NEWS Greenberg resigns

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Just came through on ABC Radio that Greenberg has resigned.

And the NRL.com website confirms:

Todd Greenberg has stood down as chief executive officer of the NRL, effective immediately.

His employment with the Australian Rugby League Commission will finish up on Monday.

The NRL has issued a statement to say "after reflecting on the needs of the game, it has been mutually agreed that Todd Greenberg will step down".

Frankly, he won't be missed. I could spend all afternoon talking about why but I'm in no mood to bother.

Hopefully he's the first of many bad influences we manage to shake off (Nine).

He needed to go
I don’t think the clubs were willing to work with him anymore and either were the players after what happened to their retirement fund
As far as I’m concerned he is only 1 of quite a few people that need clearing out at nrl headquarters

V’Landys or whatever his name is didn’t appear to be a big fan of him and the way he managed the funds.

Where's the missing money the clubs didn't get?

Effective immediately.

This comes as no real surprise. Todd's future in the game was one of the major talking points before the season kicked off and if anything the corona virus bought him time.

Greenberg's biggest legacy was the NRL bunker which helped the video referees make quicker decisions. It's still up in the air whether it was worth the cost, but it slightly improved the game.

Otherwise what stood out about Greenberg's time as CEO was his fan engagement. Gallop, Smith and Grant only spoke to the fans when they had to, but Greenberg was happy to appear on programs and clear the air on any given hot topic issue. He'd also engage fans on social media, infamously calling out the negative News Limited journalists and encouraged the fans to talk the game up.

He was somebody who had better product knowledge than the others, but didn't understand how to grow the game and was often guilty of bowing to public pressure. This was evident during the referee crackdown which he enforced at the start of 2018 only to backflip when the media campaign became too much and he asked them to loosen the chains around Origin time.

Ever since they got rid of Smith who did an excellent job of negotiating that television rights deal, it just seems like the NRL has had a bunch of care-takers without any real vision for the game. The next couple of years are going to be extremely tough for the game, so I hope they can find somebody who can stand by their convictions and think long term where the competition is heading.

He was dodgy long before he ascended to the CEO job. You only have to cast your mind back to the way he looked after Ben Barber at the Dogs.
Punishing player behavior wasn't a priority when they were his players.

Barb Smith has some of it, I know that.

Yeah that's one bit of the mismanagent, but aren't they saying that the clubs in their rescue package didn't get the amount the new boss told the NRL to pay them?

He wasn’t my favourite, but I’m concerned about whoever the Nein/News Corp will use as their puppet.

They certainly won’t have the game as their priority - it’ll be about getting the cheapest rights deal possible for Nein and Fox and siccing ***** like Hooper on to everyone 24/7

Talk about deserting a sinking ship. He got out while the league can still pay his entitlements. God help the poor bastard that replaces him.

Wonder if Paul white gets a run next year

Talk about deserting a sinking ship. He got out while the league can still pay his entitlements. God help the poor bastard that replaces him.

I agree in a way ... but all indications are he was about to be sacked (or not have his contract renewed) anyway ...

so to me, it is more like jumping before he was pushed ... so this way he can say he left on his own terms

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.