Graham Murray should go?

A

ALH

QCup Player
Mar 7, 2008
I think Muzza should just step aside or the board should just sack him and put Millward in charge.

The Ch9 cameras went into the the NQ sheds and he & Millward were talking to JT, well Millward did all the talking, whilst Murray was looking into his notebook. From the body language it was obvious JT has no respect for Muzza.

Plus from their performances the players aren't putting in and aren't responding to the coach.

Thoughts?

If Millward is going to get the Job next year, he may as well just take over now.

Yep, Murray has to go ASAP.

If Millward is a genuine chance to take over next year they should use him this year as a trial.

You couldn't expect much more telling the coach before the season even starts that no matter what happens this season he is gone. His heart won't really be in it and the players won't really care what he thinks about them because he's not going to be there next year.

But I don't think that Milwood will be the coach next year, hence why they haven't appointed him already (that plus, they probably don't have the moola to pay out Murray's contract).

Well, hes not that great of a coach, i think muray should go sooner rather than later

I think he needs a chance to explain himself, so we can see who's actually at fault.

I will not believe for one second that Graham Murray is to blame for their lack of wins. Watching Thurston, Bowen and the teams forwards last night, and last weekend, I would be sitting them down and asking for a please explain.

I'll use last night in my examples:

How many times did they threaten the line, and instead of kicking out wide to a runner, trying to do stupid tricky passes and having a forward run at the line yet again?

I can understand trying to break us a couple of times that way, but they did it all night. Not oly did it get predictable as hell, they should have realised in the first 20 minutes last night to change 5th tackle tactics.

Thurston needs a good kick in the arse for his role in last nights game. And I certainly hope after seeing him last night, he has a god damned haircut, and is not on the receiving end of an origin jersey this year. Scott Prince has done a far better job this year, and towards the end of last year.

Bowen was the same. Either pass it back to Thurston, who would pass to a forward. Dumb un-threatening football.

Like I said, I find it cery hard to believe that a professional coach like Graham Murray would be telling his team to be so stupid, and not telling them to try another plan at halftime, or during the game.

It's the coach who must decide how they play and it's up to the players to go out and execute it, they looked like they had no game plan at all and were running around like they were lost.
Looking at the cowboys roster, i think Murray definitly must go, the fact they have spent about 1.5-2mil on carl webb, luke odonnell, Jonathon Thurston and mat bowen, and have not enough money left to buy some decent out side backs and a couple of decent forwards, there line up on paper is horrible, carl webb is way to over-rated and luke odonell is too inconsistent, yet they splur all there money of a few stars leaving the rest of lineup alot to desire, there centres and wingers yesterday errrrrr everyone of them was a no name or a severely under performing player(ty williams). The coach must know how to recruit and spend his money wisely these days as their is a salary cap involved. Brian smith made the hard decisions and axed many players from new castle and brought in new players and now they are 2/3 which is pretty good.

The broncos outside back aren't paid that much, but they perform greatly, thanks alot to WB we have always had a competitive team and a team that always performs and has a game plan.

I think murray has had his time, Great fellow, but his time is up. Just like players get sacked and questioned so must a coach.

The Rock said:
Nashy, I see your point, but at the end of the day, if the players do not feel comfortable being coached by Graham Murray then it's his fault, not the players. If the players lack confidence in Murray then they're obviously not going to be 100% committed, and it shows on the field.

It's like in any job really. We had this supervisor at work who we basically lost faith and trust in, his work ethic dropped and a few others things as well. The next few months we became less committed to our work, we were less inspired to come to work and we probably lacked a the effort too. We've got a new supervisor now, and our team has done a complete 360 and everyone is back into again.

See what I am saying?

Sure, if you've got a job to do then you should be 100% committed and show some pride, but that's just easier said than done sometimes.

Understand completely. Don't get me wrong, I think he needs to go. But I'm not a big fan of jumping without hearing him out publicly. Especially with a coach who has done pretty well with his team in the past.

If he was failing like Brown, then fine, go nuts, get rid of him.

I would like to know what's changed at the Cowboys to cause this.

JT was the most upset about the firing of Murray and he's not repaying his coach. Anymore performances like that and prince will get the job for SOO.

But like every1 has said in the media, poor form by the Cowboys commitee.

Prince should of always been in for SOO and AUS, he is better IMO, everytime they meet PRINCE>JT

I'm thinking people tend to forget that the Cowboys have players who havn't hit their straps yet after having spent so much time in the off season having ops,recovering from injuries that they took the field with at the end of the season but played on not to mention some young guys just breaking into the team.JT was pumping in the big ones the other night,Bowen is so out of form which he has carried on from last year(he will be back)Oddonell (sp)has just returned after almost never being able to walk again or even worse almost died.Time :!:
I wouldn't write them off just yet. [icon_wink

Personally I don't think it's a happy place at the moment.Supporters are going off the brain and don't want anyone else as their coach(I am talking the whole town here)Murray is writing in papers how he spoke to JT the wonder boy and asked if the players like him.
WB has handled it so very differantly and how many times do we see Henjak doing our talking and not WB so wouldn,t take too much into what went on in a player interviewed in the dressing room and the coach not standing by.

Anyone read Shane Webckes column in the Townsville paper which was put into the Courier Mail?He says WB would love to go up there but the public just don,t want him and he doesn,t want to step on toes.Their press is being bombarded over what has happened to Murray.
SILLY SILLY people not wanting WB [icon_non

Sorry I don't totally agree with you there, cowboys are destined for failure. When a coach is told at the start of the year YOUR GONE! without even having a chance to prove himself all of a sudden the players think, well hey even if we don't perform it doesn't matter everyone will just come out and blame the coach for us not playing so well, this immediately has an impact on the team, whereas the broncos for example WB said that he was going, (not told he was gone) so the players instead of thinking ah they will just blame the coach, they instead think well WB is going lets go out and make him have the best last year at the joint.

To be honest, I think its just poor handling by the cowboys management, imagine at your job, the boss said your supervisor hasn't been performing hes getting sacked next month. All of a sudden everyone in that office is like scrap it and won't work to their potential.

I think Graham Murray is better than that. He's in the paper this morning stating the complete opposite, which is of course understandable. I think he's a good enough coach to trust on this, he's not going to give up.

He still has the full backing of the club, and that's a big thing when it comes to getting the sack. Good luck to him for the year, I hope he can prove them wrong.

Of course it,s bad management by the Cowboys.I said at the beginning of the year that they were not a happy lot even before Murray got the boot.
Still have to take into account the fitness and match play some players have had in their team.
Annoys me when people write off teams so early in the season. [icon_non

If it is causing big problems in the camp then Murray should have told them to shove their job when he got the sack and left them with his assistant to carry on.Just as Smith did when Parra buggered him off.

Murray has been on the outer for several years.

But honestly, Murray has been treated so unfairly, he has been the best thing that happened to the cowboys. Before Murray broncos used to go down and smash the cowboys 60 - 0 every time they met, Murray took control, they made the top 4 in 04 GF in 05, missed slightly in 06 and top 4 in 07. He has been really good for the cowboys, he turned it from a rubbish walk over club to a club that is genuinely competitive, he should have been treated better that to just say we don't want you next year.

If i was Murray I'd say give me my pay I'm leaving let the assistant coach take over. Coaches should stop always getting the blame and players should start looking at them selves, I don't understand why it's always the coach that gets blamed for when a team goes bad.

Funny lot up there in Townsville. eusa_think
The same thing happened to Sheens and he built that team up.The same stories on players not liking him were going around then.
Speaking to a Mum of a Cowboy player at the Broncs leagues club at the time and she said the players loved Sheens and were really upset when he got shown the door.

Yeah I know Sheens didnt get them into a semi but he did the hard yards with the team he had to start with and showed them the white chalk really wasnt going to poison them

Kee said:
Funny lot up there in Townsville. eusa_think
The same thing happened to Sheens and he built that team up.The same stories on players not liking him were going around then.
Speaking to a Mum of a Cowboy player at the Broncs leagues club at the time and she said the players loved Sheens and were really upset when he got shown the door.

Yeah I know Sheens didnt get them into a semi but he did the hard yards with the team he had to start with and showed them the white chalk really wasnt going to poison them

From living in Townsville for a few years most Cowboys supporters seem to have a vastly different opinion of Sheens Kee - they say he was never at training (apparently he lived on Magnetic Island and Super League chartered a helicopter for him to get to training) and was almost a ghost around the club - content to just show up on game days and collect his oversized pay packets from Uncle Rupert. Most Townsville people credit Sheens for getting them in the bad spots they have been in over the years.

On the current situation with the Cowboys - rumour has it Thurston is running the show at the moment with Murray on the sidelines - Thurston was "Visibly upset" when Murray got the boot - come on JT give us some credit - he does not rate Murray and cannot wait for him to go is what I hear from NQ.

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jazza
  • Alec
  • Volvo Driver
  • Painin the Haas
  • Johnny92
  • The Strapper
  • Bish
  • Mister Wright
  • BroncosAlways
  • Lurker
  • azza.79
  • bazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.