Hunt becomes the hunted as Nikorima lurks

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BEN Hunt is facing another challenge for his No.7 jersey as Wayne Bennett declared Kodi Nikorima has the opportunity to become Brisbane’s next long-term halfback.

The Broncos have secured Nikorima for a further three seasons, locking him up at Red Hill until at least the end of 2020.

Nikorima, 23, will replace Dragons-bound Hunt in the jersey made famous by Allan Langer next year but he is mounting a case for an earlier elevation in the run to the NRL finals.

Bennett sent Hunt to reserve grade last month and opted to start Nikorima at halfback. In the seven games Nikorima has started at halfback this season the Broncos are unbeaten.

While he produced two tries with deft kicks, Hunt was erratic at times during last Saturday’s scratchy win against lowly Newcastle in his return from State of Origin.

Nikorima sat out the Knights game but Bennett confirmed he was in the mix for a recall in Thursday’s clash against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium.

Anthony Milford is guaranteed to start at five-eighth while Hunt, Nikorima and Benji Marshall are his possible playmaking partners.

Bennett said he was yet to decide on the make-up of his team for the Bulldogs game and would not be looking to the future with his selections.

“They are all a chance,” Bennett said.

“I haven’t made a decision.

“It’s not about next year. It’s about this year and the next game of football.”

Nikorima had the opportunity to activate a one-year extension at the Broncos but instead brokered a new three-year deal.

Bennett said he had no hesitation in locking up the New Zealand international and he could now press his claims to be Brisbane’s permanent halfback.

“We value him. He will be the halfback here next year. He knows that,” he said.

“Hopefully he can go along and be the halfback here for a long time.

“He just needs the opportunity. He got one when Ben got injured and showed us what he could do.

“We’re more than happy to keep him in that position going forward long-term.

“We know what Kodi brings. He’s been a member of the team now for nearly three years since I’ve been back.

“He plays multiple positions for us when he has to. We’re more than happy to sign him for three years and to have him as our halfback.”

Nikorima, now 46 games into his NRL career, said he explored options at other clubs before deciding to commit to Brisbane in the hope of securing the No. 7 duties next year.

“Wayne said there was an opportunity for me,” he said.

“He has every belief in me. I see myself as a half and I have another three years. Whether it (the opportunity) comes next year remains to be seen.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking elsewhere but my number one priority was to stay at the club. I was really excited to sign.

“I’ll play wherever Wayne wants me to play.’’

Bennett will finalise his team for the Bulldogs game at Wednesday’s training session, however Maroons stars Josh McGuire and Matt Gillett are certain to return after being rested.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...0/news-story/bac6cc7f3dbcb69c2bcc2cb3b24b1a9e

Hunt goes from Origin benchie to reserve grade in a matter of weeks

I'd start him for at least the next 4 games, with either Hunt or Benji on the bench. If you're not gonna start him, you have to send him to QCup surely, to gain match fitness and keep practicing the Halfback position?

Keep Kodi as starting HB...Bengi on the bench... Hunt Q cup. KodiKodi is our long term halfback and imo should get as many games as possible... I remember a load of whiners bagging Alfie in the old days when he had the occasional ordinary game but look how he turned out for us.... Kodi isn't Alf but could be really good in his own right..... Ben Hunt is going elseware so why waste time making him a better player for st George?

Kodi is a good bench utility, with his awesome quick scoots. That's his best spot in the 17.

I'd send Kodi to the QCup to learn how to play halfback for next year.
Hunt is also a good bench utility. He was chosen by QLD to play in that role.
Let Marshall get the next shot with Milford. We're heading into the business end of the season and Marshall's experience may be invaluable considering Milford's lack of experience.

In terms of choosing our other half for next year, I'd let Marshall and Kodi fight it out at that stage.

I think Milford will be playing halfback next year.

I think Milford will be playing halfback next year.

He'll likely have full control of the team (and so he should given his pay packet) ... but i expect him to be wearing the 6

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.