Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
TL;DR: Hang 'em up, Darius.

How each player who Anthony Seibold inherited has gone in 2019

Chris Honnery,
The Courier-Mail
August 22, 2019 5:46pm

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh...timely assessment of the squad i feel...

Looking at it, i still believe we haven't yet decided full time lock yet....hard to imagine us going back to TPJ there so its a straight up fight between Carra, Flegs and Joffa....i dont believe there is a clear and automatic winner there....someone who is head and shoulders above the rest...

yeh...timely assessment of the squad i feel...

Looking at it, i still believe we haven't yet decided full time lock yet....hard to imagine us going back to TPJ there so its a straight up fight between Carra, Flegs and Joffa....i dont believe there is a clear and automatic winner there....someone who is head and shoulders above the rest...

Flegler shouldn't even be in contention for lock. Joffa should be given first crack at it imo, but it's going to be Carrigans spot. He is inevitable.

Flegler shouldn't even be in contention for lock. Joffa should be given first crack at it imo, but it's going to be Carrigans spot. He is inevitable.
Nup, I think it's Carrigan's now. He is going from strength to strength and looks suited to lock. Might not be able to play a full 80 just yet but it won't be long until he can.

Nup, I think it's Carrigan's now. He is going from strength to strength and looks suited to lock. Might not be able to play a full 80 just yet but it won't be long until he can.

Just on the 80 minutes thing, I don't think we need middle forwards to play the full 80. We've got a lot of quality ones, so the best ones playing 50-60 at higher intensity should be better IMO.

The only exception might be Haas, he's far and away the best we have, and if he keeps going from strength to strength, then we'll probably want him playing more minutes over time (as long as he doesn't burn out over the season).

Id compare one of the benchmarks for middle forwards, Manly, as a good yardstick for comparison myself. Looking solely at run metres gained;

Taupau - 3203
Fonua-Blake - 2800
Turbo Jake - 2598

Total = 8601 metres

Haas - 3106
Lodge - 2897
Carrigan - 1309

Total = 7312 metres

Swap Carra with Flegler

Flegler - 1455

Total with Flegler = 7458 metres

Swap Flegs with Joffa

Joffa - 2174

Total with Joffa = 8177 metres

Not scientific at all but purely informational....i regard the Manly three as a benchmark this year and we arent too far away with Joffa purely in terms of run metres gained...

We can dive deeper though if you really want...

Id compare one of the benchmarks for middle forwards, Manly, as a good yardstick for comparison myself. Looking solely at run metres gained;

Taupau - 3203
Fonua-Blake - 2800
Turbo Jake - 2598

Total = 8601 metres

Haas - 3106
Lodge - 2897
Carrigan - 1309

Total = 7312 metres

Swap Carra with Flegler

Flegler - 1455

Total with Flegler = 7458 metres

Swap Flegs with Joffa

Joffa - 2174

Total with Joffa = 8177 metres

Not scientific at all but purely informational....i regard the Manly three as a benchmark this year and we arent too far away with Joffa purely in terms of run metres gained...

We can dive deeper though if you really want...
Minutes played really important with run metres IMO

We aren't doing too badly with Joffa but pretty good still with 3 rookies if you include Carrigan, who didn't play the first 4 or 5 games, Haas and Flegler who have missed games as well.

Last edited:
We aren't doing too badly with Joffa but pretty good still with 3 rookies if you include Carrigan, who didn't play the first 4 or 5 games, Haas and Flegler who have missed games as well.

agreed....spot on with those comments...

Jamayne Isaako
The talented winger has had an up and down season through form and personal reasons. Last year’s Dally M Rookie of the Year had a slow start to the season and has been shifted out to the wing. He is averaging more running metres and more try assists this year compared to last year though.

Umm, did I miss something?

Minutes played really important with run metres IMO

dont have the average minutes played at hand but a bit deeper dive on Flegs, Carra and Joffa shows the following

Flegler; 2019 season (19 appearances)
Tackle efficiency - 92.8%
avg run metres - 76.6 metres
avg hit-ups - 6.7 hit ups
tackle breaks - 19

Carrigan; 2019 season (15 appearances)
Tackle efficiency - 89.7%
avg run metres - 87.3 metres
avg hit-ups - 8.5 hit ups
tackle breaks - 11

Ofanhengaue; 2019 season (18 appearances)
Tackle efficiency - 91.1%
avg run metres - 120.8
avg hit-ups - 11.4
tackle breaks - 33

dont have the average minutes played at hand but a bit deeper dive on Flegs, Carra and Joffa shows the following

Flegler; 2019 season (19 appearances)
Tackle efficiency - 92.8%
avg run metres - 76.6 metres
avg hit-ups - 6.7 hit ups
tackle breaks - 19

Carrigan; 2019 season (15 appearances)
Tackle efficiency - 89.7%
avg run metres - 87.3 metres
avg hit-ups - 8.5 hit ups
tackle breaks - 11

Ofanhengaue; 2019 season (18 appearances)
Tackle efficiency - 91.1%
avg run metres - 120.8
avg hit-ups - 11.4
tackle breaks - 33
Just backs up everyone saying offa is a important part of this pack , and to those who want to punt him ??? But a great rotation no the less, plus they will all get better.

Absolute rubbish about Alex Glenn
He has been one of our best this year hands down

I've long had a peeve with tackle efficiency, it really should be tackle efficacy or effectiveness.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.