Great Coaches

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
So I've been thinking about some of the great coaches in sport. I love studying about successful coaches, as their role can so quickly be forgotten or overlooked. So list those coaches you think are great or you just like them. Please no Rugby League coaches - branch out into other sports. I've got a fair few:

Percy Cerutty
Changed the face of training for distance running events in the 1950s and 60s. Pioneered a wholistic approach including natural diet, different and hard training (including running sand hills - thanks for that, not!), training off track, psychology, life philosophy and cross-training. His greatest successes came through Herb Elliot, but he also at various stages coached John Landy and Betty Cuthbert. Was also one of the first coaches to work accross sports assisting with cyclist Russell Mockridge and boxer Jimmy Carutthers

Ric Charlesworth
Awesome coach of the Australian Womens Hockey from 1993 to 2000, winning every major title. And currently coaching the Australian Mens Hockey (appointed in 2009) and has re-built them to once again be ranked the # 1 team in the world. Has also been involved in coaching the Indian hockey teams and was an advisor to the NZ cricket team for a while.

Forbes Carlile

Pioneering Aust swimming coach. Coaching the likes of Dawn Fraser, Shane Gould, Karen Moras, Gail Neall, John Davies, Terry Gathercole and Ian O'Brien. Head coach of Australian Swimming from 1948 - 1960. Head Coach of Dutch team at 1964 Olympics. Came back to coach Australia for 1973 World Champs. Was appointed for 1980 Moscow Olympics, but withdrew. His pioneering work on elite athlete training methods included interval workouts, pace clocks and log books, heart rate tests, training under stress and T Wave studies of the ventricles. He developed techniques such as even-paced swimming and the use of two-beat kicks for long-distance events. And was the first to study "tapering" in depth.

Vince Lombardi

Great NFL coach of the 1960s. The Super Bowl trophy is named after him. Named coach of the year in his first year as a Head Coach (Green Bay Packers). Took his team to the Championship playoff in just his 2nd year. They won the following 2 years - winning 5 championships during Lombardi's 9 year reign at the Packers (including the first 2 ever Super Bowls). Credited with the introduction of a number of new and innovative plays to the NFL. One of the first professional coaches in any sport to use outstanding motivational speeches to help get the best out of his teams. Best known by a lot of people for his famous quotes - probably one of his best known is "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing

Alex Ferguson
Don't know a whole lot about his coaching career (not being a follower of soccer) but know enough that for someone to be at the helm of such a famous and successful club as Manchester United for so long - he must be doing a lot of things right.

John Buchanan
Revolutionalised the way cricket is coached with his use of technology. Over saw an extraordinarily successful period on Queensland Cricket before going on to do the same for Australia.

John Smith
Greatest spints coach, having coached Maurice Greene, Ato Bolden and Flo-Jo. Currently coaches Carmelita Jeter - who holds the second fastest women's 100m time ever recorded.

Tony Roche
Tennis great went to also being a great tennis coach. Has coached Ivan Lendl, Pat Rafter, Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt. As well as the Australian Davis Cup team for a time and working for Tennis Australia with up and coming juniors.

Alex Parnov

Aussie Pole Vault coach. Coached Tatiana Gregoriava and Victor Chistiakov. Currently coaches Steve Hooker and Paul Burgess (men's world # 1 and #2), Alana Boyd, and his daughters Vicky and Liz Parnov (both outstanding young prospects)

I have others, but am sick of writing now. Will post more later - but keen to know about other coaches people like, regard highly etc.

From football;

Pep Guardiola

Stop the contest is over.

Was John Buchanan really that good?? He was the coach of Australia when they had one of the best test teams of all time. No doubt he was a bit good anyway.

actually in american football circles, Don Shula is generally regarded as the greatest coach ever.

pennywisealfie said:
actually in american football circles, Don Shula is generally regarded as the greatest coach ever.

Your point? FB asked for coaches you like or coaches you respect. There. Lombardi and Madden. BAM.

Bannermania said:
pennywisealfie said:

Your point? FB asked for coaches you like or coaches you respect. There. Lombardi and Madden. BAM.

Yeah! Get that into ya!

Hey penny, make sure you pick the drive-by's "best" players this week.

*wink wink*

There's no doubt in my mind who the best coach of all time in any sport was. Phil Economidis.

Coxy said:
There's no doubt in my mind who the best coach of all time in any sport was. Phil Economidis.

+1

I want Phil to replace Ivan icon_thumbs_u

I specifically said no Rugby League coaches you two - learn to follow instructions.

I don't believe Phil Economidis is a rugby league coach, so my nomination stands [icon_lol1.

Coxy said:
I don't believe Phil Economidis is a rugby league coach, so my nomination stands [icon_lol1.

Phil Economidis is a Rugby League coach currently coaching the Souths Logan Magpies club in the Queensland Cup. He is perhaps best remembered for his stint as coach of the now defunct Gold Coast Chargers in the old Australian Rugby League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Economidis

LIAR! hah.

I do not identify Phil Economidis with rugby league coaching. Therefore he is not.

Hey, if it's good enough for people to "identify themselves" as Aboriginal, then it should be good enough for me to not "identify" him as a rugby league coach.

Ergo, my nomination stands. And wins.

Firstly it's not a competition so you can't win.

Secondly, you can only identify yourself as something, not non-identify someone else.

Third, you seriously need to get a new job STAT

Active Now

• Foordy
  • lynx000
  • Johnny92
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brocko
  • Cavalo
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • Swordfish
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
  • Justwin
  • Battler
  • Big Del
  • kat00
  • Alec
... and 52 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.