NEWS Historic 11-A-Side fixture

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'm starting a new thread, so this doesn't get buried in the pre-game thread ...

The Courier Mail is reporting that Seibs and Holbrook are organizing a double header of sorts for Saturday. the fringe players from both clubs will take part in an 11-a-side match as a curtain raiser to the main game. they are doing this because of a lack of game time for the fringe players due to the cancellation of the ISC due to COVID-19 pandemic

Carrigan and Flegler are also expected to take part since it isn't a sanction NRL fixture

some other notes about the fixture:
  • The field size will be reduced by 10m due to there being 2 fewer players per team
  • game time will be 45 mins instead of usual 80 mins
quotes from Seibold:

“We haven‘t quite got the numbers for 13-a-side so we are playing with 11 and bringing the field in 10 metres,” Seibold said.

“It will be full contact but there will be no scrums, it will be a training scrimmage between the two teams.

“We won‘t have penalty goal or conversions, but there will be a referee. The first half will be 25 minutes, then we will have a break and play 20 minutes in the second half.

“Justin and myself spoke about it the other day and came up with some rules. It‘s not an NRL-sanctioned game so we can make up whatever rules we like.

“We are trying to make it as close to an NRL game as we can.

“We don‘t have Intrust Super Cup at the moment so it’s important we give the fringe guys some sort of football.”

I like it. But positionally won't there be a glut of middle forwards? Are the teams well distributed between playmakers and forwards etc.? At least they can run around and handle the ball and take/make some tackles.

I like it. But positionally won't there be a glut of middle forwards? Are the teams well distributed between playmakers and forwards etc.? At least they can run around and handle the ball and take/make some tackles.
I guess it doesn't really matter as far as a result is concerned. It's just something to keep the fringe players busy and have a little show for the crowd. We might end up getting thrashed but it would still be worth it so long as everyone takes the result with a grain of salt.

Given our injury toll, I’m surprised we can even field a team of 11. I assume some interchanges as well.

Bit of a joke that clubs are having to organize this by themselves.... it's been flagged as an issue since the apollo team started

I'm thinking that poor Tommy Deardon misses out again. He's the one Siebs wants to get game time, but he'll miss this game so that he can maybe get 10 or 15 minutes off the bench for the main game. Canny take a trick at the mo bro.

I'm thinking that poor Tommy Deardon misses out again. He's the one Siebs wants to get game time, but he'll miss this game so that he can maybe get 10 or 15 minutes off the bench for the main game. Canny take a trick at the mo bro.
at the moment, I'd rather he play in a real first grade than a pretend 11 a side game. I'm not dishing that, but if you have an important player in the spine that may soon be called upon to play first grade wouldn't you rather he felt a little of the pressure that may soon be upon his shoulders or play in a nothing game that no-one will remember?
Holding up in a contest is as important as physical fitness. I'm hoping he has both, but he can always find that going forward. If he can't handle a pressure situation? Well, everyone seems confident he can.
Not only that, but getting used to the new rule interpretations will be in his favour going forward.

Here's a thought. Why not play him in both? He'll have plenty of time to rest for the main game on the bench provided no one else gets injured.

Here's a thought. Why not play him in both? He'll have plenty of time to rest for the main game on the bench provided no one else gets injured.
I'd suspect the length of time between fixtures, including him sitting on the bench for likely the first hour (plus halftime) of the main game make this very hard to do in terms of keeping him warmed up and ready to get on the field.

Love the idea.

This gives the fringe players some game time to build up match fitness and allows Flegler and Carrigan to keep their fitness up.

Injuries are a risk, but they are also a risk at training as well. That's just part of the game.

I'd suspect the length of time between fixtures, including him sitting on the bench for likely the first hour (plus halftime) of the main game make this very hard to do in terms of keeping him warmed up and ready to get on the field.
Back in the day they used to take two reserves from the reserve game onto the bench for the main game and that seemed to work OK.

You know they’ll give you run metres, so whichever middle forward has the most TA, LBA and kick metres on top of that, chuck him in the NRL team at 6 next week!
[automerge]1593126759[/automerge]
Not being an NRL sanctioned match, how many suspensions are we expecting?

Last edited:
Any chance of it being televised (streamed)?

Last edited:
Back in the day they used to take two reserves from the reserve game onto the bench for the main game and that seemed to work OK.

That's true but its hardly the same game as it was back then. A lot of the players in those days weren't even full time footballers. The current product is much quicker.

The last thing we want to do is introduce more risk into the side by playing Dearden in a glorified training run when he is in the main 17. Imagine him picking up a slight strain in the early game and then having to come on for Croft in the first minute due to a HIA, its just not worth it.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Skathen
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  • BroncosAlways
  • Strop
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Foordy
  • lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Mustafur
  • Financeguy
  • Swordfish
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.