NEWS Ikin: why Glenn will succeed as captain

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The Courier Mail's Chris Honnery asks Ben Ikin why Alex Glenn, and not say, Matt Lodge?

“He’s a terrific player. He consistently delivers. He’s highly respected by all his teammates. He speaks well, leads well, plays well. He’s a good human being. It’s a really clever choice. I’m a huge Darius Boyd fan. If they were going to shift away from him, Alex Glenn was the best choice. The fascinating thing in this, I don’t think you can talk about the leadership succession at the Broncos as seamless. It’s been a really lumpy journey. It looked like he was entertaining deals elsewhere including the Penrith Panthers but if a week is a long time in rugby league, then what happens in 12 months is incredible. However they got there, I think they’ve made the right decision in the end. Sometimes it’s not about how you get there, but about making the right decision in the end.”

“Darius did a terrific job as captain over the last 12 months in challenging times. But one thing I saw throughout the year was that for whatever reason there was a lot of external noise and pressure around Darius. Darius is a legend of our club and a legend of our game … and I just wanted to take some of those commitments away. He doesn’t need to do all the external things that a club captain has to do.”

McHunt

Active Now

• Maddy
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • lynx000
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
  • cento
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • pennywisealfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Accept
  • Spoon
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.