NEWS Gillett awaits neck fracture clearance

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Gillettm 18030899

Brisbane’s Matt Gillett awaiting clearance on next fracture before returning to full training

October 22, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it really is reassuring to know that we have signed him up to a multi-year contract, worth god knows how much, and he is still not guaranteed of getting full clearance to even begin training again, let alone playing!

I wish him all the best but it's gotta be a risk surely when he might only be one awkward tackle away from a career-ending injury.

Last edited:
Well it really is reassuring to know that we have signed him up to a multi-year contract, worth god knows how much, and he is still not guaranteed of getting full clearance to even begin training again, let alone playing!

I wish him all the best but it's gotta be a risk surely when he might only be one awkward tackle away from a career-ending injury.

I thought contracts get covered when serious injuries are involved and forced retirement.

I thought contracts get covered when serious injuries are involved and forced retirement.

Maybe they do mate I'm not sure to be honest. I hope there is some kind of clause to that effect. I hope it all goes well for him as it just seems like such a risky injury to even contemplate going back to a tough, full contact sport like league. I'd be freaked out playing again after any kind of neck injury like his.

He still has the same risk even without the neck injury.

Fractured bones heal and they don't become weaker after a fracture. Once the bone heals, he'll be all good and he'll be back to tackling like nothing even happened.

The only concern is the mental side of it, but he's a tough player physically and mentally. I don't see it hurting us.

Iirc, wasn’t his an option in his favour? Did he activate that post-injury? Or was I being misled by media articles making it seem that way?

Could be problematic if it happens to be true

Not for a pre-existing injury, and IIRC Gillett’s new deal was done post-injury while he was rehabbing.

I dont think he will play again.

Did we only make the decision in August that he wasn't going to play again this season? If it was earlier, why did we wait to put him under for this shoulder?

I mean it's great he's back, but yet again, it's another one of our big players coming into the new season with **** all match fitness. Every fucking season.

Did we only make the decision in August that he wasn't going to play again this season? If it was earlier, why did we wait to put him under for this shoulder?

I mean it's great he's back, but yet again, it's another one of our big players coming into the new season with **** all match fitness. Every fucking season.

"The shoulder has been an ongoing issue for Matt for the last couple of months," said Broncos' High Performance Manager Jeremy Hickmans.

"We had to wait and see what was happening with his neck injury, as obviously that was the priority.

"When it became apparent he was not going to play again this season, we sent him for a scan on his shoulder.

"From that scan the decision has been made to go ahead with the shoulder surgery.

"If all goes as expected with his recovery, we would hope to see Matt back on the field during next year's trial match period."

"The shoulder has been an ongoing issue for Matt for the last couple of months," said Broncos' High Performance Manager Jeremy Hickmans.

"We had to wait and see what was happening with his neck injury, as obviously that was the priority.

"When it became apparent he was not going to play again this season, we sent him for a scan on his shoulder.

"From that scan the decision has been made to go ahead with the shoulder surgery.

"If all goes as expected with his recovery, we would hope to see Matt back on the field during next year's trial match period."
I thought that might be the case - still annoyed he'll have very little fitness before our first match.

Fitness training starts Nov.
Massive difference between general and match fitness - I could be wrong but I thought I read recently he'd only get the last trial match in.

Honestly this is starting to sound more and more like a dodgy insurance job. Would be shocked if he saw out the 4 year contract. I mean, I hope he comes back fit and firing and in his 2015/16 form but i'm not confident. Seems a huge risk on the club's behalf as if he isn't medically retired, we could potentially be paying top dollar for a reserve grader...

Massive difference between general and match fitness - I could be wrong but I thought I read recently he'd only get the last trial match in.
who has match fitness at that time of the year?

who has match fitness at that time of the year?
players that have played the previous season? Like yeah they're not at peak match fitness but they've got a base to work off. Gillett does not.

Last edited:
Many of the big names generally only play one trial anyway.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Organix
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • westy316
  • TimWhatley
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.