How to beat the Broncos

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
These are what I'd do as an opposition coach to nullify the brisbane force in 2015.

Bomb at Oates. He's shakey under the high ball. I'd work my sets to put it up and trap him two or three in from the sideline somehow. Don't want him running at players 1 on 1.

If that's too risky and you'd rather take his ball returns or of it completely, bomb it to boyd. He's only a safe as houses fullback who never tries to gain the extra metres and he's just happy to run it up and submit.

Draw boyd into the 4th and or 5th tackle as a front line defender. Manly did this. Put the ball through as a grubber cause boyd is too far out of position. I'd do this on the left side of the field. . That way you can

Grubber to kahu. He's fumbled a few in recent times and could be afraid of it. Roosters cashed in on this on recently.

Make blaire angry. Force him to overplay his mongrel and draw a penalty. Allow the Broncos easy metres up the middle same way we do and force Hunt into attacking kicks. Get him off his rythem of bombing from the 50.

Ask questions of the Broncos chasers. Turn them around. That's our only way of making metres back after submitting back and allowing teams to run the 10. They conserve line speed to have extra whack in defence and extra energy to chase kicks.

When kodi comes on, make sure you've saved a fresh interchange to go out there and whack him hard. Late if you have to. He's small. He'll get you if you're not ready. Attack him.

Run directly at and go through reed. Run your back rowers at him. Run them at Milford too. Early in the game. Don't let him get you later on in the game. Reed likes to tackle from the side or behind, don't let him. Run through him (find a way to isolate glenn further in field) get him to commit to the tackle then you have both reed and Milford to go for with two bigger dudes.

Give Hunt all the options to kick and no options to run the ball. Eventually he'll pick the wrong kick and over play his hand (kicking it dead or straight to a man)

Waste the dodds interchange by attacking down the edges while he's on. He isn't an attacking player so don't give him his moments to put on big hits. Run at him then pass at the line. Move the ball.

Anyone else think they have ideas on where we could be exploited?

I reckon delete that before opposition coaches catch on you dawg.

Haha yeah. Cause opposition coaches have no idea what they're doing already or get paid to know what they're doing already and are the professionals or anything haha

And clearly they take time to look at these kinds of threads lol

That's an awful lot of stuff to remember and put into action Marty. The thing is we want teams going up and down the field, so we concede ground then complete and kick. If we do it properly the big forwards are covering ground. Essentially we are backing our mobility and fitness and theoretically doing a bit less work because we don't do the up and back in D. This also makes it harder on opposition kickers because they are rooted as well.

Obvious downfall if we don't get it right is we are vulnerable to a good kicking game and being pinned for periods in our 20.

My only concern would be the hail-mary plays. Like the Cowboy's second one - an outside back kicking it back infield on the last. Everything else we seem well drilled for, but something random and low-percentage might just come off, it's just a matter of whether the stars are aligned.

Haha yeah. Cause opposition coaches have no idea what they're doing already or get paid to know what they're doing already and are the professionals or anything haha

And clearly they take time to look at these kinds of threads lol

Im glad you understand.

The only way to beat the Broncos is to get the new RLL3 game, turn on your PS4 or Xbox, put the difficulty on the lowest level and hope for no glitches!

The only way to beat the Broncos is to get the new RLL3 game, turn on your PS4 or Xbox, put the difficulty on the lowest level and hope for no glitches!

Hahaha this. I HATE playing on easy. So much more like league when you play the hardest level. Anyone want a game?

Storm, Bulldogs, Roosters and Cowboys all showed how to beat us in their victories. Play the perfect game. Perfect kicking, dominate possession, keep us pinned down our end of the field as much as you can, for the entire 80 minutes, and then, only then will you beat us....just, because we will keep coming for the entire 80.

Im not sure of your theory of running around Dodds. I've seen him make a diving one handed tackle and bring the player down.

Just thought it would be an interesting thread to mix it up a bit.

Point out our strengths and how to play around them. Positive thread.. If you think about how to actually beat us you start to think, hold on, it's not easy.

I hope we go all the way and keep playing perfect for the next 160mins of the season - injury free

Kevin Walters:

"Speaking on NRL 360 on Wednesday night, Broncos assistant coach Kevin Walters revealed that the team had addressed their inability to restrict the metres made by opposition teams through the middle of the field.

Ben Hunt:

"It's something that a lot of teams have been doing against us the last couple of months," Hunt said. "They've been rolling up the field way too easy and in the finals it's all about field position and completion rates and defending well.
"We've got to lock some teams in their own half to get some field position."

Hunt's homework on No.1 threats - NRL.com

At last... so much for the stupid "wait for them to come us" defensive mentality

Hopefully the Broncos address other 'deliberate' tactics like Hunt kicking it down the receiver's throat or the one where they infrequently throw the ball behind the intended receiver to put the defence in two minds.

Active Now

• jd87
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Maroon4life
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • mitch222
  • Redux
  • Strop
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Inknition
... and 72 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.