Granville Discussion

Re: McCullough vs Granville

What a silly discussion, Granville has done well in his few appearances, provides a nice spark out of dummy half, maybe slightly faster service, but in the overall scheme of things, McCullough has him easily covered.

One thing that people haven't even taken into consideration, McCullough is actually 12 months YOUNGER than Granville, younger, more experienced, unbelievably superior in defense, and improving year by year.

This shouldn't even be a thing, McCullough is better, and he'll be our hooker for the next 5 years or more, and I'd probably put a few bucks on him being the next Queensland hooker, I think within a few years he'll be higher on the pecking order than Friend.

Exactly right. Nobody is arguing that Granville should replace Macca. That's right, nobody.

We are just appreciating a different dimension that a different hooker brought to the game, whilst missing the wonderful elements of Macca.

Some are a little too precious and can't deal with rational, factual conversation, trying instead to turn it into an emotional argument..

This was never a rational, factual conversation. It was agenda driven by a certain poster, unless you honestly think that macca can not pass off the great and is three times slower in service than Granville

Ahhh. Ok, maybe I missed the agenda thing and that's what has confused me. From my perspective at least, this was not a versus thing or a negativity-driven go at Macca. The guy has proven his worth this year. Of course Macca can pass off the ground, but he is a tiny bit slower than the top rung. Speed of service is, of course, very desirable, but then so is iron-clad defence, a kicking game, combinations and a whole lot of mongrel that Macca brings.

Anyway, we are lucky to have such a talented back up hooker in Granville, and hopefully we see much more of him, but not at the expense of our hooker who is in career-best form atm.

Great post and I agree completely. Granville's speed can be a great asset. Ideally when making gets back Granville can cement a spot on the bench and come on in the last 15 minutes or so of each half against tired defence.

Yes macca can play 80 and Granville could be a waste of a bench spot. But when griffin consistently gives Wallace 7 minutes and Hala 13 while the other forwards are out on their feet, well the bench is already wasted anyway

The most important thing is, they both try their best and have a good time. Yay, for team sports!

I could be wrong but due to this discussion being pulled out of the Ben hunt thread, I imagine the thread title was made by a mod and not the original poster. Which makes it seem like you have to chose one player over the other instead of just comparing their attributes.

Granville has done a great job in Maccas absence and I'd be happy for him to play a bench hooker roll when Macca returns.

Macca is the better player, but we can't take away from the fact that Macca has been in the team for years, so it should go without saying that he's going to have a bit more NRL skill.

Granville will be another talented player that will leave the club due to having no space to put him in. It's a shame.

I think if he was given as many years as it's taken Macca to get to where he is, Granville would be a far better player.

This was never a rational, factual conversation. It was agenda driven by a certain poster, unless you honestly think that macca can not pass off the great and is three times slower in service than Granville

My only agenda is to see the Broncos be at their best. Some people like to think McCullough is perfect in every way, but there's a reason why the QLD selectors and other QLD fans prefer someone like Jake Friend as the next hooker.

I don't hate McCullough, if he works on that one area he could really be a true great.

Also I didn't come up with the thread title and have never once said Granville was a better player.

Last edited:

Macca is the better player, but we can't take away from the fact that Macca has been in the team for years, so it should go without saying that he's going to have a bit more NRL skill.

Granville will be another talented player that will leave the club due to having no space to put him in. It's a shame.

I think if he was given as many years as it's taken Macca to get to where he is, Granville would be a far better player.
Not likely
He would have had those years if he would have ended up far better.

For mine Granville should be on the bench and given a 15-20 minute burst as impact player. Whether we take Macca off or leave him on when Granville comes on is another matte.r

For mine Granville should be on the bench and given a 15-20 minute burst as impact player. Whether we take Macca off or leave him on when Granville comes on is another matte.r

I agree entirely. Macca can still play Hooker and still play 80 minutes. Granville can come on and play like a Lock role, or alternate some Hooker with Macca.

I agree with most people here.

Macca is a better overall player and has really lifted in the last season and a half. but watching Granville makes you realise how valuable it can be to have a hooker who gets in their and gets a quick pass out. he looked a bit rusty and threw a couple passes to ground but I thought there were some other occasions where we were in a dangerous attacking position because he moved the ball so much quicker than Macca ever does.

I hope we keep both in the 17 from now on

^^This^^

You could certainly see a difference in the dummy half work provided by Granville. He was quick and sharp and made quick metres to the line before passing. I think given time, the rest of the team could get used to Granville....I think they were a little caught out by how quick Granville was actually getting the ball to them.

I was also impressed with Granville's defence......anyway, he's our loss and the Cowboys gain. If McC is fit, I don't feel inclined to continue training Granville for the Cowboys NRL use.

I'm not an McCullough hater but this talk about his future greatness is waaay overstated. Yes he's improved this year, but his career for mine has been a 1 step forward, 2 steps back progression. What we get now, IMO is probably the best we'll see from A.McC....and it's still not ever going to be good enough to win us a premiership. .

Granville has had years, played 20's for the Broncos and been contracted to the Broncos and playing ISC.

Granville has had years, played 20's for the Broncos and been contracted to the Broncos and playing ISC.

But it's not NRL experience. Keeping the Broncos bench warm isn't building experience.

Granville's passing is quicker, but also lacks accuracy, from the passes going to ground to the passes going far too high (Hunt and others had to jump to catch the ball way too often), which ends up being less effective than Macca's passes.

Granville certainly deserves a bench spot, and can be extremely useful as an impact hooker against tiring defenses, but he'll never have the grunt, defense, kicking game or organising skills of Macca. The way our ruck has played in Macca's absence is telling of the huge difference between both players.

I'm not saying Granville isn't a talented player, but the only thing he has on Macca is speed.
He's a year older than Andrew, having been in the Broncos system all this time, as well as playing close to 80 minutes in the ISC for years, so no amount of "NRL experience" will ever make him better than Macca... that's just delusion or a way to feed the "McCullough isn't good enough" agenda.

Granville's passing is quicker, but also lacks accuracy, from the passes going to ground to the passes going far too high (Hunt and others had to jump to catch the ball way too often), which ends up being less effective than Macca's passes.

Granville certainly deserves a bench spot, and can be extremely useful as an impact hooker against tiring defenses, but he'll never have the grunt, defense, kicking game or organising skills of Macca. The way our ruck has played in Macca's absence is telling of the huge difference between both players.

I'm not saying Granville isn't a talented player, but the only thing he has on Macca is speed.
He's a year older than Andrew, having been in the Broncos system all this time, as well as playing close to 80 minutes in the ISC for years, so no amount of "NRL experience" will ever make him better than Macca... that's just delusion or a way to feed the "McCullough isn't good enough" agenda.

Exactly my thoughts

You should have read that as, as many years in NRL as Macca has.

You should have read that as, as many years in NRL as Macca has.

Why do your chances have to be NRL chances? 5 years of NYC and ISC with a handful of NRL games is chances. It's just like Gillett.

Why do your chances have to be NRL chances? 5 years of NYC and ISC with a handful of NRL games is chances. It's just like Gillett.

Because NYC and ISC isn't first grade. I know a lot of people like to think it's the same thing, especially those directly involved at that level. But it's a lower grade.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Jedhead
  • IceWorks
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ostin86
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bronx48
  • theshed
  • Bish
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.