Grand Final

My concern with the head knock rule, is it's basically a free interchange.

maybe what they need is an independent doctor/trainer to be able to make a determination on the extent of the head knock, and if that doctor/trainer determines that they player was sent off for a concussion test as a way of getting a free interchange then that team loses an interchange anyway.

If they aren't doing that already, I don't see why they still aren't.

Surely the NRL are smart enough to realize that teams would exploit the rule to get a couple of free interchanges.

For those who were watching on TV did Lewis deserve the Clive Churchill medal? He did have a good game but I thought Maloney and Fifita would've been up there and would've been good choices.

For those who were watching on TV did Lewis deserve the Clive Churchill medal? He did have a good game but I thought Maloney and Fifita would've been up there and would've been good choices.

I thought Maloney was better but was happy with Lewis. Fifita was probably the best on ground but could have scored a hat trick of 100m tries to win the game and the NRL still wouldn't have given it to him. He has to front up for a punishment now the season is over I thought?

If Maloney set up a try or score one himself he would have won Clive Churchill for sure. I would have made some sweet cash too.

I saw a few knock ons playing the ball and a few forward passes last night not pulled up

Did Fifita play the ball with his foot once in 2016?

Lewis was a worthy CC medalist, had a great game.

IMO: Fifita should have gotten it, but because of all the shit about his friend Kieran Loveridge, he didn't get the Clive Churchill medal.

Fifita was head and shoulders the best player on the field.

Everytime he touched the ball, you just felt as if something was about to happen. When the Sharks needed somebody to step up, it was Fifita. It was an easy choice and one of the greatest grand final performances from a prop forward.

While some of you maybe jumping at shadows in regards to the officiating, I'm glad that a few Channel 10 journos spoke up about how awful the presentation and commentary was.

When you base your entire presentation on how great it will be if the Sharks win...

...it seems very suss.

I'm not sure how the Fox presentation compares, hopefully it was a lot more neutral because the 9 presentation was very uncomfortable to sit through.

It started last week when Melbourne beat Canberra in a game they 'didn't deserve' to win and the entire build up seemed to be about the Sharks. Again, I find myself so frustrated with the competition and the coverage maybe on top of the billing.

Last edited:

Everytime he touched the ball, you just felt as if something was about to happen. When the Sharks needed somebody to step up, it was Fifita. It was an easy choice and one of the greatest grand final performances from a prop forward.

While some of you maybe jumping at shadows in regards to the officiating, I'm glad that a few Channel 10 journos spoke up about how awful the presentation and commentary was.

When you base your entire presentation on how great it will be if the Sharks win...

...it seems very suss.

I'm not sure how the Fox presentation compares, hopefully it was a lot more neutral because the 9 presentation was very uncomfortable to sit through.

It started last week when Melbourne beat Canberra in a game they 'didn't deserve' to win and the entire build up seemed to be about the Sharks. Again, I find myself so frustrated with the competition and the coverage maybe on top of the billing.
Yeah, maybe this is what a lot of people were feeling. I got suspect when Locky and Wally called the Sharks to win. Practically the whole commentary team called the Sharks to win before kickoff. It was the same during the whole season when certain comments were made regarding teams being vastly inferior or superior. I personally didn't see it that way at all a lot of the time. I was joking around before about all the dodgy being done. I don't really care who won the comp after Brisbane got knocked out. But the way the media commentary seems to dictate so much about the game really grinds my gears.

Last edited:

...it seems very suss.

It wasn't broadcast on Fox, it was a 9 exclusive.

However, it seems as though the game was also done live by Fox for the delayed replay. Warren Smith was the main caller with Alexander and Roach about the place. The commentary seemed pretty neutral and the reffing was pretty unobtrusive. In fact, aside from the ten metres the refs were pretty lenient both ways. I didn't think Melbourne were too bad nor the Sharks when it came to the rucks. The ref even overlooked a blatant sideways play the ball in order to keep things flowing.

Fifita was good but no better than Prior(Pryor?) who was enormous.

I haven't seen the stats from the game but Prior would've delivered something good. I thought he was excellent.

Stil seems the result was encouraged just as it was last year. You don't have to have a full blown conscious conspiracy to bias an outcome. You set interpretations of rules that favour one side, send a message about how good it would be for the game for the Sharks to win down the ranks, pick a lead ref who they haven't lost under in 2 years. If Broncos had a ref with that record ref a grand final it would not be taken in stride, Gus Gould would be complaining for half the game. People correctly or incorrectly and often unconsciously can be very good at reading between the lines to get the result the bosses and media want. I thought referees were way too loose on both sides. A short ten favours the Sharks big men in the long run. Also thought Sharks got away with murder in the ruck. At least when the Storm manipulate the ruck they are artful, the Sharks just lied there, crowded the ruck and put their hand all over the ball. Would love to see an independent review of officiating across the board. If NRL were smart would do it and sort their issues our before a massive class action or corruption enquiry given the exposure in sports betting.

Last edited:
Stil seems the result was encouraged just as it was last year. You don't have to have a full blown conscious conspiracy to bias an outcome. You set interpretations of rules that favour one side, send a message about how good it would be for the game for the Sharks to win down the ranks, pick a lead ref who they haven't lost under in 2 years. If Broncos had a ref with that record ref a grand final it would not be taken in stride, Gus Gould would be complaining for half the game. People correctly or incorrectly and often unconsciously can be very good at reading between the lines to get the result the bosses and media want. I thought referees were way too loose on both sides. A short ten favours the Sharks big men in the long run. Also thought Sharks got away with murder in the ruck. At least when the Storm manipulate the ruck they are artful, the Sharks just lied there, crowded the ruck and put their hand all over the ball. At the end of the day we all knew who was going to win and it wasn't because Sharks have been the best team all year. Would love to see an independent review of officiating across the board. If NRL were smart would do it and sort their issues our before a massive class action or corruption enquiry given the exposure in sports betting.
Ha ha ha....pick a ref that they haven't lost under in two years ! So to balance that you'd have to show how the Storm went under that ref and surprise surprise, they haven't lost under him either ! When you make your mind up before a balls kicked or a tackles made the nonsense quited above is the result. The Sharks smashed them up front from the outset and it had nothing to do with the refs. The Sharks set up the win in the first half and Bellamy admitted the Sharks were brilliant. If anyone was ever motivated to see a conspiracy from the NRL it would surely be Bellamy and he didn't have a problem with the refs. Blind hatred makes people irrational.

Glad it's over to be honest, couldn't have imagined two teams I would care less about in a grand final. Hopefully now the Sharks can re/begin their slide into failtown and the Storm's big three become just Smith after Slater fails to return and Cronk goes to Sydney for the $

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.