Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
9c27569962e9a09269f60ae8cababe38

Ben Hunt ready to step in as Cameron Smith’s hooker replacement

October 11, 2017

BEN Hunt is feeling a bit like the back up vocalist placed on standby just in case Bruce Springsteen gets laryngitis.

Just as Bruce is The Boss of the music world, Cameron Smith casts a massive shadow in rugby league as the man who seems to play forever and wins everything on the way.

But if anything happens to the star hooker in the World Cup Hunt will be the man who replaces Mr Irreplaceable.

“Obviously in my eyes and in many around he is the best there has ever been in that position,’’ Hunt said of Smith.

“He has been the Australian captain for a long time now. It is just exciting to be in camp with him and learn from him.’’

Before he cast his sights forward, Hunt spent time looking back at the Broncos presentation night last Friday.

He has now officially cut ties with the Broncos and is a Dragon for the next six years, a transition more emotional than he thought it would be.

“It was a little bit tough. I did not think in the middle of the year I was going to be too emotional but in the dressing room after Melbourne game I got a bit emotional particularly with blokes I have played with for a long time.

“After the game I am not sure whether I shed a tear but I came close.

“You see guys like Alex Glenn and Andrew McCullough who I have played with for along time and you do get emotional.

“He (McCullough) and I played our first game together when we were 12 so it has been a long journey. We are great mates and will always been great mates. We embraced each other and he said it was a pleasure to play with each other for all those years.

“I saw a few of them at the Broncos (presentation night) and it sunk it that was my last official duty for the club.’’

Hunt is proud of his career at the Broncos even if it fell agonisingly short of delivering his heart’s desire in the 2015 grand final against the Cowboys when he spilt a kick-off in extra time.

“Everyone can always improve on what they have done. I started pretty slow at the Broncos having those few years off the bench. Then I got a chance to play halfback and took it on and played some good footy for them. I don’t have many regrets.

“Obviously in that (2015) grand final (against the Cowboys) things could have gone a different way but I don’t regret anything.’’

Hunt has been given permission by coach Mal Meninga to break camp for his wedding to Bridget Hagen and will miss the November 3 pool match against France in Canberra.

“The next couple of months are going to be pretty crazy. I am lucky enough we don’t have to reschedule the wedding. Mal said I can have that game off. He was pretty understanding.

His quest for improvement is ceaseless and he has already noted areas he can improve on at the Dragons.

“For most of my career the things I felt I had to work on were my defence and my kicking game.

“I feel like they have got to a point where they have got where they need to be so I want to work on running the ball and play into the line a bit more.

“When you look at players like Thurston and Cronk they play right in the line and take it on. That is something I need to work on.’’

Source: Courier Mail

Is Bruce Springsteen still relevant .....?

I’d give Ben one good year at St George followed by three years of abuse by the Sydney media. At that point he will be released and play out his career at the Titans/Bears

I’d give Ben one good year at St George followed by three years of abuse by the Sydney media. At that point he will be released and play out his career at the Titans/Bears

I'd have to disagree. Dragons have a good pack. Decent hooker in McInnes and Widdop and Hunt as halves. I think Hunt will be very successful at St. George.

There's too many ahead of Hunt who isn't even a natural rake. He can slot in if absolutely necessary but most certainly isn't a first choice when Smith retires.

I'd have to disagree. Dragons have a good pack. Decent hooker in McInnes and Widdop and Hunt as halves. I think Hunt will be very successful at St. George.

Agree hunt as a running 5/8 , next to widdop is a good combo

Yes, I can definitely see him work well with Widdop, unless they make Ben take charge. That might fire back spectacularly like it did with Marshall...

I wasn't even aware Hunt made the Australian World Cup Squad. Good on him. I really like him.

If he didn't go to St George, I'd give him a decent shot but that club with that media, are just brutal.

Have to say I thought they could kick off 2018 with better matches. Good to see Perth games though.

Dragons v Broncos as a season opener is a fucking terrible idea.

Why not Cowboys v Broncos?

Dragons v Broncos as a season opener is a fucking terrible idea.

Why not Cowboys v Broncos?

Dragons and Broncos do have a competitive history so it's at least got credibility, a lot of the other matches are so meh.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Redux
  • Cavalo
  • Broncorob
  • DMZ
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncs30
  • Midean
  • Brotherdu
  • ezpz
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • MrMoore
  • Rookie Alan
  • RodF
  • winslow_wong
... and 50 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.