NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

BHQ, always the best source:

McHunt:

"6. Donuts and Ikin will have already run this by Karl Morris and News Ltd in the background. They know how the board will vote.

7. There is another play yet, and it may be the initial offer was a bait and switch. We are absolutely being played here, and it's all to give Payne a pat on the back.

I will not be at all surprised if the board sends the deal back and asks for a shorter term, or there's less risk inherent than there initially appears."

Working Out Do It GIF by Peloton

Well it is reported in the news outlet that owns the club, so you would imagine this is a fact.

I am very happy if it is anything under 800k a year.

I'm actually surprised they haven't mentioned a figure (accurate or not)

I'm also assuming part of the "compromise" to reduce it to a 6 year contract is his pay rise starts from 2022 rather than having to wait until 2025

I'm actually surprised they haven't mentioned a figure (accurate or not)

I'm also assuming part of the "compromise" to reduce it to a 6 year contract is his pay rise starts from 2022 rather than having to wait until 2025
Come on now, its the media, 2 mill a season isnt out of the question here

Couldn't be happier. He is genuinely absolutely elite tier. I wouldn't trade him for any prop in the game, I'm with Lozza Daley on this one, Payne's the best front rower in the competition.

6 years is a perfect contract length and anything under 1 million a year is very good business.

You have to remember this freak of a player is still only 21 which is baby years for a prop, he will only get better. It's going to be awesome having Capewell and Reynolds. He'll have genuine real leaders and winners around him which will help him evolve.

Unlike Fifita and co, I have absolutely zero concern about Payne slacking off, he got the big bucks and 6 year deal before he played a game and has given everything every game since.

On a semi-related note, how good is it when our best paid players are actually our best players?

We've went from Milford, Boyd, Macca on mega deals that were worth 300k at most.

Now we have Haas on, maybe 800k, Staggs on 700k, Reynolds on 750k, all on good money that play at a level that deserves it. It's a good change, Walters is doing some good things, I'm slowly coming around to him being potentially a long term coach.

DD is a shrewd operator, there hasn't been one baffling signing decision since he came on board compared to the horror of years prior.

On a semi-related note, how good is it when our best paid players are actually our best players?
On the one hand its better than what the Broncos had, but on the other hand I still believe your best players should be in the spine if you really want to compete, so Broncos have a ways to go.

We've went from Milford, Boyd, Macca on mega deals that were worth 300k at most.

Now we have Haas on, maybe 800k, Staggs on 700k, Reynolds on 750k, all on good money that play at a level that deserves it. It's a good change, Walters is doing some good things, I'm slowly coming around to him being potentially a long term coach.

DD is a shrewd operator, there hasn't been one baffling signing decision since he came on board compared to the horror of years prior.
Yep even the guys who are just filler for the 30 have been signed on shorter 1-2 year deals and 0 player options!!!!

On the one hand its better than what the Broncos had, but on the other hand I still believe your best players should be in the spine if you really want to compete, so Broncos have a ways to go.
I'm firmly in the camp of an elite prop is not a luxury but essential to being a top team.
A Rey is a start, and we should still have cap space to make a move on Manu or an elite 1 in the next 2 years.

Unfortunately it's difficult to be Melbourne and keep elite level spine players for 600k because we don't have a boat yard up the road.

Really good outcome for both the Broncos & Haas if / when this deal gets finalised. 👏

I think this deal for Haas will result in the club spending less on other front row / middle forwards. He’ll be the player the forward pack is built around.
Hopefully it might even mean other forwards are happy to stay & play alongside him rather than chase the dollars elsewhere

Active Now

• Allo
  • Tmac
  • BruiserMk1
  • johnny plath
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Hoof Hearted
  • pennywisealfie
  • ostin86
  • kman
  • RodF
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.