NEWS Hoeter ‘appreciative and grateful’ for Broncos opportunity

dela.jpg

Hoeter ‘appreciative and grateful’ for Broncos opportunity​

Jorja Brinums
Wed 15th December, 2021

Wynnum Manly Seagulls weapon Delouise Hoeter is training hard with the Brisbane Broncos this pre-season, eager to impress and re-join the NRL.

The 27-year-old centre, who made his NRL debut for Wests Tigers in 2015, said he was "appreciative and grateful" for the opportunity to prove he was up for the challenge during a train-and-trial deal with the Broncos.

"It's really good... it's really tough, but I love being back in this environment," Hoeter said, adding the game had come a long way since his last NRL pre-season.

Hoeter, who narrowly missed winning centre of the year in the 2021 Intrust Super Cup Team of the Year, said his drive to excel had also magnified.

"It's huge... everyone playing rugby league obviously does it for the love of the game, and the aim is to play NRL, so, hopefully I can test myself and get back in to the system," Hoeter said.

"I'm really appreciative and grateful for the Broncos being able to give me this opportunity that could be a big stepping stone to possibly getting back into the NRL."

Hoeter said his time at the Tigers didn't work out the way he hoped, but he had played for some excellent Hostplus Cup sides since in Wynnum Manly, Norths Devils and Townsville Blackhawks, and he was better for the experience.

The dad-of-two, currently rehabbing a low grade MCL strain he sustained two weeks ago, said he loved the culture at the Broncos and the passion coach Kevin Walters had for the game.

"We really get around each other to make sure we all get through," Hoeter said.

"Kevie is really good. You can tell he's really passionate about where the Broncos are headed… their future at the moment looks really bright.

"They have the team to make it. Like Kevie says, we've just got to lay the bricks in the foundation during pre-season, for a good season ahead. Kevie’s passion rubs off on the team and helps to motivate us to be the best team that we can be."

The Tonga international said the whole team had been really good to him since he started his train-and-trial at the beginning of November.

"I'm sharing a locker with Keenan Palasia. Keenan has been really good to me, looked after me, helped me out whenever I've needed it," Hoeter said.

"A lot of the boys, they want to learn and they want to help, so whenever there's something I need to try and be better at, they really help me.

"I've been trying to work on being able to move and get to certain places where I need to be. I'm trying to test myself going up against Kotoni Staggs a lot because he's the best centre in the competition when he's on. I really like to test myself against him because he 's in that top tier of centres in the NRL.

"Everyone is really helpful. Kotoni with footy, Adam Reynolds with his knowledge of the game and Patty Carrigan has pushed me a lot."

Hoeter said as well as the Broncos, he was confident Wynnum Manly would have a stellar 2022, after making the Cup grand finals in 2020 and 2021.

"I'm really excited. We've got a lot of new faces coming into the squad that are really positive for our group," Hoeter said.

"If we keep the culture the same, just work together, I'm pretty sure we can be in the top Cup teams like we have been for the past couple of years.”

Hoeter reinforced he would love to be at the Broncos next year.

"In 2022 I'd like to be in the Top 30 squad with the Broncos. It's the team that I follow and I've loved watching them as a fan. Now training with them, possibly having the chance to play with them, is amazing,” Hoeter said.

"In 2022 I just really want to work on being the best player that I can be and sort out a Plan B for after footy, whenever that may be."

QRL

Active Now

• jarro65
  • FACTHUNT
  • Splinter
  • Thelmus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fatboy
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Harry Sack
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.