Help For Broncos Season Preview

T

The Boss

BRL Player
Feb 15, 2016
Hi, I need some of your guys help , as I will be doing a series where I will be previewing each NRL teams season, by getting questions answered by some passionate fans an be published on "The Roar" website. I need your guys help and I decided that so this will be the perfect place to get some great info on the Broncos 2020 season. I have 10 questions and be greatly appreciated if any of you guys and help me out. Message me if your keen. Regards

Why don't you just post the questions here and everyone can post with their answers and you can pick the ones you like...?

Last edited:
Why don't you just post the questions here and everyone can post with their answers and you can pick the ones you like...?
That's far too clever ! I hope the responses are proof read before publication, you know we wouldn't want to seem like we are Souths supporters. In other words, leave our responses as we've written them😉

That's far too clever ! I hope the responses are proof read before publication, you know we wouldn't want to seem like we are Souths supporters. In other words, leave our responses as we've written them😉

It's The Roar... we'll be lucky if what ends up being published is even in English or readable...

Like others, happy to answer in thread.

Hi, I need some of your guys help , as I will be doing a series where I will be previewing each NRL teams season, by getting questions answered by some passionate fans an be published on "The Roar" website. I need your guys help and I decided that so this will be the perfect place to get some great info on the Broncos 2020 season. I have 10 questions and be greatly appreciated if any of you guys and help me out. Message me if your keen. Regards

The answer to your questions it Pat Carrigan.

Answer as many as u like , more detail the better the response
1. What are the biggest changes that need to be made from last season?
Should Darius Boyd be in the team and if so what position?
Do you believe Brodie Croft is the halfback Broncos desperately need? Melbourne do not allow many great players leave.
What’s the general opinion on Anthony Seibold, he worked wonders in his only year at Souths, was he responsible for the disappointment last year was in particular the nightmare at Bankwest?
There is a legitimate argument to be made that Broncos may have the 2 best forwards in the game in Payne Haas and David Fifita but are the Broncos too reliant on them, what players need to step up with these 2 young forwards?
The player with the most pressure on them is?
Player not many people have heard of to have biggest impact.
What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?
Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?
In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Broncos winning the Premiership, if so how?

Number 4 gonna cause this place to meltdown

... published on “The Roar” website

Last edited:

Let's start with the defence. The Broncos were terrible at controlling the ruck and defusing kicks. The forwards have to stop the opposition from getting a roll on by working on their technique, getting good first contact and working the player over.

The backs need to develop their awareness so they can anticipate the kicks and focus on the steps they can take to catch the ball.

With the ball, the Broncos need to play a more expansive brand of football and need to get Milford in the game as much as possible. They need to stop being so reliant on Lodge and Haas and to mix things up so they can generate some momentum around dummy half.

2. Should Darius Boyd be in the team and if so what position?

If Darius Boyd had any pride he would have announced his retirement last year and stepped away from first grade Rugby League. Darius is a shadow of himself, he doesn't pose a threat to opposition teams and he has no business being in an NRL side.

3. Do you believe Brodie Croft is the halfback Broncos desperately need? Melbourne do not allow many great players leave.

In the short term yes, in the long term I don't think so. I have a lot of faith in Anthony Milford, Tom Dearden and Cory Paix but the latter two still require some seasoning before they can really make a case for themselves. With Croft what you see is what you get. He's solid across the board but doesn't have that Cooper Cronk esque precision he needs to be an elite half. He'll be an improvement over Turpin and he could potentially relish the opportunity to become the organising halfback but it would take quite the transformation for him to be a premiership winning halfback.

4. What’s the general opinion on Anthony Seibold, he worked wonders in his only year at Souths, was he responsible for the disappointment last year, in particular the nightmare at Bankwest?

Yes he has to accept some responsibility, Seibold tore the 2019 squad apart which made it difficult for them to mount any kind of challenge. By and large he did it for the right reasons and the club had to accept some short term pain for some potential long term gains and with the exception of McGuire, none of the players he let go were going to lead the Broncos to premiership glory.

Right now Seibold is a rookie coach that's still learning what it takes to make it in the NRL. He made a lot of mistakes last year and if he can learn from them and grow he could be a great coach. However as it currently stands he just seems like a student of the game who learned a couple of nice slogans to appease the corporates.

5. There is a legitimate argument to be made that Broncos may have the 2 best forwards in the game in Payne Haas and David Fifita but are the Broncos too reliant on them, what players need to step up with these 2 young forwards?

If anything the Broncos could have relied on Fifita more if only because he started to step things up in the second half of the season.

The Broncos need Turpin or their dummy half to help guide the team around the ruck and help create space for his playmakers.

They also need a Patrick Carrigan to help tighten that middle third. Carrigan has huge raps off the field and the Broncos require him to mature into a leader at 13.

6. The player with the most pressure on them is?

In general it's Darius because most fans know he's cooked and needs to give it away.

Outside of Boyd, I'd say it's Anthony Milford the highest paid player who has proven to be a middle of the road option. There is a lot to like about Milford's game but he lacks the vision of an elite half and struggles to capitilise on half-breaks like he was able to. Considering the club has made a bunch of changes around him, he's got no more excuses.

7. Player not many people have heard of to have biggest impact.

Most fans would be aware of him but Xavier Coates has the makings of a Test player and is the most promising back to come through the Broncos ranks since Yow Yeh. He has a great turn of pace, a big strong fend and in the air he can swoop on a kick like a full-forward in the AFL.

8. What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?

Most fans would be happy with a Top 4 finish with a settled line-up that could push for premiership honours in 2021.

Failure would be anything less.

9. Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?

Right now I would rate Corey Oates & Payne Haas the most likely candidates. Oates has been vying for the post for every season these past five years. He was beginning to show some poor signs towards the end of last year but hardly anybody else put their hands up.

Haas was duking it out for Dally M player of the year despite missing the first four games of the year. He still has improvement in him and it's going to be scary to see his development as a player if he can stay injury free.

Hopefully it's Anthony Milford and Tevita Pangai Jr since it will mean they found some consistensy.

10. In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Broncos winning the Premiership, if so how?

The Broncos will improve but will still find themselves in a similar position as last year. I believe the competition will be stronger than what it was and the teams will have to really earn their spot in the Top 8 unlike last season.

With the Broncos, the players and the coach are on the same page now. There won't be as much turbulance as last season and I think they'll play a more expansive brand of football now that Seibold has more influence over the roster.

2. Should Darius Boyd be in the team and if so what position?
3. Do you believe Brodie Croft is the halfback Broncos desperately need? Melbourne do not allow many great players leave.
4. What’s the general opinion on Anthony Seibold, he worked wonders in his only year at Souths, was he responsible for the disappointment last year was in particular the nightmare at Bankwest?
5. There is a legitimate argument to be made that Broncos may have the 2 best forwards in the game in Payne Haas and David Fifita but are the Broncos too reliant on them, what players need to step up with these 2 young forwards?
6. The player with the most pressure on them is?
7. Player not many people have heard of to have biggest impact.
8. What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?
9. Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?
10. In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Broncos winning the Premiership, if so how?

1. Picking the best players in their position, regardless of encumbancy.
2. If he earns the spot. The position he is better than other players for.
3. Croft has a toolset we have been missing for half a decade, while being decidedly more clutch than Hunt.
4. He is diplomatic and pragmatic. His hands were tied somewhat, but he has positioned himself to have more control and is doing well with it so far. BankWest was a perfect storm. Our worst Vs Parra's best and some dubious refereeing as a side.
5. Our forwards ALL need to step up defensively.
6. Boyd, closely followed by Milford then Croft.
7. Coates.
8. Top 4, with at least a prelim appearance will be a successful season. Scraping into the 8 and bundling out in the first final game will be a failure.
9. Milford now he has a true half next to him, and is able to play his natural game. Haas will be the most consistant forward, but I think Fifita will generate the highlights.
10. I see a 2nd place finish. This team definately has the talent to win a premiership, but need to tighten the gap between their best and worst.

Should Darius Boyd be in the team and if so what position?
Do you believe Brodie Croft is the halfback Broncos desperately need? Melbourne do not allow many great players leave.
What’s the general opinion on Anthony Seibold, he worked wonders in his only year at Souths, was he responsible for the disappointment last year was in particular the nightmare at Bankwest?
There is a legitimate argument to be made that Broncos may have the 2 best forwards in the game in Payne Haas and David Fifita but are the Broncos too reliant on them, what players need to step up with these 2 young forwards?
The player with the most pressure on them is?
Player not many people have heard of to have biggest impact.
What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?
Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?
In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Broncos winning the Premiership, if so how?

Firstly, these are pretty decent questions for a general pre-season review, and good man (or woman) for doing your homework.

1 - Team cohesion - last year we were a team of individuals, which made for some occasionally good highlights, but overall pretty frustrating to watch. We need to lay our foundations a bit better and defense, Ruck control (basically what BP spike about) will follow.

2 - Every Bronco Fan wants Darius to do well, even if we unanimously hate him. Hopefully being stripped of captaincy will relieve the pressure - but he is skating on thin ice

3 - I feel Croft was a victim of circumstance at Storm. We might have a very different Brodie from the one we have seen, and if we don’t we have Dearden in waiting who I believe will be a proper weapon - but he needs another year or two to develop - either way, a better position than last year no complaints

4 - See BP post

5 - stretch to call Haas and Fifita the best forwards, best young/ up and coming forwards perhaps - but there are plenty of guys out there with more runs on the board and proven consistency. It wouldn’t surprise me to see both of those guys suffer from second year syndrome ... well, maybe not Haas lol

6 - Boyd - nuff said , Macca - could already be on the out , Milford - isn’t playing to his price tag, Offahengaue - the weak link in forward pack (although his stats are weirdly good considering he seems pretty invisible watching live)

7 - Perese has the potential to break the comp open. Check his stats from QCUP last year they’re gooooood. Hard question though it’s essentially a gamble, safe bet is Xavier Coates although his defense is suspect. Again he could do with another year in Q Cup

8 - Top 4 & Preliminary Finals would be a pass for me. However , if they came 6th and were playing really silky football - that would also be a pass. If they put in a repeat performance , disjointed and ugly to watch - fail. Missing 8 fail.

9 - Haas/TPJ and Jack Bird/Isaako

10 - between 4 & 6, still a bit young and inexperienced . We won’t win the premiership this year, no. Lay more foundations for big push in 2021

Thank you you everyone who has contributed, it’s really appreciated . Anymore you guys want to add feel free to do so.

Active Now

• jd87
  • cento
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  • kman
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • Foordy
  • unnerv1ng
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.