Greatest Rivalry of all Time?

FGfrom50

FGfrom50

NYC Player
Sep 2, 2015
I know some troll of a cowboys fan posted a similar thread last year, but I wanted to have a genuine discussion on this topic. Plus, my memory of Rugby League only stretches back about 12 years, so I has hoping I could learn something from some of you guys who've watching the game longer than I have.

My questions are:
1) What is the best 2 team Rugby League rivalry you've seen, and why? SoO and international included.
2) Where does Broncos v Cowboys 2015-2017 fit on your list?

For me, the current Broncos v Cowboys series of matches is by far the best I've seen. This is because they have been generally high quality matches, every single game without exception has been very close, and only decided at the death, and many of the matches have been on the big stage of finals football.

The only other rivalries I can think of that kind of compare are Storm v Manly 2007-2008ish (tarnished by the salary cap scandal), and State of Origin from about 2013 to 2015, when there were a lot of very close and very physical games.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of some of the wiser heads on this forum!

First time thread poster, my apologies if this should have been posted somewhere else.

I can't not say the Broncos and the Stupid Cowboys. It's absolutely incredible that we have gone to golden point/extra time just so many times. It's always a quality game between the two. But FMD the Cowboys get some luck.

I think broncos-cowboys for sure. Im old enough to remember them talking up the games against canberra and meninga. The mighty green machine, but they ever lived up to their hype as one or the other would run away with it. On a more personal level harrigan versus mark carrol, the two big props, or when down in sydney, wally lewis versus the whole of nsw! I used to love how nochalantly he'd steal a ball from a tired prop ore throw a dummy, whilst what seem antire crowd was baying for his blood. Great player!

This rivalry is as real as The Rock VS Stone Cold Steve Austin.

It's the best I've seen.

Usually when the media jumps aboard something, it rarely lives up to the hype so it's a testament to these two teams that we've seen six incredibly close games.

While it's painful and I hate to see them lose, the fact the Broncos have to continuously watch the Cowboys celebrate these victories makes me more emotionally invested. Despite the club's rich history and standing in the game, I want to see them beat the Cowboys. I want that same feeling I had on Good Friday last year and I want to see the likes of Milford, Kahu, Oates etc. play to their ability and receive their due.

After last night I could be in the minority, but I get a bigger thrill out of watching the Broncos beat Melbourne. In my eyes, until Smith retires they'll always be the bench mark.

Origin is pretty hard to beat. But this is something different, and it is transcending club footy. It is close to our city - country. The style and spirit of footy between these two in recent times is pretty unique, and the sheer number of origin team-mates has a bit to do with that (both in terms of quality and spirit). Probably need a few more GFs together to be right up there.

This rivalry is as real as The Rock VS Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Agree. It's manufactured by the NRL, there is no other explanation. You could pinpoint every deliberate decision last night. I haven't seen a game so "managed" by the refs.

Agree. It's manufactured by the NRL, there is no other explanation. You could pinpoint every deliberate decision last night. I haven't seen a game so "managed" by the refs.

Please do go on.

Was I the only one who spotted the illuminati tattoo on Shortall?

Please do go on.

Was I the only one who spotted the illuminati tattoo on Shortall?

Haha. No but I was watching a replay and the refs repeatedly began reverting to their true reptilian appearance, and the video would cut away one second later.

Haha. No but I was watching a replay and the refs repeatedly began reverting to their true reptilian appearance, and the video would cut away one second later.
It may not be supernatural, but it's starting to feet a lot like Ground Hog day.

Our best organic rivalry is with Melbourne. End of. Hardest opponents and feels great when we do beat them.

Can't really compare SOO cause that's a different beast of a thing.

However.....

Broncos/Cowboys looks like blatant match fixing by the NRL and is only catering to one dickhead club (Cowfucks). I don't see any other club combination going into GP 5 consecutive times, with only one team winning, with the same player kicking the same FG. I am sick of this matchup and on Friday I didn't give a **** about this match because I knew how it was gonna end. I have been speaking to other non-broncos supporters and they think this matchup is bullshit too. This matchup is getting too predictable and reeks of brown paper bags.

Btw Milford's FG last year was prob not supposed to happen lulz.

I am also sick of the fucking commentators hyping this "rivalry" up. It reeks of manufacturing. **** off this isn't the WWE. We are obviously the "heel" wrestler and Thurston is John Cena. **** off.

Maybe the NRL feels sorry for them because we had a 25+ win streak on them 20 yrs ago and they were the joke of the League + the 3 years where they went "We wus robbed" from 2011-2014.

I am sick of Cowboys supporters in general they are absolute fuckwits. Even Jessica Mauboy in the recent Fox commercials carrys on like an arroagnt fuckwit towards Souffs and Bulldogs players.

I expect ppl to be against me with this post but I am still pissed off about yesterday and I am sick of it.

Call me crazy but I am starting to think the games between the cowboys and us are set by the refs, like they are told to make it a close game *tinfoil hat*. Giving away bs penalties (The Blair penalty just before half time leading to the cowboys try) or letting undeniable forward passes go (Roberts->Kahu). I am not complaining about the loss because we had plenty of chances to win it, the Broncos crumble under pressure like that game.

Our best organic rivalry is with Melbourne. End of. Hardest opponents and feels great when we do beat them.

Can't really compare SOO cause that's a different beast of a thing.

However.....

Broncos/Cowboys looks like blatant match fixing by the NRL and is only catering to one dickhead club (Cowfucks). I don't see any other club combination going into GP 5 consecutive times, with only one team winning, with the same player kicking the same FG. I am sick of this matchup and on Friday I didn't give a **** about this match because I knew how it was gonna end. I have been speaking to other non-broncos supporters and they think this matchup is bullshit too. This matchup is getting too predictable and reeks of brown paper bags.

Btw Milford's FG last year was prob not supposed to happen lulz.

I am also sick of the fucking commentators hyping this "rivalry" up. It reeks of manufacturing. **** off this isn't the WWE. We are obviously the "heel" wrestler and Thurston is John Cena. **** off.

Maybe the NRL feels sorry for them because we had a 25+ win streak on them 20 yrs ago and they were the joke of the League + the 3 years where they went "We wus robbed" from 2011-2014.

I am sick of Cowboys supporters in general they are absolute fuckwits. Even Jessica Mauboy in the recent Fox commercials carrys on like an arroagnt fuckwit towards Souffs and Bulldogs players.

I expect ppl to be against me with this post but I am still pissed off about yesterday and I am sick of it.

I'd hate to be your iPad or keyboard when you were typing that. Some shit reffing in these sure but that's most weeks in my book.

As for their fans, I've never had my nose rubbed in it be it at the GF in 15 or last night at the game or ever really for that matter ....I cant say the same for the 14 other clubs so will disagree with u there

It's the greatest rivalry I've ever seen. Even better than the Broncos vs Dragons rivalry back in the 90's and early 00's.

I don't think any other rivalry in the game has had 4 extra time games in the past 5 matches.

But is it the greatest of all time? Not sure.

My grandad has some good stories of the old Souths vs Roosters games.

It's the greatest rivalry I've ever seen. Even better than the Broncos vs Dragons rivalry back in the 90's and early 00's.

I don't think any other rivalry in the game has had 4 extra time games in the past 5 matches.

But is it the greatest of all time? Not sure.

My grandad has some good stories of the old Souths vs Roosters games.

Ever heard the stories of the Wests V Manly games of the late 70's and early 80's

Probably the most fiery rivalry you'll ever see

This is no rivalry. Most of the Broncos fans have Cowboys as a 2nd team and trot out that disgusting line "It's ok that we lost because it was to the Cowboys".

Active Now

• bazza
  • Xzei
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • johnny plath
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fozz
  • levikaden
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.