NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

They will struggle to get the little amount of third party deals that exist then. Players aren’t out working to source them.
Good....maybe then they can focus on their football instead.

Not lookin good. Starting to think he won’t see out his contract.

If he wins against his old manager will that impact the validity of his contract?

Not lookin good. Starting to think he won’t see out his contract.

If he wins against his old manager will that impact the validity of his contract?
The Broncos have already given up on his old contract, and offered him a new one. They agree he's worth more than he's being paid by his existing contract. They're already paying him a bonus over his contract value. The negotiation is over the term and value of a new contract now. However, his old contract remains binding until he agrees to a new one.

The dispute with his agent appears to be over commission. His case doesn't look strong prima facie, but I'm sure he's put together an argument of some basis for being neglected or misled.

Against the Broncos, he would be able to dispute his existing contract by arguing he didn't understand the terms, they misled him or the contract injures him in some way, but he would be unlikely to win. The issue he has is he signed for too little. That's not grounds for breach of contract. That's just tough titties.

Orr and PSM have a good stable of Broncos. Flegler, Cobbo, Kevvie and Palasia with Haas.

But if a bummer that you sign a dud million dollar deal you have to cop 3 years of Milford on the chin but you take a punt on a promising young guy on a long term $500k deal and half way through you’re expected to renegotiate because at some point it tipped in your favour.

But if a bummer that you sign a dud million dollar deal you have to cop 3 years of Milford on the chin but you take a punt on a promising young guy on a long term $500k deal and half way through you’re expected to renegotiate because at some point it tipped in your favour.

This.

But in Payne’s case he’s paid unders but we are all comfortable with an upgrade

To be fair just how many clubs try to offload dud contracts, (Inglis, Cordner, Friend, Gillett to name a few) retirements, ship them off to be England, drop them to reserves and hope they decide to quit, pressure them through media games, etc. It's definitely not a one way street although players do hold more power to get out of a bad contact.

Heck even Boyd, he had 1 year left and he left early, there was 100% media games from the club to pressure Boyd to retire early.

We fucked off Lodge with some really rude constant talking about his contract in the media, one week we wanted him, one week he didn't.

If Haas wants to angle for a better deal, I can't blame him. Fair is fair, clubs do it anytime they can too

I haven’t been following the Payne situation, as I didn’t even know there was one..
Haven’t seen him look unhappy or any cause for him to want out?
Didnt we upgrade his $ last season (2021)? Seen a few clowns on socials saying he is going here there and everywhere.
Last I knew if we had him locked down for another 3 seasons.
It’s funny that we don’t see theses articles written about other top tier players ie Turbo or Teddy..

To be fair just how many clubs try to offload dud contracts, (Inglis, Cordner, Friend, Gillett to name a few) retirements, ship them off to be England, drop them to reserves and hope they decide to quit, pressure them through media games, etc. It's definitely not a one way street although players do hold more power to get out of a bad contact.

Heck even Boyd, he had 1 year left and he left early, there was 100% media games from the club to pressure Boyd to retire early.

We fucked off Lodge with some really rude constant talking about his contract in the media, one week we wanted him, one week he didn't.

If Haas wants to angle for a better deal, I can't blame him. Fair is fair, clubs do it anytime they can too

Interesting point though, if this apparent contract challenge is successful, you would imagine the clubs would be wanting to make sure it works the other way too. So that if you end up with a Milford being worth 20% of what he is being paid, you can downgrade the contract as well.

Interesting point though, if this apparent contract challenge is successful, you would imagine the clubs would be wanting to make sure it works the other way too. So that if you end up with a Milford being worth 20% of what he is being paid, you can downgrade the contract as well.
Should be able too

I've lost track of what's been said on Payne, so just ignore me if you've heard this ten times before, but the latest Haas story that's been bumped just now on the CM claims to "reveal his potential price tag." Here's the money shot, noting "it is understood" and "there is a view" is about as weak as sources get:

"In April, the Broncos made moves to reward Haas for his outstanding form, increasing his salary from $550,000 to $750,000 this year, an upgrade that made him Brisbane’s highest-paid forward. It is understood Haas is Brisbane’s second highest-paid player behind key halfback recruit Adam Reynolds, who is on around $800,000 next season, but there is a view the brilliant 21-year-old prop is worth closer to $1 million."

I've lost track of what's been said on Payne, so just ignore me if you've heard this ten times before, but the latest Haas story that's been bumped just now on the CM claims to "reveal his potential price tag." Here's the money shot, noting "it is understood" and "there is a view" is about as weak as sources get:

"In April, the Broncos made moves to reward Haas for his outstanding form, increasing his salary from $550,000 to $750,000 this year, an upgrade that made him Brisbane’s highest-paid forward. It is understood Haas is Brisbane’s second highest-paid player behind key halfback recruit Adam Reynolds, who is on around $800,000 next season, but there is a view the brilliant 21-year-old prop is worth closer to $1 million."

some of Badel's best there ... i particularly like how he increased Reynolds contract value from when it was announced

Starting to think we just use Haas in his prime for the rest of his contract then let the Roosters have him.
Tired of these two faced players and their close affiliations with rival clubs/members.

Dont get me wrong, i love Haas as a player, but all this bullshit around him and Sonny Bill and the Rorters just makes me want to see him leave.
Wish we could get some through and through Broncos that only wanted to play for us, and were willing to commit to being one club players.

some of Badel's best there ... i particularly like how he increased Reynolds contract value from when it was announced
You're more fixated on numbers than me, but sounds about right to me. If I recall he's on around $2+ million over three years, and it's frontloaded. So something like 800k, 700k, 600k.

By way of example, ZT has him on $750k a season. Fairly sure this is wrong:

News says around 2.2 million over three years:

SMH liked $2.2 million as well:

Meanwhile, Badel initially thought $2.4 million, but this was before it was formally announced.

He's still saying $2.4 million now:

Note: around doesn't mean precisely. I will tell you a secret, I am an academic in language studies at a university, I feel confident in my understanding of the word 'around'.

You're more fixated on numbers than me, but sounds about right to me. If I recall he's on around $2+ million over three years, and it's frontloaded. So something like 800k, 700k, 600k.

By way of example, ZT has him on $750k a season. Fairly sure this is wrong:

News says around 2.2 million over three years:

SMH liked $2.2 million as well:

Meanwhile, Badel initially thought $2.4 million, but this was before it was formally announced.

He's still saying $2.4 million now:

Note: around doesn't mean precisely. I will tell you a secret, I am an academic in language studies at a university, I feel confident in my understanding of the word 'around'.

the initial reports (which i always give more credence to as they happen before the media have time to get their stories straight) were $2.25 million over 3 years or 750k a year ... but i guess taking on an extra 50 fits their agenda's and/or narrative better

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Broncorob
  • Fatboy
  • Lurker
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Manlyman
  • Morkel
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • The Don
  • Johnny92
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Jazza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.