Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herbie is a quality al round athlete . I have observed Herbie coming through the ranks at North Devils and spoken to Herbie and his uncle and mentor on many occasions. Herbie continues to impressed me as he has so much to offer and so much development in him. I do think his recent contest with Gagai was interesting as usual Herbie never took a backward step and fired into Gagai all evening. Such a full back move should not occur overnight, a good pre season of game related scenarios and decision making plus a few games under his belt, I do feel that Herbie has all the attributes to develop into a very good full back. we have seen glimpses of his kicking game, two hand carries and the ability to lock the ball up either side and step off both feet. Herbie's hybrid athleticism endurance and speed would adapt well to the physical demands of FB. The linkage and passing game will also develop in time for Herbies effort will always be 100%

We've got 1 year for the Herbie experiment... yes we're doing well now but I don't think anyone thinks we're going to seriously challenge for the premiership this year.

The sooner we finalise our spine moving forward, the better we'll be next year and the year after which is realistically when our premiership window will be at its widest. Keeping things the same now just so we can all feel better about finishing in the top 8 is nice, but realistically its sacrificing valuable time that our future spine could be playing and developing together.

I'd rather the short term pain for long term gain.

Kevvie proved to me that he knows who is and isn’t up for fullback by not switching Selwyn to fullback, he had that game in the trial and the basic defensive effort plays weren’t there.

I think Herbie could be a fullback, he’d need to work on his passing game though and probably needs a pre-season as well. If Herbie got moved to fullback and he stank it up deluxe, I can imagine the backlash. He’s doing some really good things for us in the centres at the moment, there’s been a few games this year where he’s nearly been the best player on the ground for us.

We've got 1 year for the Herbie experiment... yes we're doing well now but I don't think anyone thinks we're going to seriously challenge for the premiership this year.

The sooner we finalise our spine moving forward, the better we'll be next year and the year after which is realistically when our premiership window will be at its widest. Keeping things the same now just so we can all feel better about finishing in the top 8 is nice, but realistically its sacrificing valuable time that our future spine could be playing and developing together.

I'd rather the short term pain for long term gain.
I'd rather they stay as they are and allow the structures to be bedded down. Another huge plus is making the eight allows many of these young guys to experience finals footy intensity. It also allows the coaching staff to observe and identify any shortcomings our team might have when under those conditions. Better to identify those weaknesses now and take steps to eradicate them before it becomes crucial.

The short term pain for long term gain has to be critically balanced so as not to fall back into losing ways which can stagnate or even regress the teams development.

I'd rather they stay as they are and allow the structures to be bedded down. Another huge plus is making the eight allows many of these young guys to experience finals footy intensity. It also allows the coaching staff to observe and identify any shortcomings our team might have when under those conditions. Better to identify those weaknesses now and take steps to eradicate them before it becomes crucial.

The short term pain for long term gain has to be critically balanced so as not to fall back into losing ways which can stagnate or even regress the teams development.

Understand the perspective, but can't say I agree. I'd rather take the potential growing pains now if we believe Herbie is worth trialling at fullback so that we're in the best position possible by the start of next year. Having some success this year just to then throw it all out and start from scratch with a new spine next season seems a worse proposition to me.

This is, of course, if the club views Herbie as a potential long term 1... Certainly not a foregone conclusion. All we heard all off-season is how Cobbo is our future fullback. Maybe the Broncos have told Herbie he's not in their fullback plans, that he can stay 12 months as a centre then go to the Dolphins after seeing how they fare in their first year. Just because he wants to play FB doesn't mean the club wants him to or he will. Cotric, JAC and Allen all went to Canterbury to play fullback, and none of them did.

I'm not sold on Farnworth being a good FB for us, I think he'll bust his guts but whether that's enough I'm not sure.

Ive always been vocal of Herbie to fullback. He has the speed and strength and i believe could be one of the games best currently at it. He is a perfect athlete and footballer for that position.

This would also require us to have 6/7 sorted, because Herbie steaming up the middle running off the back of them could really slice up teams. His passing and outside man awareness will need to be developed.

Will he be better than TMM there? yes. Is Cobbo ready for centre? no. Can TMM move to 6 yet? maybe.

Understand the perspective, but can't say I agree. I'd rather take the potential growing pains now if we believe Herbie is worth trialling at fullback so that we're in the best position possible by the start of next year. Having some success this year just to then throw it all out and start from scratch with a new spine next season seems a worse proposition to me.

This is, of course, if the club views Herbie as a potential long term 1... Certainly not a foregone conclusion. All we heard all off-season is how Cobbo is our future fullback. Maybe the Broncos have told Herbie he's not in their fullback plans, that he can stay 12 months as a centre then go to the Dolphins after seeing how they fare in their first year. Just because he wants to play FB doesn't mean the club wants him to or he will. Cotric, JAC and Allen all went to Canterbury to play fullback, and none of them did.
It's good we can disagree cordially.

I have to say though I think making the eight this year will prove to be a huge bonus for us in the long term.

The younger guys in the team need that sort of gratification to continue on with their hard work. Times have changed as have the modern players' ideas of success.

Patience is almost a dirty word nowadays.

Kevvie proved to me that he knows who is and isn’t up for fullback by not switching Selwyn to fullback, he had that game in the trial and the basic defensive effort plays weren’t there.

I think Herbie could be a fullback, he’d need to work on his passing game though and probably needs a pre-season as well. If Herbie got moved to fullback and he stank it up deluxe, I can imagine the backlash. He’s doing some really good things for us in the centres at the moment, there’s been a few games this year where he’s nearly been the best player on the ground for us.

I think he was recovering from COVID .
He was puffing hard after 5 minutes . He looks a lot fitter lately .

So like Papy ?
Only better ?
Papenhuyzen is more likely to chime into the backline, pass the ball and support from centre field. He scores a lot of tries that way. Whereas Herbie tends to charge at the defensive line and hit it up. He will need to iron that out of his game.

I'm happy with Te Maire at 1, at least for now.

Papenhuyzen is more likely to chime into the backline, pass the ball and support from centre field. He scores a lot of tries that way. Whereas Herbie tends to charge at the defensive line and hit it up. He will need to iron that out of his game.

Being FB would give more choices than the hit up on tackle 2 or hoping that Capewell or Gambler give him some space . I think one on one with kick chasers he will bust tackles . We now know he can pass . And that left foot step is an imposing weapon .

I am interested to see this week`s team ...

I'm not wanting to change anything this year, we clearly have a team that when on song, can match it with anyone. We don't have the consistency yet that Penrith does but we do have an extremely enthusiastic bunch of kids and a maestro pulling the strings at 7. Keep Reynolds fit (easier said than done I suppose), we are definitely a contender. If origin screws us with injuries (which could definitely happen) and we fall off a cliff, than sure, try some things then.

Herbie is a quality al round athlete . I have observed Herbie coming through the ranks at North Devils and spoken to Herbie and his uncle and mentor on many occasions. Herbie continues to impressed me as he has so much to offer and so much development in him. I do think his recent contest with Gagai was interesting as usual Herbie never took a backward step and fired into Gagai all evening. Such a full back move should not occur overnight, a good pre season of game related scenarios and decision making plus a few games under his belt, I do feel that Herbie has all the attributes to develop into a very good full back. we have seen glimpses of his kicking game, two hand carries and the ability to lock the ball up either side and step off both feet. Herbie's hybrid athleticism endurance and speed would adapt well to the physical demands of FB. The linkage and passing game will also develop in time for Herbies effort will always be 100%

Totally agree with this. I know Herbie not passing is a meme, but for the most part he hasnt been given a lot of space and is working on his weaker side. Give him, time space and options and I think you'll see a premier passing game from him.

If he can pick up the defensive organization from TMM, then you have a top tier full back about to bloom.

Legit dying to see Herbie in the 1.

Totally agree with this. I know Herbie not passing is a meme, but for the most part he hasnt been given a lot of space and is working on his weaker side. Give him, time space and options and I think you'll see a premier passing game from him.

If he can pick up the defensive organization from TMM, then you have a top tier full back about to bloom.

Legit dying to see Herbie in the 1.
No, it's real, and you can see it by watching any game. And it's not just a few of us who've been saying it. Read the comments here:

That said, he has made a marked effort to be more "inclusive" in his last couple of matches. Enough that I'm off his case, but not enough that I would rate his passing game as anything above basic skills.

I get the enthusiasm to move him to fullback based on his work-rate, but it's wishful thinking to presume he'll develop elite game management skills overnight, if ever. You have to assume first, what you've already seen with Herbie is what you'll get. And that's a solid defender, who won't drop the ball, but prefers to hit it up than distribute it.

Maybe giving Herbie some more open space would be a revelation and he'll repay us in crossing the line more often, but I would expect to lose the savvy little backline plays we've been seeing from Te Maire.

I'm not averse to the idea of giving Herbie a run there. But fullback really isn't broken right now. Unless Te Maire's hip is giving him too much gyp. In which case, sure go for it. Just don't expect a miracle.

ooh I remember those convos, Tate to FB in 06.

I have said since 2019 his strength is running and scoots exactly the same as Tate. I get he might have some desire to move and test himself and maybe you could facilitate it one day to see but I like him in the centres or wing.

I have said since 2019 his strength is running and scoots exactly the same as Tate. I get he might have some desire to move and test himself and maybe you could facilitate it one day to see but I like him in the centres or wing.
I loved Taters and his resilience/determination. Don't have the same level of affection for Herbie but if he reaches Taters level then we've got a good 'un

Hopefully he doesn't do his knee in front of me, as Tate did in Origin 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Mister Wright
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.