Half back inflation

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Interesting comparison and example of half back inflation in 13 years.

Thurston 21 years old- $240,000 which was inflated price, he said he would have stayed at the Dogs for $170,000 but they wouldn’t budge from $140k.
Queensland Under 17, 2000
Queensland Under 19, 2001
New South Wales Under 19, 2002
New South Wales Residents 2002
Junior Roos 2002
Jersey Flegg Premiers 2001- V Sharks 12-10.
First Division Premiers 2002 v Dragons 24-22 (Jono kicked winning goal with about 5 minutes to go)
NRL 29 games.

Taylor- 22 years old- Million dollars.
ISC Souths 8 games.
Junior Roos 2015
Queensland Under 20 2015
NYC 47 games grand final 2014.
NRL 47 games

They’re not dissimilar really. I certainly don’t think Thurston had shown more than Taylor in his 29 NRL games up to the point where he signed with the Cowboys. Guess we will see if Parr and Murray are smarter than Brennan and Mestrov. It is interesting to see what you pay now for the half you think can be your half for life.

What percentage increase has the salary cap seen between those two years?

Just doing the calculations based on actual inflation, and the salary cap figures. At $1 million a year, he's being paid around 20% more than Thurston was in 2001.

Good point.

3.3 million to 9.4 million.

I based it on this years cap due to the figures not being out, so that would make the percentage lower than 20%. So it's not a massive inflation of price for someone in his position.

I do believe it's inflated based on his skill level though.

Part of me thinks $240k for a half of promise who has played two season would still be fair.

All these years later still hard to think about JT playing for NSW

Thurston looked the goods the moment he went to Townsville though.

Taylor hasnt been that great at the Tits in his first season.

Yeah, Thurston definitely looked overall better than Taylor at the same age IMO. Taylor has a gun kicking game, but not much else atm. QLD's version of Adam Reynolds so far.

Thurston ($240,000 per season): 1/13.75 of the cap, 7% of the cap
Taylor ($1,066,000 per season): 1/9th of the cap, 11% of the cap...
With the caps factored in Taylor is still receiving 150%+ of Thurstons (being 11%of the cap compared to 7% of the cap)
This is with the 2019 cap being $9.6 million (estimate)...
They massively overpaid for Taylor...
maybe I've got it wrong because I don't know where people got the 20% more for Taylor from?

Thurston ($240,000 per season): 1/13.75 of the cap, 7% of the cap
Taylor ($1,066,000 per season): 1/9th of the cap, 11% of the cap...
With the caps factored in Taylor is still receiving 150%+ of Thurstons (being 11%of the cap compared to 7% of the cap)
This is with the 2019 cap being $9.6 million (estimate)...
maybe I've got it wrong because I don't know where people got the 20% more for Taylor from?

I'm useless at math, but $240,000 in 2001, with inflation is worth $340,000 or something according to the RBA calculator. I didn't factor in the cap with the inflation though... sooo...

I'm useless at math, but $240,000 in 2001, with inflation is worth $340,000 or something according to the RBA calculator. I didn't factor in the cap with the inflation though... sooo...
I wasn't factoring in inflation tbh, I was just simply calculating it in comparison to the cap sizes. And I think he signed for the cowboys in 2004?

Next years salary cap is for 30 players, isnt it? Thats 5 more players you gotta fit in too.

Time will tell if Taylor is a good value signing but the fact is a club needs a good half or you are pretty much screwed.
If you were the Titans and trying to build a competitive side you simply had to keep Taylor, if you lose him then you either wait for the next good kid or go to market like Saints and pay overs anyway.

In 2019 you won't have Hayne ( 1.2 mil ? ) so you actually gain a bit into the cap, also this is probably the Titans last chance.
The new owners have to get it right and quickly, I can't see the NRL bailing them again if they fall over and I can't see private owners just burning cash for years because they like the club.

He was fortunate to be in the situation where he is a must keep.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.