Hodges the coach....

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I just saw vision on 360 of Hodgo giving the QLD side a quality spray in the sheds @ HT. I tell you what, he didn't look out of place. Lets be honest he isn't at his best when he's on TV, but if the players respect him and understand even half of what he's saying, judging by the Maroons second half and how good we were playing during the years of his captaincy, I dunno man. Maybe he's the man for someone like the Titans or Bulldogs who seem to be just about fed up with their coaches.

I just saw vision on 360 of Hodgo giving the QLD side a quality spray in the sheds @ HT. I tell you what, he didn't look out of place. Lets be honest he isn't at his best when he's on TV, but if the players respect him and understand even half of what he's saying, judging by the Maroons second half and how good we were playing during the years of his captaincy, I dunno man. Maybe he's the man for someone like the Titans or Bulldogs who seem to be just about fed up with their coaches.

**** that, get him at the Broncos

It is a direction he has been heading toward with coaching the under 20's Qld origin side. He also made a hell of a captain in 2015. Hell he was one second and a lame ass tackle away by McCoullough and Blair from winning the GF. Nobody but nobody wanted to be on the receiving end of a Hodges spray.

Last edited:
It is a direction he has been heading toward with coaching the under 20's Qld origin side. He also made a hell of a captain in 2015. Hell he was one second and a lame ass tackle away by McCoullough and Blair from winning the GF. Nobody but nobody wanted to be on the receiving end of a Hodges spray.

Got the tap on the shoulder a year too early imo. Was still at the very top of his game.

Got the tap on the shoulder a year too early imo. Was still at the very top of his game.
Still, better retire a year too early rather than a year too late (or 3 years in boyds case)

Not sure if he did retire too early to be fair. His body was shot, in fact we were told from about 2013 onwards that he would likely miss every 2nd or 3rd game in order to manage his back/hamstring issues. The fact that we got 17 & 20 games out of him in '14 & '15 was borderline miraculous. He would have left nothing in the tank and went balls-out in '15, it's questionable whether he would have been able to have the same impact if he was stringing it out further, or whether he would have just snapped something else and that was it.

There was a sharp dip in sticky tape shares that coincided with Hodges retirment. He had to be managed very carefully last few years, from memory was getting regular rests outside the Origin period. Not sure how much his body had left in it when he retired.

In terms of Hodgo retiring too early I tend to disagree. I love Hodgo and outside of D Lockyer he is my favourite player but the time was right. His body was done and he deserved to go out on top not to be retired through injury or similar. Yes he was still playing top shelf footy when he retired but we only need to look at Boyd to see how it can all fall off a cliff very quickly.

I am a big subscriber of going a year to early rather than a year too late.

He'll probably go the Titans under Kevin when they inevitable sack Garth Brennan.

I dunno how he is as a coach, love his as a player, but his commentary is pretty awful. So anything to get him and Anasta out of that role, lol?

Maybe. Jeez I'd love to see him coach the Broncos one day though.

Yep, me too. Let him do an apprenticeship somewhere else for a few years, he might be ready to step up when we next have a vacancy...

I thought it was Oates who came in off his wing and let that last try in.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Big Del
  • Bongo
  • ozzball
  • Culhwch
  • Lurker
  • Financeguy
  • Tim K
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.