NEWS How Seibold has reformed Broncos

Sure, I made reference to it possibly being written off as the usual bs the "journalists" spin. But at the same time if he had a burning desire to be a Bronco he could have stayed here instead of buggering off to Townsville. At the end of the day I'm happy to wait and see what he actually does, but the guy's actions so far don't give a lot of confidence that he'd come here for anything other than top dollar. We'll see in the long run.
I would say at the moment Kalyn is at minimum a million dollar player when you consider his talent and age.

So what would be deemed top dollar in those circumstances, because I can't see him coming here for $800k.

Also I believe the the "journos" went with around $1.5m per season, which is a bit much in the current climate, but if the cap goes up there may be room for a $1.5m player and he would be near the top of the list in terms of getting it.

I would say at the moment Kalyn is at minimum a million dollar player when you consider his talent and age.

So what would be deemed top dollar in those circumstances, because I can't see him coming here for $800k.

Also I believe the the "journos" went with around $1.5m per season, which is a bit much in the current climate, but if the cap goes up there may be room for a $1.5m player and he would be near the top of the list in terms of getting it.

he won't come here for 800k ... but he also isn't a million dollar player yet

Ponga received the reputation because not only was he entertaining offers from rival clubs while at the Cowboys, but from other codes as well. He was close to signing with the AFL before Newcastle offered him a guaranteed four year deal worth $3.2 Million. That deal in retrospect sounds 'just right' for Ponga but considering he had only just made his first grade debut two months prior, it rubbed people the wrong way that he just jumped on the biggest offer as soon as he could.

Ponga also has ambitions to play for the All Blacks so clubs are wary of his commitment.

Sure, I made reference to it possibly being written off as the usual bs the "journalists" spin. But at the same time if he had a burning desire to be a Bronco he could have stayed here instead of buggering off to Townsville. At the end of the day I'm happy to wait and see what he actually does, but the guy's actions so far don't give a lot of confidence that he'd come here for anything other than top dollar. We'll see in the long run.
He

He started off with us though didn't he? And left to the Cows? Presumably for more money.
I think that move to Townsville was family related. There is talk of his father now being his manager, leveraging Rugby and asking for more money mid contract. It could all be speculation and as I said in my original post it is is his right to do this and I don't begrudge him. I just don't want to pay the top end for him because I don't think it's best move for the club. I made this comment in relation to it being an unrealistic move due to the finances required to get him, which is also speculation. I wasn't expecting this to overtake the thread.

Last edited:
Well realistically he came from Rugby, but he had a scholarship with us and then the Cowboys offered him a full time contract.

You can consider it a 'mercenary' move to accept a full time job and the financial security that comes with that, when you currently have basically the real world equivalent of a work experience arrangement at your current workplace, but I think personally that would be pretty reasonable decision by most people's standards.
We offered him a contract as well. He chose the Cowboys. He had family up there I think. It was the Newcastle move and after I was referring.

he won't come here for 800k ... but he also isn't a million dollar player yet
In the current climate he is a million dollar player.... just because you think he isn't worth a million doesn't mean teams wouldn't throw a million at him, especially when you compare him to Milf, Bhunt, Ash, SJ, Moylan, etc. who are all around that mark presently

In the current climate he is a million dollar player.... just because you think he isn't worth a million doesn't mean teams wouldn't throw a million at him, especially when you compare him to Milf, Bhunt, Ash, SJ, Moylan, etc. who are all around that mark presently

there are always desperate teams willing to throw overs at players ... getting into a bidding war with them ***** your cap and will only see you at the bottom of the ladder.

Ash Taylor is a perfect example ... Titans paid $1 million a season for a guy who potentially could be worth that someday ... hows that working out for them.

No disrespect, just my opinion, but I don't think he is at that level yet. He drifts in out of games and sometimes looks plain disinterested. His very best form warrants it, but he is not there consistently enough to justify that price tag.

No disrespect, just my opinion, but I don't think he is at that level yet. He drifts in out of games and sometimes looks plain disinterested. His very best form warrants it, but he is not there consistently enough to justify that price tag.

Yeah this.

When I think of a $1.5 million player I think of someone that you can always rely on in the clutch moments, someone that can deliver consistently and doesn’t drift in and out of games as much as he does. He doesn’t provide that yet and he wouldn’t because despite being talented and having a lot of potential he is still inexperienced and has a lot to work on.

He will be there one day. He has a crazy amount of potential but he isn’t there yet and at the moment it would be fucking crazy giving him $1.5 million.

Are players even on 1.5 mill yet?

Anyone know what Smith or Cronks price tag is/was?

there are always desperate teams willing to throw overs at players ... getting into a bidding war with them ***** your cap and will only see you at the bottom of the ladder.

Ash Taylor is a perfect example ... Titans paid $1 million a season for a guy who potentially could be worth that someday ... hows that working out for them.
Hard to compare Taylor to Ponga. Ponga is already proven at a pretty elite level, even if not as consistently as the very best, he's certainly shown he has all the necessary ability and his career appears on very much an upward trajectory.

I'd be nervous at 1.5 million, but I think somewhere between 1-1.5 million is realistically what he'll get for his next deal, and if we paid the bottom end of that range, I definitely wouldn't consider it overs. I think it has a huge potential to turn out like getting hold of Thurston back in 2005.

Last edited:
Ponga is definitely ahead of Taylor in the 'what have they proven' stakes, but Ponga still to me has a lot to do before I view him as proven elite. Proven elite brings to mind Locky, JT, Cam Smith, Cronk, Slater.

Sure Ponga's best is up there with the very best, but to be proven elite and worthy of over a million a season, you need more than incredible talent, you need the ability to produce consistently.

Ponga is definitely ahead of Taylor in the 'what have they proven' stakes, but Ponga still to me has a lot to do before I view him as proven elite. Proven elite brings to mind Locky, JT, Cam Smith, Cronk, Slater.

Sure Ponga's best is up there with the very best, but to be proven elite and worthy of over a million a season, you need more than incredible talent, you need the ability to produce consistently.
This is all fair and true, but it sort of misses the realities of the NRL player market.

Yes, the very best elite players can command top level deals, but usually those deals are to retain a superstar and only rarely do we see absolute elite players changing clubs. The reason for this is that the cost is simply prohibitive in just about every case.

Even a Lockyer or a Cronk at $1.5 million plus in today's market would be a risky prospect for any club to weigh up. So much invested in one player, even an elite on, is a huge roll of the dice.

So if we want to possess a genuinely elite talent without blowing our cap to pieces, we really only have two options:

1) Grow our own/Recruit them out of school - Payne Haas, David Fifita etc

2) Offer them good money to leave their current club before they really hit the elite level.

The first option is great if you can make it happen, but the second option requires a big leap of faith and we do of course see clubs get burnt by this strategy regularly. That's why if it's a path we choose to go down we need to be extremely discerning in who we offer these sort of deals to.

Whether Ponga is worthy of an offer like this or not is subjective to each person's opinion, but the truth is, if we don't recruit him right now for a big, realistic ($1 million dollar plus) deal now, the only way we're ever going to get him will be when we pay enormous overs (probably $2 million dollars plus) next time he's up for renewal, and that's the point where clubs really do risk paying overs.

It's a gamble, no doubt about it, but success is built on getting these kinds of gambles right and if we never make them, we never get them wrong, but we also never ever get them right either.

We got it right with Haas.
This is all fair and true, but it sort of misses the realities of the NRL player market.

Yes, the very best elite players can command top level deals, but usually those deals are to retain a superstar and only rarely do we see absolute elite players changing clubs. The reason for this is that the cost is simply prohibitive in just about every case.

Even a Lockyer or a Cronk at $1.5 million plus in today's market would be a risky prospect for any club to weigh up. So much invested in one player, even an elite on, is a huge roll of the dice.

So if we want to possess a genuinely elite talent without blowing our cap to pieces, we really only have two options:

1) Grow our own/Recruit them out of school - Payne Haas, David Fifita etc

2) Offer them good money to leave their current club before they really hit the elite level.

The first option is great if you can make it happen, but the second option requires a big leap of faith and we do of course see clubs get burnt by this strategy regularly. That's why if it's a path we choose to go down we need to be extremely discerning in who we offer these sort of deals to.

Whether Ponga is worthy of an offer like this or not is subjective to each person's opinion, but the truth is, if we don't recruit him right now for a big, realistic ($1 million dollar plus) deal now, the only way we're ever going to get him will be when we pay enormous overs (probably $2 million dollars plus) next time he's up for renewal, and that's the point where clubs really do risk paying overs.

It's a gamble, no doubt about it, but success is built on getting these kinds of gambles right and if we never make them, we never get them wrong, but we also never ever get them right either.

I don't want players who just care about getting the biggest contract possible.
I want players that want to play for the Broncos, that want to build something, and are happy being being paid well - but not worrying about being paid the 'most'.

Completely agree but i wonder do these players even exist anymore?

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • LGH
  • Johnny92
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • peter09
  • Aldo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.