Gordon Tallis is a knob ........

What actually happened between him and Bennett?

Does anyone know for sure? Was it ever revealed?

Or is just more bullshit.

Tallis wanted to retire earlier and Bennett talked him into playing on another season, and then he benches him. Tallis has been pissed ever since.

Tallis blames Bennett for the way his career ended.

Really?

I thought he had reaggravated his neck injury in 2004. Could've just been playing it safe.

Still that's a long time to be salty.

I thought Tallis was on record saying this. Final game, in his home town, benched.

I'm sure there is more to it.

I thought Tallis was on record saying this. Final game, in his home town, benched.

I'm sure there is more to it.

Oh yeah I'm sure it goes way deeper than that. Tallis and Bennett come across to me as two personalities that are bound to clash.

I think Tallis likes the idea of people seeing him as a stand up guy who tells it as it is. So to do that he hits out at his old club, it also helps that he has a chip on his shoulder about Wayne. The thing is like this time he is pointing the finger at the wrong team. We have the quickest ruck in the league, this has often been a real detriment to us over tge years. The fingers should be pointed as far south as league currently goes. What goes on at Melbourne is a disgrace and if the media did not idolize bellyache they would point it out more.

A former captain and legend of the this that constantly bags it and tries to debatablise it means a fair bit to me. Not one person has questioned him as a player so why you keep saying this is beyond me. I’m glad it means nothing to you but it means plenty to me and from what I can see it means something to others too.

Oh, and the fact that Triple M and Fox pay him means nothing. These are the same halfwits that pay Buzz Rothfield et al so it shows where there standards are.
I think you will find that IBM questioned him as a player on an earler thread tonight.

Tallis is a fkin tool that bags the Broncos every chance he gets. Fk you Tallis. Get a real job!

Well I met the bloke one day at Indro - he couldn’t have been nicer to a complete stranger or any more accommodating of his time.

I also agree with @Accept; I remember him fondly because of everything he did for the Broncos jersey.

Sure, some of the things he says in the media reek of an agenda against Brisbane but most likely mainly Bennett. But he’s abrasive in everything he says, he speaks his mind. That’s how he was when he played for the Dragons and Brisbane, that’s how he is now.

I bet few or none of you were criticising him when his strong character and stubbornness led him to sit out an entire season before coming to the Broncos.

That same character is what makes him say what he says in the media now.

Take the good with the bad I say. If you don’t like it, don’t listen to it. We all sit on this forum and voice our opinions and think we’re entitled to it. I guess the difference is, he has earnt the right to voice his through his indisputable sacrifice for the jersey.

Well I met the bloke one day at Indro - he couldn’t have been nicer to a complete stranger or any more accommodating of his time.

I also agree with @Accept; I remember him fondly because of everything he did for the Broncos jersey.

Sure, some of the things he says in the media reek of an agenda against Brisbane but most likely mainly Bennett. But he’s abrasive in everything he says, he speaks his mind. That’s how he was when he played for the Dragons and Brisbane, that’s how he is now.

I bet few or none of you were criticising him when his strong character and stubbornness led him to sit out an entire season before coming to the Broncos.

Take the good with the bad I say. If you don’t like it, don’t listen to it. We all sit on this forum and voice our opinions and think we’re entitled to it. I guess the difference is, he has earnt the right to voice his through his indisputable sacrifice for the jersey.

I'm glad he was nice to you and I will always be appreciative of what he did in his planning days, but I will not sit back and applaud him actively rallying against my club, the club that used to be his club. He is an ambassador for the fucking Titans for christs sake, how fucking ridiculous.

You are right everyone is entitled to their opinion which is while I will keep sharing mine. As for him being a nice guy when you ran into him in public, I had a very very different experience. The literal definition of why you shouldn't meet your heroes.

**** Tallis.

I'm glad he was nice to you and I will always be appreciative of what he did in his planning days, but I will not sit back and applaud him actively rallying against my club, the club that used to be his club. He is an ambassador for the fucking Titans for christs sake, how fucking ridiculous.

You are right everyone is entitled to their opinion which is while I will keep sharing mine. As for him being a nice guy when you ran into him in public, I had a very very different experience. The literal definition of why you shouldn't meet your heroes.

**** Tallis.
Who said anything about applauding him? I said to ignore it.

That aside, what I am interested to know is your thoughts on Wally Lewis?

Don’t let his achievements and status in the game fool you; he was incredibly bitter at being punted from the Broncos and for a long time he sunk the boot into the Broncos and Bennett at every opportunity he could. He still does, granted it’s less often.

Only difference was, he didn’t have the forum and exposure back then that Tallis has now.

So it stands to reason, I expect you hate Lewis too?

Last edited:
My only problem is him going down the road and being ambassador for a club he never played for that's in direct competition with the club where he is considered a legend. Would a Souths player be an ambassador for the roosters? I would accept if he was coaching like at South's but to be an Ambassador really is pretty ordinary. Money talks I guess. I will say I think he is pretty astute judge of the game he just doesn't look the part. Sure he has a beef with Bennett but he isn't alone there.He just is prominent in the media. He also gives Bennett his dues in certain areas and says he is the best coach he had. Braith Anasta is much worse. Horrible commentator and so biased towards former player mates. It's clear that the fox guys have been told to be more opinionated and it isn't for the better. The fox fox sports shows have gone backwards this year.

Who said anything about applauding him? I said to ignore it.

That aside, what I am interested to know is your thoughts on Wally Lewis?

Don’t let his achievements and status in the game fool you; he was incredibly bitter at being punted from the Broncos and for a long time he sunk the boot into the Broncos and Bennett at every opportunity he could. He still does, granted it’s less often.

Only difference was, he didn’t have the forum and exposure back then that Tallis has now.

So it stands to reason, I expect you hate Lewis too?

I have not seen anywhere near the hate from Lewis, FFS he used to cheer in the commentary box for us when he commentated us.

If you can show me evidence of Lewis actively campaigning against the Broncos, running agendas to try and bring the team down and being an ambassador for one of our main rivals I will change my stance on him.

Tallis definitely has a deep seated dislike for Bennett. When he was on the Cowboys board he cost Wayne the opportunity to coach there after his split from the Broncos.

You don't sabotage someone like that unless you really don't like them.

Have heard conflicting stories of how he is from several broncos fans irl.

I guess you just have to catch him in the right mood on the right day.

Fwiw, he was great when I met him. Saw him at a bottleshop. It was a while ago - I think he was still playing. Can't remember if he was doing a promotion or was just out and about.

He signed a football and took a photo.

Great guy.

Have heard conflicting stories of how he is from several broncos fans irl.

I guess you just have to catch him in the right mood on the right day.

Fwiw, he was great when I met him. Saw him at a bottleshop. It was a while ago - I think he was still playing. Can't remember if he was doing a promotion or was just out and about.

He signed a football and took a photo.

Great guy.
This is an incredibly valid point.

You catch just about anyone on an off day and they’ll likely be an asshole.

Over the years I met Webcke, he was just downright rude. Same for Barry Berrigan, a young Karmichael and Nick Kenny. In another sport, Ian Healy was just nasty at a fan-day.

But I also met Shaun Berrigan, Peter Wallace and Craig Frawley. All really nice, but particularly Frawley and Wallace.

Can’t recall any others at the moment, so I’d guess they were fine too if I don’t recall anything in particular.

The "strong character" he showed when sitting out a year was at least a decision made with genuine motivations.

The "strong character" he shows now is merely spouting bullshit in order to buddy up to the Sydney-centric media and to generate faux outrage.

The definition of a sellout. To be fair, I would respect him more if he came out and said "I don't like Bennett and that's why I slag him off", because at least he'd be being honest. At the moment it's schoolgirl gossip dressed up as truth.

I think the funniest thing about Tallis being an ambassador at the Titans is trying to work out what he actually does to promote the club?

From all reports he is hardly ever around the club (especially as he is busy and more concerned with his media commitments), pretends to know the ins and outs of the club yet if asked on the spot would struggle to tell you their top 20 squad members, the players have **** all to do with him and I don’t think I have ever seen him promote tickets to games or flogging off season memberships.

Besides trying to talk up Ash Taylor for Origin 3, and the occasional ‘Go Titans’ when he is speaking on Triple M, I think bagging the Broncos is the only thing he ever does of benefit to the job of ‘Titans Ambassador’. He honestly wouldn’t even give 2 flying ***** if the Titans folded tomorrow except if he stopped getting paid.

The minute Bennett stops coaching the Broncos and Titans stop paying him he will be straight back on the Brisbane bandwagon.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Astro
  • Hurrijo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Cavalo
  • Mustafur
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • bazza
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.