NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Glenn: I still have a lot to prove at Broncos

Author
Joel GouldNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 5 Feb 2019, 12:01 PM via Email
Alex Glenn has declared he still has a lot to prove and is not going to give up his Brisbane back-row spot without a fight as he ensures he is at peak fitness for the start of the season.
The development of Andrew Fifita and Jaydn Su’A, plus the return of Test back-rower Matt Gillett, has intensified the race to play in the pack under new coach Anthony Seibold.
The 30-year-old Kiwi suffered a grade-two calf tear at the end of last season and missed the final-round match against Manly and the playoff against the Dragons.
A tightening of his calf at training several weeks ago ended a training session early but Glenn said he was on track to play the trials with Wynnum-Manly and the Gold Coast.
"It is not ideal that I’ve got to manage this calf coming back from injury but off the field it makes me want to do more recovery so I can be doing every single drill at training," Glenn said.
"When I see Dave [Fifita] working hard every day it makes me want to push myself to the limit as well. The 20 and 21 year-olds coming through are strong and powerful. I’m not going to give up my spot easily.

"I’ve still got a lot to prove. I’ve still got a lot in the tank and I am just making sure I am doing everything in my power to do everything asked of me at training every single day."
The 238-game veteran, a permanent fixture in Broncos sides for the last decade, said he was "devastated" to miss the end of last season and was training smarter to ensure no repeat of the calf injury.
"It is one of those things they say is the ‘old man’ injury. I’ve just got to cop it now. I’m 30 and… making sure I'm still doing the quality of work but still managing my reloads, accelerations and decelerations so that come round one it is fully repaired and all the scar tissue is gone," he said.
"It is a long season and I don’t want to be a hero trying to push through it at training now. The go-time is when round one comes against the Storm.
"I think I am going to play some minutes at Wynnum to get some game conditioning behind me for my calf, maybe 20 or 40 minutes maximum, and then get stuck into the Titans after that.
"I have been here for a long time and I know I am not just going to get my jersey handed to me. It is about my fundamentals and how I attack training every single day.”
Glenn said the Broncos' training had the side prepared to be more ruthless in the final 20 minutes of matches.
"Last year when the games were on the line and there was a lot of pressure on us, whether we were chasing points or trying to hold the lead, I think we crumbled a few times," Glenn said.
"That is where we are improving and the way we have been training, where you see the scoreboards and the game scenarios, it is helping us deal with that pressure mentally and physically to make sure we are at our best in that crucial period."

Source: NRL.com.

Say what you like about Glenn and if he is past it or not, but I think you would have to go a long way to find a more dedicated, loyal, hard-working, consistent and ultra professional player than this bloke. He just seems to ooze class and professionalism and he really epitomises what being a bronco is all about in my opinion. Would love for him to finish up a one-club player for us if at all possible.

Last edited:
Say what you like about Glenn and if he is past it or not, but I think you would have to go a long way to find a more dedicated, loyal, hard-working, consistent and ultra professional player than this bloke. He just seems to ooze class and professionalism and he really epitomises what being a bronco is all about in my opinion. Would love for him to finish up a one-club player for us if at all possible.

You've fucking nailed it there, Faithy.

Any predictions for '19 mate?

When Alex is playing at his best he's possibly in the top three back rowers at the club. If Su'a has fully recovered from his ankle break he will be pushing for his spot this year.

absolutely he is good enough to make our 17 ... he is in the top 3 backrowers at the club, as of this minute

Then that is a sad state of affairs for us. Glenn is an honest toiler. A superstar he is not. The fact that we as a club have put our faith in toilers for so long, is directly reflected in the number of premierships we have won in that time...

Then that is a sad state of affairs for us. Glenn is an honest toiler. A superstar he is not. The fact that we as a club have put our faith in toilers for so long, is directly reflected in the number of premierships we have won in that time...
Yeah we need more superstars like Mitch Aubusson, Dale Finucane, Matt Prior, Ethan Lowe, Dave Tyrrell, Sam Moa, Bryan Norrie, Matt Ballin, Michael Weyman, Dallas Johnson, Glenn Hall and Clint Newton.

If NOTHING else he is a great example to our younger forwards to make them the professionals they need to be to be what the Broncos SHOULD be

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Foordy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mustafur
  • jd87
  • Stix
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.