NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

Cameron Smith can just go and GET FUCKED. He has come out today and warned Payne Haas against signing a long term deal.

here is what Smith said:

“You’ve just got to be careful,” Smith said on SEN’s Pat and Heals.

“Once you sign a contract, clearly you agree to the terms of the length of the contract and the financial part of it as well.

“When you sign, clearly, you’re happy with the terms of the deal at the time, so it’s really hard to turn around and say two years into that contract that, ‘I’m worth more money’, if you weren’t playing well, would you turn around and volunteer to give up money? I don’t think so.

“You’ve got to be careful there, if you’re playing well enough and your actions and football is doing the talking then any club in their right mind would come to you and say, ‘You’re doing a good job, let’s have some discussions on extending your contract and upgrading your current terms’.”

“I just think he needs to be careful with the way he goes about it, which I think he is.

“He’s certainly backing it up on the field, and there’s certainly no dramas between he and the club but it’s just something he needs to sort out away from footy.”
To be entirely fair, Cameron Smith is more qualfieid to talk about signing playing contracts than most given that he's one of a group of guys who was playing with two signed contracts at the same time. :rofl

To be entirely fair, Cameron Smith is more qualfieid to talk about signing playing contracts than most given that he's one of a group of guys who was playing with two signed contracts at the same time. :rofl

So over a 20 year career, he signed about 42 contracts!

So over a 20 year career, he signed about 42 contracts!
Yep, just the one boat though...

Http   cdncnncom cnnnext dam assets 210701131326 worlds largest yacht  credit  winch design 3

Objectively, what is Hass worth?

Very difficult to gauge.

Depends on the club, premiership window, balance, strengths and weaknesses.

I think of tried and true Bennett not like paying much for forwards. But the expression, forwards win games and backs get laid.

All these big contracts thrown around get players and their managers talking;
But there are just as many burnt clubs: Bird, Milford, etc.

He is a special player. Big Motor!! Big metre eater!! Does the 1% plays.

I think his current contract is fair value. Took a risk on an unknown and is heavy back ended. I think $800k is fair value for next contract.

Big thing Anthony Milford crew didn't talk about, this is essentially a TEAM game. You take all the money, it leaves less for support crew. Anthony needed REALLY good support crew to achieve. He was very greedy and didn't respect the team and his limitations.

I'm sure the Maldives are nice. Owning a Lambo too. But when you are doing BBQ with old warhorses, I bet premierships, and your game changing moments rate just as well. I would rather sit at Gordon Tallis's table, than talk about my money and won nothing.

As big a flog to the Broncos as Tallis has been, he commands players respect. No player wanted to tackle him, fight him. Everyone wanted him in their team. All the greats still fear him. Money is great, but it doesn't buy legacy.

I'm talking about Weidler's article, the guy has no sources so is just trying to make himself relevant but regardless, if Haas wants over a million, walk away and throw 800k at Tino.

So you want to throw 800k at Tino but not spend the extra 200k for a player that's a level above him and will be even better as he progresses?

Makes sense. If we're willing to spend that much on Tino, then Haas is worth $1 million+.

Big thing Anthony Milford crew didn't talk about, this is essentially a TEAM game. You take all the money, it leaves less for support crew. Anthony needed REALLY good support crew to achieve. He was very greedy and didn't respect the team and his limitations.

That's on the club, not on Anthony. We had the cap space to give him the support crew he needed. We decided to give upgrades to players who didn't deserve it.

Ben Ikin:

“It is incumbent upon us to make a really strong case that makes it difficult for Payne to leave the Broncos. The Roosters would be one of 16 other clubs, including the Dolphins, who would be keen to get Payne Haas to their organisation. He is here currently, we have him for another three seasons, and everybody that works at the Broncos wants to get this club back winning again."

“We want to build a world-class footy program and if we do both of those things, we would hope it becomes a very difficult decision for Payne to leave. We’ll focus on things that are in our control. After that, Payne will have to make a choice. But we want him here, we value him highly and we are working hard to build a footy program that Payne wants to be part of for a long time to come.”

Kevin Walters

“We are hoping to have Payne here long-term for sure. That was Payne’s standout year last year which is great for the Broncos. If he can continue on that pathway, which we believe he will, and we provide the right people around him, Payne will keep the faith. We can’t have Payne doing it all on his own in the forwards. He needs support. We can’t have all the workload on Payne Haas and guys like Kurt Capewell and Tom Flegler will certainly help him in that regard. I don’t believe we have seen the best of Payne Haas. He is only 21 years of age and he is excited about the season ahead.”

McHunt

You're almost completely right.....except you've got the wrong bad guy.

Players managers are who is fucking the pooch.....

Yeah sure, Milford could have gone "Nahh, mr scumcunt manager....thats too much
but.....what 21yro would?

The whole system/expectation/perspective is out of whack.

OK......yep you're only in it for a limited time (as an NRL player) and its a 100% effort full-time gig.....but

say everyone says no to your exorbitant price.....
what are you going to make in a lifetime....as a labourer....as a tradesman........good chance is, you won't have millions, sitting in the bank like a one time NRL player will have.

I'm quite sure some old time NRL players would be happy with 10% of what some current managers, have clubs believe is the player market.

The clubs and the NRL should control the market and player managers should be abolished....IMO.

You're almost completely right.....except you've got the wrong bad guy.

Players managers are who is fucking the pooch.....

Yeah sure, Milford could have gone "Nahh, mr scumcunt manager....thats too much
but.....what 21yro would?

The whole system/expectation/perspective is out of whack.

OK......yep you're only in it for a limited time (as an NRL player) and its a 100% effort full-time gig.....but

say everyone says no to your exorbitant price.....
what are you going to make in a lifetime....as a labourer....as a tradesman........good chance is, you won't have millions, sitting in the bank like a one time NRL player will have.

I'm quite sure some old time NRL players would be happy with 10% of what some current managers, have clubs believe is the player market.

The clubs and the NRL should control the market and player managers should be abolished....IMO.
I wish these dudes realised that if they didn’t use a manager they will make MORE money, they don’t need to pay the scum bags. Hire a decent lawyer write up the contract boom.

I wish these dudes realised that if they didn’t use a manager they will make MORE money, they don’t need to pay the scum bags. Hire a decent lawyer write up the contract boom.

After all the bullshit the likes of Moses has put the competition through, this is more true than ever. Contracts should be discussed between player and club, and if the player wants to have the contract vetted, that is very easy to do via someone that isn't a shameless vulture.

Those statements read like we've lost him and they're trying desperately to convince him otherwise.
Even if we have though, it can't be (well shouldn't be but this is the NRL) for another 3 years.
Exactly. We have him wrapped up for yonks. He's the least of our worries. And if he wants to leave for more money, well it's just money. They have to spend it wisely, and splashing too much of your cap on a prop isn't likely to be the smartest investment.

They will struggle to get the little amount of third party deals that exist then. Players aren’t out working to source them.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • theshed
  • Skathen
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.