OFFICIAL Glenn Retains Captaincy for 2021

Finbar

Finbar

QCup Player
May 21, 2018

Glenn Retains Captaincy for 2021​

broncos.com.au
Fri 26 Feb 2021, 11:13 AM

Highly decorated backrower Alex Glenn will be Captain of the Brisbane Broncos again this season.

Broncos Coach Kevin Walters announced Glenn’s retention as skipper for 2021 ahead of the 267-game veteran’s Testimonial Game tomorrow night against the Cowboys at Dolphin Stadium.

Glenn, entering his 13th year with the Broncos and a winner of the club’s Most Consistent Player Award for a record five times, said he was honoured to have the “C” beside his name for another season.

“It’s something I love – I feel like I didn’t really get the opportunity last year because I was injury-prone but I’m really grateful to be given another opportunity to lead this great club,” he said.

“I’m going to help our team get the best results week-in, week-out and help my teammates be the best they can both on and off the field.

“I look at the captains who have led this club in the past and they are legends of the game – I don’t consider myself in their league but I just want to do everyone proud and lead by example on the field, that’s where I do my best work as captain.”

Walters said on Glenn: “Alex was Captain under trying circumstances last year and I think he did a great job – he has the experience and he has been a consistent player for the Broncos over a long period of time.

“He is one of our most experienced players and he understands what being a Broncos is about, and wearing that jersey and leading that team.
“We want all of our senior players and everyone who pulls that Broncos jersey to show the qualities that a real Broncos player shows, just like Alex Glenn does every game he plays.”

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/02/26/glenn-retains-captaincy-for-2021/

The only choice for now, until Smith takes over.

At least he understands he isn't in the same league as other captains, hopefully he will fully rely on others to help him out.

The only choice for now, until Smith takes over.
This must put the Smith rumour to bed. No way if it was a chance, Kev would embarrass himself and Lexi like this publicly. Unless of course Smith isn’t interested in being the captain.

I think the likely outcome is Smith has retired unannounced.

Good luck to Lexi. It’s the uninspired but ultimately right choice. It’ll give Kev a year to earmark a long term option.

If everyone else at the club has been given the opportunity to either remain in the same capacity or right the wrongs from last season (except the coach) then why shouldn't he?

You know leadership at the club is severely lacking when Glenn keeps the captaincy. I thought last year he was an embarrassment, from chiding fans who were being critical of the club, to crying on the field after a loss (the week after copping criticism for not hurting enough, no less). I think a captain needs to be a little more stoic than Glenn has proven to be.

Last edited:
These captaincy stocks are right up there with the Kurt Gidley era of mediocrity for NSW.

I think '92 would rival it, Alf got the job with only 58 games for the Broncos but who else could you pick? Kevvie was 96 NRL games but really it was pretty slim.

Gillmeister maybe but he would have been a short term option.

I think '92 would rival it, Alf got the job with only 58 games for the Broncos but who else could you pick? Kevvie was 96 NRL games but really it was pretty slim.

Gillmeister maybe but he would have been a short term option.
Langer was one of the best players in his position at the time and a regular for both Qld and the Kangaroos and being in his mid twenties was a long term option at captain.

Glenn has struggled to command a starting spot in the team in recent seasons and was almost out the door to Penrith with little fight to keep him at the club.

Not sure one of the best players in the game at the time vs. a guy in his twilight year(s) the club would have just shrugged their shoulders if he left is very comparable?

Not sure what I think about this. In a lot of ways he is the only guy in the squad with both time in the game and the experience being a captain. But in others he has been down on form and getting older. It makes dropping him onto the bench harder if he is not up to it on the field this year. I hope for his and our sake he puts in and stops the bs like pulling peoples dacks down on the training paddock, that is not leadership it's buffoonery.

Langer was one of the best players in his position at the time and a regular for both Qld and the Kangaroos and being in his mid twenties was a long term option at captain.

Glenn has struggled to command a starting spot in the team in recent seasons and was almost out the door to Penrith with little fight to keep him at the club.

Not sure one of the best players in the game at the time vs. a guy in his twilight year(s) the club would have just shrugged their shoulders if he left is very comparable?

The point wasn’t a comparison of Glenn and Alf. I was suggesting the times and choices of leadership were pretty low in 1992 as well. I would say just as low as now.

Alf had just avoided being dropped the season before and lost his Australian spot not long before too.

Shades of Alex Glenn here from Vunivalu in his Reds' debut:

Except Glenn pulled it off:

That’s awesome from Lexi but it would’ve been next level if it happened off a kickoff like Vunivalu almost did.

"retains captaincy"

We had four captains last year!

Brodie Croft (9)
Alex Glenn (7)
Patrick Carrigan (3)
Joseph Ofahengaue (3)

Alex Glenn was the official captain.

When Langer, Tallis, Lockyer etc were injured they never lost the captaincy. there was just a fill in until they returned.

in this case a new coach has come in and decided to retain the official 2020 captain.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.