I wish Wallace would run the ball

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Looked at the stats today and what I thought to be was in fact correct, Wallace runs less than any other halfback stalwart in the NRL:

Total Runs for the season
Thurston - 104
Cronk - 74
Carney - 72
Mullen - 70
Pearce - 69
Soward - 67
Finch - 62
Orford - 61
Kimmorley - 49 (He used to run a lot this just shows he is getting old)
Prince - 48 (Could hardly believe this, shows his choices are great, he has still scored 4 tries and made 5 line breaks)
Wallace - 46

Now Wallace has been very good this year, but watching Cronk shape to kick and then turn back inside and waltz over this afternoon highlighted to me the lack of a threat Peter is making of himself by not having the run as a weapon in his arsenal. All the best halfbacks have been great ball runners; Johns, Langer, Sterling, Thurston are all players who are/were capable of cutting defenses to ribbons because the defense are looking for a pass or kick so are backing away. Wallace has a sound passing and kicking game I would just LOVE it if he attacked the line himself if nothing else but to put the defensive line in 2 minds from time to time. You only have to watch a Knights or Cowboys match to see how damaging a running 7 can be, as Mullen and Thurston are IMO the most damaging in the game at the moment.

On the plus side, there is less chance that he'll be injured. [icon_razz1

But I agree. Hopefully he'll pick it up as he goes...if he plays with Lockyer there is no reason he shouldn't.

I dont think he has really needed to run it a great deal this year, his role has been more of a distributor and kicker.

With Lockyer in the team he commands the ball on most occasions and he is the most likely to run at the line himself.

However I would like to see Wally take the line on a bit more, Origin 1 reminds me instantly....in the first 5mins he cut QLD up with a right foot step and jink. I also remember a few occasions against the tigers when he took the line on with success. It all about choosing the right moments to go but!

Well Thurston only runs it because he hasn't got anyone decent to pass to.

I agree he needs to run it more though but it should always be quality over quantity. It's all about picking the right time when the defence won't be expecting it. I mean Prince (the most dnagerous halfback in the NRL at the moment) has only notched two more runs this season.

if we're talking about the running game of our halves when was the last time (bar the match winner against Parra) Locky took on the line? Granted he's coming back from a knee reco this year but ever since moving to 5/8 his running game has pretty much disappeared.

The guy has enough problems with balls as it is. Leave him alone.

Fully agree FCB. And just think how much pressure this would take off Lockyer!! Wallace certainly has the vision to be a ball runner and if he was confident enough to do this it would be a great weapon for us icon_thumbs_u

Worth remembering to, that we were playing some beautiful attacking football (even without Lockyer) before the usual bullshite of origin and injuries hit home.

If It aint broke, don't fix it imo, and if we can return to that style of footy again post origin I don't care if Wallace hardly ever looks to go it alone.

Wallace is at a new club unlike those other halfbacks. it takes weeks of getting use to the team before he can start taking control of the team. Then came origin so he wouldnt be as high as the rest. i wouldnt read to much into that stat.

Shouldn't we also be taking into account that injuries have also prevented him from being higher up on that list?

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with how Wallace is playing. I think he's a great judge of when to run with the ball and take the line on, and when to shift it out wide. I don't really see any point in wishing for him to run at the line when he can see opportunities elsewhere...

Sure, he's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he's 400x better than anything else in the #7 jersey since Alf imo.

mick! said:
Shouldn't we also be taking into account that injuries have also prevented him from being higher up on that list?

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with how Wallace is playing. I think he's a great judge of when to run with the ball and take the line on, and when to shift it out wide. I don't really see any point in wishing for him to run at the line when he can see opportunities elsewhere...

Sure, he's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he's 400x better than anything else in the #7 jersey since Alf imo.

I agree mick. also we should remember that he is only young and will definitely improve. especially working with Alfie next year and also Lockyer and Henjak ( a former halfback i believe) icon_thumbs_u

yeah remember he was in the reseverse at penrith then he moves to the broncos and he looks to his left sees rep players looks to his right more rep player. The second half of the season should she him take more controll and now that he has a point to prove with the dissapointment of the injury and missing out on soo3 he should show more dominance

A more telling stat would be a percantage of line breaks to runs. There is no point running and getting your half smashed. As mentioned above he hasn't needed to run a lot, when his forwards are good we have good outside backs and when they are shite there's nowhere to run. I have noticed he runs a bit more when Locky is on the field .

The Rock said:
Dexter said:
A more telling stat would be a percantage of line breaks to runs. There is no point running and getting your half smashed. As mentioned above he hasn't needed to run a lot, when his forwards are good we have good outside backs and when they are shite there's nowhere to run. I have noticed he runs a bit more when Locky is on the field .

That's exactly right, because he has a chance to run and has a little more freedom. He ran a lot when he played for Penrith too. I don't see it as a problem anyway.

I see Wallace's combination with Hunt more of a problem if anything. I'd like to see Hunt hang off Wallace a bit more up the middle - Hunt is so dangerous up the middle when he gets a good ball.

True - but it would be nice to see him get up front to get the money ball.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • Dony Eliakim
  • broncs30
  • NSW stables
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Browny
  • broncsgoat
  • Manlyman
  • Redux
  • Justwin
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Skyblues87
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.