as it unfolded.

He broke a lot of hearts and hymens in Toowoomba as a lad. I know a couple of the lasses well.
lol

ah well, most young people do silly things, it's just a higher profile will always ensure it comes out either due to someone wanting their 15mins of fame or wanting to denigrate their name for their own purposes.

what's important now is that he's seemingly curbed his ways and is a good ambassador for the game, we need more of them, lets not cut down the ones have currently.

lol

ah well, most young people do silly things, it's just a higher profile will always ensure it comes out either due to someone wanting their 15mins of fame or wanting to denigrate their name for their own purposes.

what's important now is that he's seemingly curbed his ways and is a good ambassador for the game, we need more of them, lets not cut down the ones have currently.

Or a yarn with the Late Great Graham Murray. He told us some things...

Nothing denigrating about wooing the sheilas as a lad as we all tried our darnedest. Some just had more luck than others.

Which is weird because he's kind of a big eared goofy looking dude (especially when he was younger) - I think chicks like him better with the headgear on.

Which is weird because he's kind of a big eared goofy looking dude (especially when he was younger) - I think chicks like him better with the headgear on.
You should have seen him as a 13 year old! Neck was twice as long and ears were twice as big.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • broncs30
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Browny
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • Manlyman
  • Redux
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Skyblues87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.