How this season compares

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
A decade of Broncos at the end Round 6, and how we finished the season at round 25:

YEARRND 6DIFFRND 25COACH
201014th-4310thHenjak
20112nd793rdGriffin
20122nd448thGriffin
20137th1612thGriffin
20148th118thGriffin
20151st222ndBennett
20161st625thBennett
20177th273rdBennett
20188th-246thBennett
201914th-348thSeibold
202014th-99???Seibold

Last edited:
Griffin comes in and immediately improves the team to a 3rd place finish.
Bennett comes in and immediately improves the team to a 2nd place finish and GF appearance.
Seibold comes in and immediately makes us listen to techno music at training.

To each their own I suppose.

Bennett comes in and immediately improves the team to a 2nd place finish and GF appearance.

Well our worst finnish over that period was 12th.
I'd say we are a chance to go worse than that this year.

2018 was a pretty tough year for Bennett, apart from coaching: the Broncos admin had the press attacking him hoping to drive him out of his contract; he split up with his mistress; and he was dealing with this, which was never mentioned:

"As the Broncos board moved to authorise White's search for a viable replacement, few knew of the personal hardships Bennett was enduring. Reluctant to impose any further pressure on his players, Bennett chose to suffer in silence. There was the time Bennett's disabled son, Justin, suffered eight seizures in one night. Bennett didn't sleep a wink. Bennett had a mattress brought into his office for his son. Justin took four pills daily, the dosage so heavy it could leave him dazed and on the brink of passing out. On the days Justin would visit Red Hill, he would sometimes crash, falling asleep at his father's feet as Bennett worked on Brisbane's game plans with assistant Jason Demetriou."

Last edited:
Certainly not good reading for Seibold and far from acceptable, results were certainly on the slide from 2016, its worrying that a club with its resources just hasn't been able to stop that slide, let alone turn it around.

*EDIT*
In fairness Seibold has had a fair bit of turmoil and challenges in his 1 and half years but it's also worrying that its pretty hard to find any positives with how the team is playing at the moment.

A decade of Broncos at the end Round 6, and how we finished the season at round 25:

YEARRND 6DIFFRND 25COACH
201014th-4310thHenjak
20112nd793rdGriffin
20122nd448thGriffin
20137th1612thGriffin
20148th118thGriffin
20151st222ndBennett
20161st625thBennett
20177th273rdBennett
20188th-246thBennett
201914th-348thSeibold
202014th-99???Seibold

Last edited:
Certainly not good reading for Seibold and far from acceptable, results were certainly on the slide from 2016, its worrying that a club with its resources just hasn't been able to stop that slide, let alone turn it around.

Well, I think it's a bit premature to suggest failure after 6 rounds of the second season of rebuilding an entire team by a new coach with so many young and inexperienced players.

Having said that, it is worrying that key experienced players need rockets up their collective bums

I'm waiting for our best side on the paddock with a few games under its belt before I make meaningful comparisons and without any agendas

Exactly.

What's with people mentioning "It's a little premature to suggest failure after 6 rounds" etc etc.

Guys, we lost 58-0 in a final, and only a few games later we lost 59-0. We are consistently losing games by 16+. We were up 18-0 the other week and didn't fire a single shot in the 2nd half and lost 20-18. This should not happen to ANY NRL team, let alone the Broncos with how much talent we have here.

We have FAILED. I don't care if you put in a team full of Under 18s against an NRL team, no team should lose 58-0 and then 59-0. EVER. It shouldn't happen under any circumstances.

People making excuses for Seibold are unbelievable to me. He's got to go. We won't and can't turn this around with Seibold at the helm. We are a disgrace. We need to accept it rather than making excuses every week and living in a fools paradise imagining some sort of form reversal.
-99 after 6 rounds **** me dead

Last edited:
He needs to be given a chance to see if he can get these guys to play for him, I'm happy to give him the next two-three weeks against fellow strugglers.

He needs to be given a chance to see if he can get these guys to play for him, I'm happy to give him the next two-three weeks against fellow strugglers.
Beating minows won't really mean much (assuming it happens) the real test is how we compete against top 8 sides.

Beating minows won't really mean much (assuming it happens) the real test is how we compete against top 8 sides.
It will buy Seibold time and get him out of the headlines if we can win 3 of the next 4 games though. Hopefully provide the playing group with some confidence when we do come up against the top 8 teams...

Remember last year when it was "beating the top teams means nothing, it's beating the teams below us that counts"
Yeah I do actually its just that this year we look like we'll struggle to beat anyone.
[automerge]1592787397[/automerge]
It will buy Seibold time and get him out of the headlines if we can win 3 of the next 4 games though. Hopefully provide the playing group with some confidence when we do come up against the top 8 teams...
Good point hope it happens but I'm not holding my breath at the moment.

Last edited:

What it does is show if he really has lost the group or not. These kids should be going with a positive mindset. All these injuries and suspensions, plus youth have been spouted as excuses from their coach and I am fairly sure they are unfortunately buying into this.

They can and should win these next few games. If they don't and give up as they have been doing in the last few weeks, that will show the coach has lost the group and needs to go, along with his undroppable losers.

Well, I think it's a bit premature to suggest failure after 6 rounds of the second season of rebuilding an entire team by a new coach with so many young and inexperienced players.

Having said that, it is worrying that key experienced players need rockets up their collective bums

I'm waiting for our best side on the paddock with a few games under its belt before I make meaningful comparisons and without any agendas
What team in the NRL has the luxury of putting their best team on the field for weeks on end? That rarely happens due to the physicality of the sport. Good sides are able to cover their losses and not have to rely on no hopers such as Arthars and Hopoate to try and fill a spot.

I hate to say it but even the best 17 in this squad is still not much of a lineup. They might make up the numbers come playoff time (like last year) but would pose no threat to the title. They are young like you say but this is the team that Seibs has assembled and he was the one touted as the man that will take that extra step to the promised land as opposed to Bennettball.

And who knows, maybe in 3-4 years time if this team sticks together, they could be a force. But again, this is RL, how many teams keep all the players that they desire? It never happens especially if you are getting your ass kicked every week and feeling the relentless pressure imposed on the club by the media and fans alike.

Seibs has big job getting this team out of the giant hole that he has dug. Personally, I think he is in way over his head here and this little Bronco stint is going to ruin his future coaching prospects.

It means a whole bunch when you're all competing for the spoon.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Bish
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Bronx48
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • jd87
  • Strop
  • kiwi2
  • Waynesaurus
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Lazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.